Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible BMW Performance Intake filter replacement by AFE

I posted this on e46fanatics and wanted to share this here also:

During one of my deep late night searches on the web, I think I may have found a "high performance" drop in filter that would work with the BMW Performance intake.

The current Napa/Mann/Fram replacement filters that people are using are originally manufactured for the 1994-1998 Pontiac Grand-Am. I did a bit of digging and found that the 2004 Pontiac Grand-Am filter (larger displacement engine) is a different part number, but has the EXACT SAME DIMENSIONS as the 1994 one. So I looked under the 2004 model and viola! AFE makes a replacement.

AFE Part number: 30-10081 (Pro 5 R) 31-10081 (Pro Dry S)
    http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...4L&&brandID=59

Comes in either an oiled "Pro 5 R" or a non-oiled "Pro Dry S".

Conclusion:
    No oil (if you go with the dry one), pleats seem to be in the right direction, rubber looks flimsy enough to bend around the bracket, and it's still cheaper than the BMW filter.
    Not to mention you're getting a lot more flow than the paper filters and it'll sound much better.

Now someone needs to be the guinea pig
    Last edited by Secono330ci; 02-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    Euro Techniks

Someone donate a BMW Perf Intake to me and I will be the guinea pig...
    Matt/Matthew/Belvin
    2003 ZHP Sedan, 6sp, Jet Black/Sand with Black Cube
    *Amber Army*

Quote Originally Posted by PirateZHP View Post
    Someone donate a BMW Perf Intake to me and I will be the guinea pig...
    :ROFL

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

Possible BMW Performance Intake filter replacement by AFE

So they are a "synthetic" material with 50% better flow than the paper filter if I am reading this correctly. That would also mean they do less actual filtering right? I guess it's a trade off. Would love to see dyno sheets comparing paper to this
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Secono330ci View Post
    I posted this on e46fanatics and wanted to share this here also:

During one of my deep late night searches on the web, I think I may have found a "high performance" drop in filter that would work with the BMW Performance intake.

The current Napa/Mann/Fram replacement filters that people are using are originally manufactured for the 1994-1998 Pontiac Grand-Am. I did a bit of digging and found that the 2004 Pontiac Grand-Am filter (larger displacement engine) is a different part number, but has the EXACT SAME DIMENSIONS as the 1994 one. So I looked under the 2004 model and viola! AFE makes a replacement.

AFE Part number: 30-10081 (Pro 5 R) 31-10081 (Pro Dry S)
    http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...4L&&brandID=59

Comes in either an oiled "Pro 5 R" or a non-oiled "Pro Dry S".

Conclusion:
    No oil (if you go with the dry one), pleats seem to be in the right direction, rubber looks flimsy enough to bend around the bracket, and it's still cheaper than the BMW filter.
    Not to mention you're getting a lot more flow than the paper filters and it'll sound much better.

Now someone needs to be the guinea pig
    Good research. We should update the CAI thread.

Link doesn't work for me.

If URL's are too long they get screwed up somewhere.

Short URL: http://tinyurl.com/lbxvufw

No one wants a $60 paperweight but maybe we can get 6 people chip in $10 ?? PayPal all the money to one of the admins who then chooses who gets to be the tester?
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    So they are a "synthetic" material with 50% better flow than the paper filter if I am reading this correctly. That would also mean they do less actual filtering right? I guess it's a trade off. Would love to see dyno sheets comparing paper to this
    Well I would say the paper is over-restrictive. It's cheap to produce, so that's why BMW uses it. Keep in mind that on the CSL, BMW used a higher flow filter similar to these.

For this intake, the non-oiled would be the better choice since it won't contaminate the MAF. It still has a filtration percentage of 99.2%. AFE filters are among the best IMO. My first choice would be AEM since they specialize in Dry-Flow technology, and produce one hell of a filter, but they do not make the size.

I'm not saying the BMW filter isn't good, but this will clearly out flow it and sound better.
    Euro Techniks

All that's likely true if it fits.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

That looks like my drop in filter...doesn't look like it will bend the same as the perf intake.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

At the price, I will stick with my $8 filters. That one would get me 7 shipped to my door.
    Plus, re-washable filters have never sat well with me. No matter how you clean it, it's very unlikely that one would be able to remove 100% of the impurities, which would mean as time goes on, performance goes down as air restriction goes up, however slow it may be.

Also, those pleats look similar to those of K&N's. In which case, there is wire mesh in between the fabric so it would not be able to curve to fit into the intake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast