Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Think Tank: CA "Legal" Headers

First of all, my sincerest apologies for reviving a dead horse for the sole purpose of beating it to death again.

There has been a lot of headers talk on the boards recently, and one common thing that the CA people bring up is how much it sucks that we can't really touch headers because of our emissions legislation.

I want to have this thread as a way to pool the thoughts of everyone here to solve this issue so that us CA can finally get rid of the crappy headers the car came with.

So here is what many of us in CA are after: we want to install catless headers on my ZHP.

The guidelines:

1. Without triggering a CEL on our car.
    2. Without needing to tune our car to remove the CEL or post-cat monitoring. (most of us would like to Eurocharge, but they don't do this)
    3. The car much still pass emissions inspections with one exception: the car can still fail a visual. This is not that big of an issue because I've never seen anyone visually inspect my car during smog.
    4. The car must still pass a sniffer test. Even though these are technically being phased out in CA, many smog shops, like mine, still use them. Thus, we will have to use after market cats.
    5. Use of wideband controllers or O2 sims is highly discouraged, but still an option. The reason I'd rather not use this is because O2 sims are usually reported not to work, and an LS-1 controller is pretty pricey, and only masks the problem (and would still fail a sniffer because we need cats regardless)

I really hope anyone that has any info can chime in here and see if we can figure this out. If you have any friends that might know, any guys you know in smog, crazy ex-girlfriend who was surprisingly good with cars, old grandfather who was a tank mechanic in WWII... anybody.

Here is my idea, and I want to so what you guys think:

What if, after installing headers, I added two 400 cell racing cats right when the headers ended? And I mean RIGHT after. Weld on the flanges that usually come up to the headers right onto the cats, and route the post-cat O2 sensors right after. This is only about 8 inches past their OEM location. You could also use defoulers to possibly get cleaner air coming up to the sensors to avoid a CEL, and 400 cell should technically pass emissions.

Only flaw I see here is that there are still reports of CELs because of the farther location of the O2 sensors.

Any input?
    In the market for an E90 M3

Visual inspection will kill anything.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Great thread Dario. I'm wondering what can be done as well. Maybe post in the California section of e46fanatics too. And Justin, IIRC, I believe they are eliminating the visual portion of the test. You only have to smog every two years, I even wonder about swapping everything thing out just for that.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I've considered doing what JR said... pass next smog check, install catless headers and then live with CEL for 2 years until the next smog check. Each of my smog checks did include a visual inspection but it usually wasn't very thorough and I'm pretty sure I could find a place that would ignore headers as long as they still had cats somewhere and passed the sniffer.

The Danish vendor Schmeidman advertising in Roundel always offers headers with cats for the M54. Cats are right after headers and they say you re-route existing O2 sensors over the transmission to connect post-cats. This solution hasn't gained a lot of popularity in the US, I think for 3 reasons.
    1) Have to import from Denmark, paying international shipping
    2) Not clear if it fits E46 with 6-speed transmission
    3) Somebody claimed they bought this and still got CEL because of new location of cats

Didn't somebody try the Magnaflow high-performance manifolds (or headers?) that have cats and are 49-state legal?

No visual inspection means do what ever the hell you want over here. Just make sure you can keep the light off and you are good.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Visual inspection will kill anything.

Sent from my GS3.
    I believe I addressed that in OP. My smog place doesn't do it, so it's a bit of a gamble, but, they are getting rid of it slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Great thread Dario. I'm wondering what can be done as well. Maybe post in the California section of e46fanatics too. And Justin, IIRC, I believe they are eliminating the visual portion of the test. You only have to smog every two years, I even wonder about swapping everything thing out just for that.
    E46F? Let me borrow your flamesuit, mine won't cut it. "Go search, beaten to death, blah blah blah," but no useful information.

I'd rather not switch every two years. Yeah, 2 years is plenty of time, but from what I hear, the job is a PITA, and I'd rather not have the CEL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I've considered doing what JR said... pass next smog check, install catless headers and then live with CEL for 2 years until the next smog check. Each of my smog checks did include a visual inspection but it usually wasn't very thorough and I'm pretty sure I could find a place that would ignore headers as long as they still had cats somewhere and passed the sniffer.

The Danish vendor Schmeidman advertising in Roundel always offers headers with cats for the M54. Cats are right after headers and they say you re-route existing O2 sensors over the transmission to connect post-cats. This solution hasn't gained a lot of popularity in the US, I think for 3 reasons.
    1) Have to import from Denmark, paying international shipping
    2) Not clear if it fits E46 with 6-speed transmission
    3) Somebody claimed they bought this and still got CEL because of new location of cats

Didn't somebody try the Magnaflow high-performance manifolds (or headers?) that have cats and are 49-state legal?
    I'm not sure 200 cell is enough to pass, and that's what Schmeidmann uses. Also, it's still a fairly expensive option. My idea is that we could capitilize on ebay/bimmerbake headers given their low cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    No visual inspection means do what ever the hell you want over here. Just make sure you can keep the light off and you are good.

Sent from my GS3.
    Show off.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    The new inspection process that they keep delaying is visual + OBDII. It's the sniffer test that is going away.

I think the only viable option is swapping it out every two years.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    The new inspection process that they keep delaying is visual + OBDII. It's the sniffer test that is going away.

Shoot, I remember now. That is correct. However, many are still lenient on the visual inspection part, so it's still an option; it's just up to you to find a smog shop that will do that.

If, for instance, we do the "swap every two years" deal, I'm assuming all we need is to remove the CEL with a controller? I'd rather come up with a permanent solution, however.

Think Tank: CA "Legal" Headers

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    I thought about doing this with the 320i when I was given the long tube headers by my buddy as that car still falls under smog laws. I decided against it since it's a PITA despite the fact that engine is way easier to work on and no CEL to deal with.

E21 is second from top, the rest are 2002

To me it isn't all that difficult to do, just a matter of money. Find someone with considerable fabrication skills and have them weld in the cats to the headers.

I also don't see why a set of good quality cats directly after the header flanges wouldn't work. Have a shop add the bungs for post cat 02 sensors and extend the OEM sensors to fit. It really isn't that hard and most exhaust shops are not THAT expensive to have them do work like that.

Or you could move to a free state where you aren't fined for flatulence......(sorry, I had to say it)

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast