Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    The Competition Package was basically the North American version of the CSL which is basically the ultimate E46 track/race inspired ///M. The buyer's of the M3 CSL paid BMW more money for less (no radio, no A/C, no cruise, etc) in the vein of it being lighter and built for one purpose: performance. No roadtrips...
    Thanks man. That sounds like E36 M3 Lightweight guise. I thought that they had AC and radio in E46 M Comp. P, just no cruise.

-Brettski

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    Thanks man. That sounds like E36 M3 Lightweight guise. I thought that they had AC and radio in E46 M Comp. P, just no cruise.
    Yeah, the M Comp was "as close as US DOT* would allow" The CSL model in Europe was stripped.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Yeah, the M Comp was "as close as US DOT* would allow" The CSL model in Europe was stripped.
    You got my curiosity going bud and in digging a bit further I cannot find anything that says that air conditioning and radio were not included with the Competition Pkg in the USA. Not like it's a crisis, just have not seen them "missing" from most Comp. pkg E46 M3s out there. All of the ZCP cars over at EAG have either regular stereos or navigation. Perhaps both were no cost options that most owners opted for in the USA. Maybe one of our resident M historians can weigh in on this one. I do know that you are correct with the E36 M3 LTW - no radio, air, etc. Again, just trying to clarify for anyone questioning the options and equipment.

Here's what I have found from BMW M Registry.com:
    What is the E46 M3 Competition Package?
    The Competition Package, known by the internal designation "ZCP", was introduced in December of 2004 as an option for the E46 M3 coupe. It consisted of the following equipment (most of which is derived from that of the limited-production M3 CSL):
    -Cross-drilled brake rotors (enlarged to 13.7 inches in front) with two-piece compound rotors (aluminum hat and outer portion connected by steel pins)
    -Steering ratio reduced to 14.5:1
    -M Track Mode setting for Dynamic Stability Control (raises—but does not eliminate—the threshold at which the DSC intervenes)
    -19-inch cross-spoke alloy wheels (8x19-inch front, 9.5x19-inch rear)
    -Alcantara-wrapped M three-spoke steering wheel with M Track Mode activation button (audio and cruise control buttons deleted)
    -Specific aluminum interior trim with milled effect
    -Exclusive Interlagos Blue metallic (A30) paint option

-Brettski

You got my curiosity going bud and in digging a bit further I cannot find anything that says that air conditioning and radio were not included with the Competition Pkg in the USA. Not like it's a crisis, just have not seen them "missing" from most Comp. pkg E46 M3s out there. EAG even has one for sale right now with navigation. Perhaps both were no cost options that most owners opted for in the USA. Maybe one of our resident M historians can weigh in on this one. I do know that you are correct with the E36 M3 LTW - no radio, air, etc. Again, just trying to clarify for anyone questioning the options and equipment.

Here's what I have found from BMW M Registry.com:
    What is the E46 M3 Competition Package?
    The Competition Package, known by the internal designation "ZCP", was introduced in December of 2004 as an option for the E46 M3 coupe. It consisted of the following equipment (most of which is derived from that of the limited-production M3 CSL):
    -Cross-drilled brake rotors (enlarged to 13.7 inches in front) with two-piece compound rotors (aluminum hat and outer portion connected by steel pins)
    -Steering ratio reduced to 14.5:1
    -M Track Mode setting for Dynamic Stability Control (raises—but does not eliminate—the threshold at which the DSC intervenes)
    -19-inch cross-spoke alloy wheels (8x19-inch front, 9.5x19-inch rear)
    -Alcantara-wrapped M three-spoke steering wheel with M Track Mode activation button (audio and cruise control buttons deleted)
    -Specific aluminum interior trim with milled effect
    -Exclusive Interlagos Blue metallic (A30) paint option
    Brett, I apologize for the confusion. I meant to say that the M Comp has all those things because it was basically a significantly watered down version of the stripped M3 CSL Edition sold in limited quantities in Europe:

"The BMW M3 CSL (Coupe Sport Leichtbau)[25] was a limited edition version of the M3, with only 1,400 cars being produced for its 2004 model year run.[26] The CSL was never released into the North American market,[27] and was only available in two colours – Silver Grey Metallic and Black Sapphire Metallic.[28]
    As its name suggests, an emphasis was put on reducing weight. The M3 CSL has a curb weight of 1,385 kg (3,053 lb), 110 kg (240 lb) lighter than the regular M3.[29][30][31] The CSL features many weight saving technologies taken from BMW's Formula One racing applications.[32] A large proportion of the M3's sound insulation has been removed, along with electric seats and navigation systems.[27] Air conditioning and stereo systems could be retrofitted free of cost, but were not available standard."

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:

Brett, I apologize for the confusion. I meant to say that the M Comp has all those things because it was basically a significantly watered down version of the stripped M3 CSL Edition sold in limited quantities in Europe:

"The BMW M3 CSL (Coupe Sport Leichtbau)[25] was a limited edition version of the M3, with only 1,400 cars being produced for its 2004 model year run.[26] The CSL was never released into the North American market,[27] and was only available in two colours – Silver Grey Metallic and Black Sapphire Metallic.[28]
    As its name suggests, an emphasis was put on reducing weight. The M3 CSL has a curb weight of 1,385 kg (3,053 lb), 110 kg (240 lb) lighter than the regular M3.[29][30][31] The CSL features many weight saving technologies taken from BMW's Formula One racing applications.[32] A large proportion of the M3's sound insulation has been removed, along with electric seats and navigation systems.[27] Air conditioning and stereo systems could be retrofitted free of cost, but were not available standard."

Ah ok! It all makes sense now. The Roundels and M stripes are once again aligned, lol. I know I'm getting senile but thought I was losing it completely.

-Brettski

Ah ok! It all makes sense now. The Roundels and M stripes are once again aligned, lol. I know I'm getting senile but thought I was losing it completely.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    Sold:

Yes, the Competition package ///M is the best you can get in this country unfortunately. There are many things that can be changed out on the ///M to make it better than the CSL but it will cost you more money to do so. People on the most part aren't crazy enough to make this happen so they will either get the "standard" ///M or "ZCP" ///M and be happy with that.

Then there are others who will "build" their own CSL such as M3Dragon "Adam" who have done just that. Adam has a very impressive M3 build and have replicated a lot of what went into the CSL under the hood. Impressive work I must say. I myself, am striving to do much more by adding boost eventually to my ///M. There are other components I plan to add but then that will cost a lot of money....yes, I admit I'm not a regular BMW owner but I'm sure most of you here already know that...

This ///M that the thread is all about however, is a very special ///M in it's own right. This is why I posted this thread hopefully so that someone here would have been given a chance to snag this beautiful car! I have a feeling that no one here got that chance unfortunately and that some very lucky guy (I think in California) will be getting this rare beast....

Thank you Charlie. Appreciate the clarification and M support! Didn't mean to threadjack here with my original question!

-Brettski

Can always BUILD one better than the original

GoingHAM mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    Can always BUILD one better than the original

GoingHAM mobile
    This is the end game for THIS guy.... After Her is restored to proper order.
    A Silbergrau M3 with Cruise and faster than a ZCP= Nirvana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sold- But not forgotten
    04 Silbergrau/6MT/Silver Cube
    Silbergrau Uberlegen Ist!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast