Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starter on the way Out

Well, it seems as though my starter is on the way out now. I just read the starter DIY on here and will attempt it. My symptoms are metal like clank/knocking/grind for about one to two seconds after the car starts. Sound like it's coming from drivers side where starter is located. My question is which brand starter? Should I go with Bosch or BMW?

Any chance you could make a video? Hate to go through all that work if it's something else. I don't know for sure but I would think either brand would be ok. I wonder if the BMW one isn't just a Bosch to begin with. I believe Autozone has a lifetime warranty on their reman starters and it looks like they are Bosch.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0_206563_1693_

Did you see this DIY? Makes it sound not too bad but I'm definitely not looking forward to having to do it someday.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...le-as-it-seems

Here's another one I have saved. It looks like that one is a Denso starter.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=732743

Barry

Yep, read them both. I will try to make a video. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by echo46 View Post
    Yep, read them both. I will try to make a video. Thanks.
    Usually you will get a squealing sound after the engine starts when you have a sticking solenoid so that's why it would be nice to hear it. The "clank/knocking/grind" you mention is what makes me wonder if it may be something else. How many miles on your car? Gotta admit though, it's been a LONG time since I've heard a sticking solenoid so I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what it sounds like.

My start up noise sounds exactly like David's in this thread:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ld-Start-Noise

I pmd him to see if the problem ever came back or stay resolved. I will check oil level.

I agree with MrMaico, when my solenoid was failing it was giving my a squealing noise at startup for about a half second or so as the spring pulling it back wasn't pulling hard/fast enough anymore and confirmed that when I got it off and it would move back and forth just shaking the unit.

That being said there are several ways the starter/solenoid can fail and presumably they'll all have different symptoms/noises.

Mine has been replaced for a week now and the noise hasn't occurred once since the swap after happening ~75% of the time before.

BTW Amazon has a new bosch for $158: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SR0448N-.../dp/B000BZIM54

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

Yup, that definitely sounds like a bad solenoid/starter.

I agree, I am fairly certain that it is the starter. FCP Groton has the Bosch for $128. GT172i, did your car sound like David's in the video?

Yes very similar in tone, timing, and duration.

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

Once again had the car up in the air, this time to replace the starter. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Went to sears and bought a 10 inch wobble extension, 6 inch wobble extension and a three inch wobble extension for my 3/8 inch rachet. Needed all of this plus another 6 inches. I also found it helpful to take out the cabin air filter housing so I could both locate the top bolt and make sure my 10 mm socket was seated correctly on the bolt head. Both bolts came out with not much effort. The two most difficult thing about this DIY were dislodging the starter from the bell housing and then getting the wires off and pulling the damn thing out. I actually had to use my extensions and a mallet to knock the old starter loose. New starter went in without much fanfare. Test started her and no more grind/clanking on start up. The old starter looked pretty beat up and when I kinda shook it it sounded like something was loose inside.

While I had the car up, I decided to change the brake fluid. Replaced and flushed the system with ATE Racing Blue via my MOTIVE Pressure Bleeder. Only took me about 20 minutes to do the bleed and replace.

Overall, I think the starter replace and brake fluid job took me about 5 hours, that includes getting the car up in the air and back down again. The starter job is not as bad as everyone on E46 Fan were making it out to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast