Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

We have a problem!

So I just had my front end stuff done, tie rods, bushings, all that. My problem still exists.

It does this on and off every few minutes while driving. It gets bad for a minute, then goes away a little, then comes back, then goes away. It will be ok for a few minutes, then it starts to bump bump bump bump. Bump in the steering wheel, car, everything. Bumping. When this bumping gets bad, and I hit the brakes, the car feels like it's floating and can pull to one side or the other. This is scary. It also tends to "hold back". It's like something is stuck and not allowing the car to roll freely. You can feel something "holding the car back". Almost like if the e-brake was on just slightly and you get the feel of something holding the free motion of the car back.

I'm freaking out.

I just dropped some good cash and turns out it's not the main problem. Could this be failed rear bushings? Anything specific? The car is parked once again.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Did you have front control arm bushings done, and/or control arms replaced? Could it be sticky brake caliper? When is last time you bled the brakes?
    Failed shocks could cause floaty feeling, but not normally bumppity-bump.

Failed FCABs can cause weird feelings or clunks on braking
    Failed RTABs can cause rear end to behave weird under hard cornering, acceleration, or braking (because rear toe-in is changing)
    Failed shocks can cause oscillations or floaty feeling

Control arms and bushings were also done. It's scary because it's a lot of things all at once. It will feel ok for a seconds, then it starts bumping and I feel that "e-brake" feeling, and it floats around. I'm pretty sure the floating if coming from the rear end but I could be wrong. I know the rear has issues because when you put on the e-brake on a hill, the car will settle to one side along with the classic clunk when shifting. But, all this craziness I am talking about started last week.
    Last edited by mLuMaN83; 09-26-2014 at 03:12 PM.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

When the subs hit dat ass go bump bump bump bump.

Verbiage on point, dawg!

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    When the subs hit dat ass go bump bump bump bump.

Verbiage on point, dawg!

Sent from my GS3.
    Lmao

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Feel all the wheels and see if one is hotter than the others (after you drive a couple of minutes).
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Was gonna say sticky caliper too. Definitely something to look into.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

I'll test the heat situation tomorrow. I went out earlier to see if the rotors looked different than each other and figured this could tell me something. The fronts definitely look different than each other so I think that might be it.

Quote Originally Posted by mLuMaN83 View Post
    I'll test the heat situation tomorrow. I went out earlier to see if the rotors looked different than each other and figured this could tell me something. The fronts definitely look different than each other so I think that might be it.
    It sounds like a caliper issue. Might be best to replace in pairs. If it were me, that's what I'd do.

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast