Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuff collected in a Catch Can

Ever since I integrated a "catch can" I have been draining moisture collected from the crankcase. In normal conditions, this moisture is recycled back into your oil. This is the amount I collect every 1,000 miles of driving. The clear stuff is water and the rest is sludgy oil mix.

Last edited by Au2bahn; 03-29-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

Ahem.....say what?

Need more background info here.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

To clarify Dane, Since I installed my ESS Twin Screw S/C, I no longer have a DISA and a CCV. The crankcase control valve catches the moisture and redirects this into the oil pan. By default, ESS TS is designed to recycle this back to the intake manifold for combustion in the chamber but I see it as a possible contamination and hinder performance. So I implemented a "catch can" to collect this moisture and oil. Its 90% water, 10% yellow sludge. Before I took the pic, it was to the rim. I spilled some of it moving it from one place to another.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Ahem.....say what?

Need more background info here.
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

Got it. Damn impressive.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Mmm it's what's for breakfast! Gonna have to agree with DW, impressive!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

This is very interesting... I have read about water being injected to supposedly eliminate detonation and effectively increasing octane rating of the fuel. Disgusting as it looks, may not be harmful at all??

.....ah you're talking about water/meth injection. This stuff is FAR from it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfr View Post
    This is very interesting... I have read about water being injected to supposedly eliminate detonation and effectively increasing octane rating of the fuel. Disgusting as it looks, may not be harmful at all??
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

My thinking was that -assuming there was a liter of water there which is probably overstating it- there would be about 1 gram of water per mile; let's say cruising around 60 with about 2000 rpm that would be 0.0005 gram of water per revolution or 500 ignition per cylinder per minute so 0.002 gram per ignition.
    To put it differently: if I'd burned 40 gallons of gas for the 1000 miles (i have a heavy foot), it would be roughly 1/150th of the amount of gas burned the same time/distance.
    I can see that not being enough to be harmful.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanical engineer AND don't know anything about superchargers... ... just sitting here passing time...

oil catch cans are a very necessary mod on forced induction engines. turbo and supercharged setups can cause a lot of "oil blow by," which an oil catch can will collect. nice idea, OP, your occ looks very well implemented

Saab's were notorious for sludge due to the similar design crank case ventilation with oil return. ewww.... SAAB tried redesigning the parts and it got better and better but still that goo still finds it's way down to the oil pan.

2005 BMW 330i ZHP
    2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP A DIY Turbocharger Project!

My site: www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=545&dateline=1337626488

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast