Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I might try these too

Goin' HAM mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Jupe, did you ever go to the bridge of a ship and ask, "Where's the brake pedal? Where's the clutch? Maybe the bridges of modern ships look more like Star Trek. It still boggles my mind that in old sailing ships, you steer from the back of the ship, because that's where the rudder is... and maybe it gives the captain more protection in case you're ramming an enemy ship.

I'm not sure if these bushings offer any benefit for street driving, unless you frequently drive canyon and mountain twisties. If you forget to grease them, eventually you get a sticky caliper, which wears out brake pads faster.

You're probably right in that it the car won't stop in a shorter distance, but brake feel should be much improved. It is possible that initial bite could be improved because of lack of caliper flex though. I agree that there may be added maintenance, but it may be worth the trade off.

At worst the added maintenance hassle out weighs the brake feel and switch back to rubber.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

They keep the pads more parallel to the rotor, so if that improves stopping then might improve initial bite and shorten stopping distances on the street--not sure.

Ok, sorry for the delay guys. I got the whole thing done last week and just wanted to get a feel for how it is now.

First off, two Mondays ago I tore both front brakes down to parade rest, cleaned everything up, mounted up my nice new rotors, and got the new brass caliper bushings installed. I then opened up my box of Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and something wasn't right. I sent pictures and numbers back to Bimmerworld and low and behold I got rear 330i pads in a box for fronts, yep my luck. By the time we had this resolved I did get the pads until Friday, so lots of lost time.

The caliper bushing kit is nice and high quality. I have no complaints other than I am concerned for weather exposure. So I will keep a close eye on how they hold up. I coated them in anti-seize and may spray them with an anti-corrosion coating I use on other under body stuff (thanks Charlie).

So, new front pads & rotors, caliper bushings, and system bled, and brakes bedded in. My observations:
    - Bushings "I" feel are noticeable for a sharper pedal, monumental, no, but better. I am happy.
    - Hawk PC pads, the jury is still out here we'll see how time tells. Definite loss of initial bite, particularly when cold. Deceleration is good once warm and no dust, but initial bite is disappointing.

I have had other ceramic pads before (not on a BMW), and these are not as good. I wanted to get ST Street Performance pads, but couldn't get them through BW, and thought I would give these a shot. Hey, you live and learn. I did want less dust than stock pads, and probably just should have got PBR MM/Ultimate. They are a good all-around pad.

I also got the Turner bleed bottle with the check valve, and it worked fine. I did bleed the brake the traditional way though with two people.

Bottom line:
    Turner Brass Brake Caliper bushing kit - RECOMMENDED
    HAWK CP front Pads - Meh, would buy something else next time.
    Turner Brake Bleed Bottle with the check valve - RECOMMENDED

Steve
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Geezus, I should've updated this thread as well... About a week and a half ago, I completed my full brake upgrade, but honestly, I cannot attest to the performance of the bushings alone. I will echo Steve in that they are very high quality and look great, but I had a hard time saying they did anything. I replaced everything, as well as upgrading to stainless lines, so my pedal feel was completely different. I need to bleed again, but my pedal is much better... Of course, its hard to pinpoint the improvement to one item... I did pads, rotors, front calipers, and bushing upgrade...

I can say this... I had the Hawk pads on my last ZHP and wasn't really thrilled either. This time I went with the Stoptech Street Performance pads and I am very happy with them. Initial bite is excellent and dust is pretty low so far. I'm really impressed with them.

So, I think if you're doing a full rebuild, the bushings are a low cost item that should prove to be a nice upgrade, and like Steve said, easy enough to swap back into the rubber if caliper sticking ensues...
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Man Joop, when you do brakes, YOU DO BRAKES!

I already ss brake lines on, so yea the bushings are a subtle improvement, but an improvement none the less. Not bad for $50.

Unfortunately I am now stuck with a set of these Hawk PC pads for the rear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Like others have echo'ed in the past, you gotta make sure you have grease on these or else any dust/dirt will seize a caliper.

As far as pads you chose, basically that is what you're going to get with that type of pad. Go HP+, enjoy the squeal, dust, and a nice bite

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12