Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In the sticks in Parker County Texas (WNW of Ft. Worth)
    2003 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2004 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2005 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    2006 BMW 330 ZHPs For Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by SoarinZHP View Post
    The cooling system is one of the weakest systems on the cars due to the fact most of it is made from plastic. The waterpump, thermostat housing and water pump and reservoir are made from plastic and get brittle over time. The hoses deteriorate, too. ......
    All very true. But that's about all I've seen the experts agree on, which makes a calculated determination of when to replace/upgrade very confusing. Too much seems to depend entirely on how the car's been driven, conditions it's driven in, etc. Even things like aluminum housing seems to be up for debate.

For example, if memory serves me correctly TurnerMotorsports (very well respected of course) has a special cooling system package for the E46 3 Series, but the thermostat seems to have the same plastic housing as OE. But then you listen to someone like Mike Miller (BMW CCA's tech guru) and he says it's of utmost importance to use a thermostat with aluminum housing.

I've had 6 BMW's and 4 of them exceeded 100k miles on the original radiators w/o any problem. The other two didn't reach 100k miles before I sold them, but never had an issue with the radiator, waterpump or thermostat on any of them. IIRC, I replaced thermostats as preventive maintenance on each though, and a few hoses on them.

I just regularly check for things like leaks, I keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure it doesn't start fluctuating, etc. If/when I see something that makes me suspicious, then I'll take it in and have someone investigate.

That said, if I keep my car I am thinking about updating the radiator to an aluminum one. Not because I'm suspicious that it's fixing to fail, just because I think an aluminum radiator looks uber cool. lol

Rusty
    '05 330i ZHP in Imola

Well said. I have 128k miles on original cooling system now.

I think frequent checking, topping up, and overfilling may contribute to premature failure. Just a hunch.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Guys, it's well established as to what and when to replace in the E46 cooling system. The generally accepted replacement interval, the one which keeps you ahead of the game in avoiding a leak, is 60k miles. Cost of doing a thorough replacement (minus radiator) is about $450 in parts for E46 models with manual transmission. There are nearly 20 parts involved, most of which can either be the source of a leak or the source of serpentine belt breakage (that being the belt which drives the water/coolant pump). Once you spring a leak at operating temperature, the coolant drains very quickly and engine damage due to over-heating is very near.

The radiator is rarely the culprit in catastrophic failure and its suggested replacement interval is 90-100k miles. If you're a gambler, bet on a leaking radiator sooner than later if your ZHP has not had 2-3 proper coolant flushes, depending on its age. Proper flush includes using BMW's coolant mixed with distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    Guys, it's well established as to what and when to replace in the E46 cooling system. The generally accepted replacement interval, the one which keeps you ahead of the game in avoiding a leak, is 60k miles. Cost of doing a thorough replacement (minus radiator) is about $450 in parts for E46 models with manual transmission. There are nearly 20 parts involved, most of which can either be the source of a leak or the source of serpentine belt breakage (that being the belt which drives the water/coolant pump). Once you spring a leak at operating temperature, the coolant drains very quickly and engine damage due to over-heating is very near.

The radiator is rarely the culprit in catastrophic failure and its suggested replacement interval is 90-100k miles. If you're a gambler, bet on a leaking radiator sooner than later if your ZHP has not had 2-3 proper coolant flushes, depending on its age. Proper flush includes using BMW's coolant mixed with distilled water.
    Is there a thread that details these 20 parts somewhere? I don't own a ZHP yet--but I am wondering if this job is something I can DIY or not. The idea of buying a ZHP and then immediately having to put a grand into it the day I take delivery replacing cooling sounds like kind of a wet blanket.

EDIT: Never mind--I didn't notice there was a link to a RTF above...

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    Is there a thread that details these 20 parts somewhere? I don't own a ZHP yet--but I am wondering if this job is something I can DIY or not. The idea of buying a ZHP and then immediately having to put a grand into it the day I take delivery replacing cooling sounds like kind of a wet blanket.

EDIT: Never mind--I didn't notice there was a link to a RTF above...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Tom, I didn't think I was a red car person either, until I saw imola red on natural brown interior. Game over. Sold.
    Funny thing. One of my earlier cars was a red Prelude... I remember red being nice. I forgot how much care is required to take care of red paint. However, when I saw my Imola red 330i ZHP at the dealer, I got goosebumps. I knew that was MY car from the moment I saw it. And I LOVE driving my Imola Red ZHP!!!
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Looks like the price is down to $19,500 (obo) on cars.com. Is the driver's seat leather? Back seems to be alcantara or is that the lighting? OP states "Otherwise all the standard alcantara appointments".

clarification

When I wrote Post #7, I had been under the mistaken impression this car had 58k miles on it (I'm now seeing it's actually 48k). Therefore, preventive cooling system replacement won't be needed for a while.

Probably another year or so.

In the sticks in Parker County Texas (WNW of Ft. Worth)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Looks like the price is down to $19,500 (obo) on cars.com. Is the driver's seat leather? Back seems to be alcantara or is that the lighting? OP states "Otherwise all the standard alcantara appointments".
    Sorry for the confusion. I'm having to close my eyes here and visualize my interior (you'd think after 48k miles this wouldn't be that hard..lol), but if I'm not mistaken, on ZHP models (at least 2005's) the steering wheel, a-pillar and headliner were alcantara. On many ZHP's, as you may have noticed in seeing cars in person or in pics, the alcantara didn't hold up so well on the steering wheel. It would pile. As many others did, I too was able to get my dealer to replace mine under warranty with a leather M3 multi-function wheel. Same basic wheel as the original, just leather rather than alcantara. Personally I love it.

The interior is leather. Must be the lighting you're seeing (I SUCK at taking pics). AFAIK, they didn't use alcantara on any of the seat parts in any of the MY's.

Rusty

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast