Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

HELP! - AL HID low beam doesnt wanna work

OK, so after I put my lights back together/in my car now my drivers side low beam doesn't wanna work. I thought maybe the bulb burned out (i dunno, its 6 years old) so i picked up one from the stealership. I pulled out the old bulb and replaced it, didn't change anything, light was still out. I took the original bulb from the drivers side and the ignitor from the drivers side, switched them with the ones from the passenger side that were working and the issue was the same - drivers side doesn't work, passenger does. Put the new bulb back in its package since I know the bulb inst the issue. Now i know its not the bulb or ignitor so my next thing to look at the wiring. Took out the wires from the drivers side headlight housing and blew the dust out with compressed air, put them back in and when I looked at the bulb it was lit. Turned off my car, waited a little while impressed at myself with having fixed it but now I gotta go return the new bulb. Was gonna drive back to the parts dept when I decided to test it one more time, it won't light up again. HELP please...

Last edited by Hermes; 10-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.

My cousins E46 did this, it would work at random times. I found a smashed xenon light assembly and transferred the Ballast and the ignitor, small black box over to the good one. It has been fine since.
    Last edited by Whitexi; 10-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

which parts are you talking about? I switched 9 & 11 to the other side and they work there, its the driver's side that doesnt wanna work

I had the same issue...kind of...on my ride a while back. I could get the drivers side to work.....but not the pass side.

Then....we got the bulb seated properly (i think) and it worked.

Not a lot of help here JP, sorry...

I would do(and have done) exactly what you're doing.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

thanks dw, i'll go try to see if maybe thats all it is.

yeah i just wanted to see if i could figure it out myself before picking your brains. you gotta get the logical reasons out of the way first. just so confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    thanks dw, i'll go try to see if maybe thats all it is.

yeah i just wanted to see if i could figure it out myself before picking your brains. you gotta get the logical reasons out of the way first. just so confused...
    And that was after buying a new ballast/ignitor.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

This is for the sedan one I did but number 15 is the ballast and 16 is the ignitor. I wasn't sure what was wrong on the car so just swapped out both. The ignitor is a small black box inside the headlight assembly.

Ebay link to show example of said parts

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...item5d3081639f

You did just have the headlights apart, maybe a connector came loose?

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

maybe... dont really wanna have to take the whole thing apart again, but i guess i should check. dont wanna buy new ones. those are either 16 or 17 on mine, i'm thinking 16

16 CONTROL UNIT XENON LIGHT AL 63127176068 $449.90
    17 Electronics box ALC uncoded 63127189312 $147.35

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    There Ballast and ignitor are two separate parts for the E46's. For the sedan at least but I would think the same for the coupes. To change the ignitor I had to take apart the entire headlight.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast