Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'll just leave this here.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Yay.

I've never had a problem with the stock system keeping me in place. Did you order it?
    That would squeeze every ounce of life out of you in the corners. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Got it off eBay. This seller states it is new and only bought a year ago - however he could not provide a date of manufacture (couldn't find it?). Regardless, I can still use it on the street + autocross even if it is out of date, just not in track events - although I'm thinking it still has a couple years left. I've rode in cars with harnesses many times so I'm used to it. While the stock system works fine for keeping you in place during Auto-X/etc. with the "seat-belt trick" it was wicked annoying moving the seat back and forth and then it would let lose on you waiting in line and if you had to adjust something you had to do it all over again. This is an easy "buckle, unbuckle." Plus, I'll admit I find them cool. Planning on installing it and just leaving it in there. Going to be my last 'mod' for a while! I still need to install a bunch of other stuff, fix stuff, etc. etc.

My Project Thread

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

You'll love it!! I have a set of Schroth Quick-Fit ASM harnesses for my car. I put them in for autocross and track days, take them out for daily driving. Way too expensive IMO, but I think they're good for 10 years maybe? I should have just purchased one for the driver side. Instructors at track days always opt out of using the harness. Their reasoning is... the factory installed the 3-points, those they trust. I guess I understand that.

I have some mass to myself so the harness really helps keep me planted in the seat. I find I don't have to adjust my position after hard corners like I do with the 3-point. I've also added an M3 dead pedal which is much more strong than the non-M version. All help at the "drive the wheels off" events.
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Harness for me was the single most effective mod I did to the car for auto-xing ... go figure...
    2004 ZHP * IMOLAROT II * OEM Clears * ///M Strut * CoolantSnitch

Quote Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
    You'll love it!! I have a set of Schroth Quick-Fit ASM harnesses for my car. I put them in for autocross and track days, take them out for daily driving. Way too expensive IMO, but I think they're good for 10 years maybe? I should have just purchased one for the driver side. Instructors at track days always opt out of using the harness. Their reasoning is... the factory installed the 3-points, those they trust. I guess I understand that.

I have some mass to myself so the harness really helps keep me planted in the seat. I find I don't have to adjust my position after hard corners like I do with the 3-point. I've also added an M3 dead pedal which is much more strong than the non-M version. All help at the "drive the wheels off" events.
    Glad to hear you enjoy them, I'm looking forward to getting it. Should have it Friday and installed on Saturday. Actually, I think they're only good for 5 years for use at a race track/HPDE - which is ridiculous. But, I think they're fine for the street & autocross for as long as they're not fraying/broken. I can understand the passenger not needing one but for the driver I think it's a necessity. I've never really noticed the factory dead pedal being weak, but I do have a piece of aluminum over it so that's probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    Harness for me was the single most effective mod I did to the car for auto-xing ... go figure...
    Hmm, maybe it will give me what I need to go as fast as you!

My Project Thread

Yep, the harness is essential for autocross!

Especially if you want to left-foot-brake, and especially with stock seats, there's no way to free your left foot for braking if you have to use it to hold yourself in place.

With proper race seats and a harness, it's amazing how much more connected to the car I feel. When the car moves, I move, period. My arms and legs are free to control the car, without having to work at keeping me in place.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Hmm, maybe it will give me what I need to go as fast as you!
    Nope, paying the timing guy will... that's been my secret for the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Especially if you want to left-foot-brake, and especially with stock seats, there's no way to free your left foot for braking if you have to use it to hold yourself in place.
    Abdominal muscles are a must for left-foot braking. I find that to more of a requisite than the harness, but I do agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    Abdominal muscles are a must for left-foot braking. I find that to more of a requisite than the harness, but I do agree with you.
    Do many people do left-foot braking? I feel like it would just be awkward?

Received the harness today! Date is July of 2008 so I definitely got a good deal. Couldn't resist and installed it this afternoon. I was hoping it would be a little more comfortable for just driving around but it's a bit of a pain. Oh well!

My Project Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast