Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

BMW 330i ZHP fuel pump DIY doityourself

Time: 1 hour

Parts: fuel pump 16146766942

Tank level: I had 7/8 tank and spilled maybe 1/4 cup...if that.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=16_0373& hg=16&fg=15

Tools:
    1. 10mm socket, 1/4" ratchet
    2. Rags
    3. 2 small tweakers (screwdrivers)
    4. Wheel alignment tool (to plug supply tubing)
    5. Hammer and large screwdriver.

***ENSURE CAR IS IN WELL VENTILATED AREA***

STEP 1 - Disconnect negative terminal on battery. Use 10mm socket here.

STEP 2 - Pull up on front edge of back seat to release clips. Set backseat aside.

STEP 3 - Remove sound damping material around fuel pump access plate. Mine just crumbled.

STEP 4 - Remove access plate by removing 4 10mm nuts. Slide electrical wiring up plate and set aside. Yes..you will likely see an unplugged connector. Some say this is used as a tamper kill switch during shipping...don't worry about it.

STEP 5 - Disconnect electrical connection by pulling lock clip toward passenger side of car. As it unlock//slides...the connection will become disconnected.

STEP 6 - Disconnect supply tubing by releasing hose clamp. Use a small socket or screwdriver here. Have your tubing plug ready...then plug hole after disconnection. This was the biggest pita for me. I used the two small tweakers to work in along the side of the hose, to break the seal. There may be enough extra hose to just cut it, but I wasn't taking any chances.

STEP 7 - Using hammer and large screwdriver hit locking ring smartly at various opposite locations to rotate and loosen lock ring. Remove lock ring and set aside.

STEP 8 - Pull pump up and out slowly, allowing pump to drain off into tank. Some finagling has to occur here due to the way the level sender is designed. Remove blue lock gasket with the pump and do not drop in tank. I cleaned up the used gasket here and re-used. It looked brand new.

Gas level is right at the rim.

STEP 9 - Re-assembly is in reverse of above direction. Ensure car smells of zero gas before making the connection at the negative battery terminal.

Also..do not install metal cover or backseat, until you turn key, wait 15 seconds, start car, and inspect for leaks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Was just thinking something good had to come from all your efforts, and here it is!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Was just thinking something good had to come from all your efforts, and here it is!
    Thanks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks Dane.

I put one of your ZHPmafia business card on the windshield of a beautiful black M3 parked next to me today.

Told him/her to join us.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Thanks Dane.

I put one of your ZHPmafia business card on the windshield of a beautiful black M3 parked next to me today.

Told him/her to join us.
    Thanks Oli.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Thanks for the post Dane. I got mine replaced today. Besides removing the old hose clamp, the only other part I found to be difficult was reiinstalling the electrical connection to the top of the fuel pump. Here is a video I found that helped me out, and may help out some others. Start at the 4:14 mark. You need to pull the connection out of the housing, push it on, then slide the assembly forward.

Last edited by quikryptonite; 03-29-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added Video
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration