Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ah-HAH! I found the torsional rigidity stats I was looking for:

BMW E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18,000 Nm/deg
    BMW E46 Sedan (w/folding seats) 13,000 Nm/deg
    BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500 Nm/deg
    (couldn't find coupe w/o folding seats, though . . . )

So, all else equal, a 300i is a bit more structurally rigid than a 330Ci. ZHP sedan FTW!

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

I have heard that sedans make better track cars due to the more upright B pillar. It gives it better structural rigidity.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

So, all else equal, a 300i is a bit more structurally rigid than a 330Ci. ZHP sedan FTW!
    Wow, I would have expected the sedan to be less rigid due to having more "holes" in the chassis for extra doors...

Sent from my DROIDX
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I want the coupe/sedan center of gravity data.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Most cage builders find sedans to have a stronger unibody due to the b pillar as mentioned. But they also carry a bit of added weight, not sure how much.

The issue for me is the lack of affordable LSD. It really has me torn whether to invest in it and suspension for the ZHP or switch over to an "m".

Ian

Sedan surprisingly only weighs about 20lbs more than the coupe.

Ian, I used to bend and notch tubes in the past..Circa 2002-2003 I was in a partnership called Motion Engineering and did a handful of cages among other things. I can say that I personally prefer the sedan due to being able to simply open the rear doors and work inside..

Ian, I understand your concern with the whole LSD thing. It is vital IMO. Were you at the mafia rendezvous at the Spectrum? I ask because I do not recall us meeting yet I see my car in the photos you took. lol.

-Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

To elaborate on this, e46 coupes all have folding rear seats, thus one without them is non-existent.

If you look at all the big, German manufacturers Touring class of race vehicle, they are all sedans. I definitely think the sedan is a much better looking vehicle when in full-race dress.

So an e46 M3 CSL sedan, sunroof delete and non-folding rear seats, would have been the best track car in the time period...Pool our funds and build one from scratch? Take turns for 3 months at a time? My only request is that it get's painted Inka...fap fap fap
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ian, I used to bend and notch tubes in the past..Circa 2002-2003 I was in a partnership called Motion Engineering and did a handful of cages among other things. I can say that I personally prefer the sedan due to being able to simply open the rear doors and work inside..

Ian, I understand your concern with the whole LSD thing. It is vital IMO. Were you at the mafia rendezvous at the Spectrum? I ask because I do not recall us meeting yet I see my car in the photos you took. lol.

-Terry
    Ian was there early but had to leave before we saw you.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    I have heard that sedans make better track cars due to the more upright B pillar. It gives it better structural rigidity.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.
    Bingo. This is 100% True.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast