Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereo remodel

Red face Stereo remodel

Well I am already contemplating my first mod and I have only had the car for 2 weeks, go figure. So far I have done:

Oil & Filter
    Spark Plugs
    Diff & Transmission Fluid --- After reading the review I am going with RP syncomax and RP Gear oil
    Brake Fluid -- ATE Super Blue
    DICE 1530 w/ BlueTooth

So onto the stereo. The car came with the Business CD player and some weird IPOD connection. I don't know who makes the connection, but it is a white cord and has pretty much zilch options for on screen, it doesn't even display the song.
    I have BMW assist but no bluetooth. Have SOS button on mirror, but when I push the Voice icon on the steering wheel nothing happens. Also ripped out the rear liner last week and could not find a bluetooth box.
    Anyways I really love bluetooth, but don't really care for nav. What are my options? Its hard to justify paying $400 bucks for the OEM bluetooth box when I can just buy a dynavin for $600 and have nav as well.

Your thought would be appreciated

Posted it here because I will be documenting the process!
    Last edited by ryrules1; 10-31-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: updates

I am no where near as up to date on I.C.E as I once use to be. This is my input though. I currently have OEM Stereo and bluetooth and I love it. I personally cant see doing aftermarket in a BMW, I dont know, its just a preference thing...

With that said, a friend of mine has a F350 Super Duty Power Stroke that is modded to the gills. He has a double din Pioneer in the dash with bluetooth and one of the things I love about it that my car does not do is he can transfer music and all the information from his iPod right onto the screen/unit through bluetooth. He doesnt have to hook up any wires or anything. I thought that was pretty awesome.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

I highly recommend the Dension Gateway line of products if you want iPod integration and bluetooth. Mine doesn't have bluetooth as I bought a model without it (Gateway 300), but they have higher up models that work with non-nav units. Completely integrated; has the most features I found of the other integration kits. Plus, it would have the capability of bluetooth, so you have your cake and eat it too.

Here is my review of the Gateway 300:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...on-Gateway-300

Dension's website:
    www.dension.com

Much cheaper than a Dynavin, even cheaper on eBay!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

No issues with the previous recommendations, I'll just let you know what I have. For Bluetooth, I bought the Parrot (CK3100 I believe, maybe a 3200, I forget), which gives you Bluetooth capability. Works fine. At the same time there is a kit called the Connects2, out of England, which provides connectivity to the steering wheel functions, as if it was OEM (although I don't think it supports voice command on NAV, it does support voice command on phone). Again, works fine, fairly common setup.

For IPOD, I have the DICE kit, which uses the IPOD type cable (not AUX) which charges the IPOD, and displays the song info, etc. on my NAV screen. This too, works just fine for me, but it has had a reputation for being a little "buggy". Once in a blue moon I reboot mine, but that's not a biggie. BTW, $400 is a lot for OEM bluetooth, still not sure why they charge those prices. Parrot/Connects2 is less (but I forget the cost). Hope this helps.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Ok following up all suggestions:

Love the Dension Gateway unfortunately the bluetooth version isn't compatible with our car . I dont like the parrot because you have to put that ugly screen/button somewhere in the car. Would rather have a clean stereo install. Really dont want to spent 400 bucks a stupid OEM box that only does bluetooth, any other suggestion.

Dynavin?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thinking more and more about Dynavin. The parrot also doesn't show who is calling, which is a must for me.

Here are the options I have come across so car.

Parrot 3000 Evolution: Need connect2 adaptor to work with steering wheel controls. This is a cheap option under $200 but NO CALLER ID
    Dension Gateway 500: Bluetooth and Ipod, costs around $400 on ebay. Looks awesome, but not compatible w/ E46
    Dynavin: Nice, has OEM look, Expensive! But UI looks like crap and seem to have quality control issues.
    BMW OEM ULF Since I have BMW assit I only really need the ULF box, which is expensive even used goes for $400. I also need to confirm I have all the wiring necessary.

Let me know if you come across any other options. Hopefully this post will help the next person like me out!

Quote Originally Posted by ryrules1 View Post
    Ok following up all suggestions:

Love the Dension Gateway unfortunately the bluetooth version isn't compatible with our car . I dont like the parrot because you have to put that ugly screen/button somewhere in the car. Would rather have a clean stereo install. Really dont want to spent 400 bucks a stupid OEM box that only does bluetooth, any other suggestion.
    My "ugly button thing" is in the trunk, on the drivers side, tucked in with all the other audio stuff, so it's not an issue.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by ryrules1 View Post
    Thinking more and more about Dynavin. The parrot also doesn't show who is calling, which is a must for me.

Here are the options I have come across so car.

Parrot 3000 Evolution: Need connect2 adaptor to work with steering wheel controls. This is a cheap option under $200 but NO CALLER ID
    Dension Gateway 500: Bluetooth and Ipod, costs around $400 on ebay. Looks awesome, but not compatible w/ E46
    Dynavin: Nice, has OEM look, Expensive! But UI looks like crap and seem to have quality control issues.
    BMW OEM ULF Since I have BMW assit I only really need the ULF box, which is expensive even used goes for $400. I also need to confirm I have all the wiring necessary.

Let me know if you come across any other options. Hopefully this post will help the next person like me out!
    Hmmm, my old Parrot had caller ID, not even sure if this one does, as I have my phone mounted near the dash, so I just look at the phone when a call comes in. Don't really do that many calls from my car... so I'll take your word for it but I'll check it out too.

Yea let me know what you come up with, because for some reason if CALLER ID does work then it is a no brainier.
    Last edited by ryrules1; 10-05-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast