Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shifter slop

Shifter slop

I'm thinking of going with the BMW performance SSK. While I'm at it, I really need to tighten up the shifter mechanism, I can wiggle the shifter probably 3/4" total while in gear.

So I was looking at ECS Tuning and I see that they sell the BMW SSK and also a shifter bushing kit. I assume that I need the bushing kit to remove most of the slop, but my question is: what about aftermarket selector rods... are these a good investment? I've seen the UUC unit advertised and it makes sense but I'm not sure if it works in the real world.
    2004 Alpinweiss 330Ci ZHP 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by cparker View Post
    I'm thinking of going with the BMW performance SSK. While I'm at it, I really need to tighten up the shifter mechanism, I can wiggle the shifter probably 3/4" total while in gear.

So I was looking at ECS Tuning and I see that they sell the BMW SSK and also a shifter bushing kit. I assume that I need the bushing kit to remove most of the slop, but my question is: what about aftermarket selector rods... are these a good investment? I've seen the UUC unit advertised and it makes sense but I'm not sure if it works in the real world.
    I bought a UUC Evo3 and DSSR. Supposed to be delivered Mon but not sure how fast I'll get it installed.

Which SSK are you looking at? The one with the aluminum knob and s shaped arm isn't perfectly compatible with ZHP's.

William.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.855609,-118.398141
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I'm talking about the BMW kit that comes with the ZHP knob. The UUC shifter is way out of my price range.

I have BMW ssk, I think it is one of my favorite mods. Price was right, my car is DD

I got the BMW ssk also and still have some slop like you describe so I think bushings may fix it. If it does then I'll do it as well since I want to get rid of my slop also.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

When I get to it I'm definitely going to do the bushing so I'll let you guys know if it works or not. I would definitely like to know if the aftermarket connecting rod would play a big part in tightening things up?

I think you can get a solid 80/20 solution out of just replacing all the bushings in the assembly with stock parts. I did this on my E30, added a Z3 1.9 shifter arm (popular choice for the e30 crowd) and the change was remarkable.

I replaced 7, 10, 11, 2, and 4. To put it all back together with 4 new washers (#10) is actually really difficult and very very tight.

15 is apparently a very big deal in slop but I could not even get close to getting that thing off without taking the whole freakin car apart so I called it done.

Again, might not be as great as an aftermarket selector rod or DSSR, but it is also a ton cheaper.

the UUC EVO3 kit w/ DSSR =

i too gots me some shift slop

that and the steering wheel are next on my list...
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

I too just got the UUC shifter kit and DSSR, they were an early Christmas gift. I have yet to have them installed, but I've driven a ZHP with both installed and it has to be one of my favorite differences between my car and his. Its well worth it.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

local indy shop quoted $225 for the complete UUC kit+dssr install

seems a little high no? i got the typical "you get what you pay for" defence from the technician...
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast