Page 67 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 981

Thread: William's 330Ci ZHP Maintenance and Project Thread

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I didn't do it yet, but a friend of mine said he added about half a quart after he was done...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfect, all I needed to know

    Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Absolutely not required to drain the engine oil. Just have some spare rags lined up right below where the VANOS sits so that the little bit of oil that spills does not go on the belts. Just top up a bit of oil after the job. In my case, I didn't even do that and I was still fine.

    What I meant in my previous post was, when I took the VANOS apart, the little bit of oil inside was very dirty...especially since I had just had a oil change the week before. I am curious if you see the same.
    Gotcha on the VANOS part. I'll let you know. The oil's relatively new, just over 1,500 miles on it although it is over a year old.

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    14,426

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I updated my original TSE3 install post with my current impressions (link). I'd be interested to hear what other TSE3 owners have to say in comparison to my thoughts:
    Has your opinion settled a bit?

    Start ups aren't exactly stealth with the stock exhaust either. I haven't noticed any cars with a louder start-up.

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    What did you buy the one year oil?! ;-)
    Good luck on vanos. Not a bad job to diy.
    I gave my oil a top off and what's better than a friend for a gift?

    Hopefully VANOS will be easy. I'm holding off though until all parts arrive and this ridiculous heat wave subsides (107F Wednesday and Thursday, apparently. And they say global warming doesn't exist )

    Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Has your opinion settled a bit?

    Start ups aren't exactly stealth with the stock exhaust either. I haven't noticed any cars with a louder start-up.
    My opinion is about the same currently as what I said in that post. Regardless, I plan to keep it on for a while.

    And the stock exhaust on a cold start isn't quiet, but this is appreciably louder.

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Picton, ON
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I'm holding off though until all parts arrive and this ridiculous heat wave subsides (107F Wednesday and Thursday, apparently. And they say global warming doesn't exist )
    dang, that's hot for oregon...
    peter

    2018 Subaru BRZ RS 6MT

    2015 VW Golf TSI Comfortline 5MT

  6. #666
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    6,148
    I read you review of the TSE3. That's exactly the way I felt about it.. Not wanting to attract attention/ loud kid car but the more time I spent in the seat, the more I liked it. I just sounds really good.
    There is no way to get around the loud startups though... Part of the noise canceling technology it uses. It has to build up some back pressure. It will be a bit louder on startups in the winter...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    dang, that's hot for oregon...
    Yeah...I'm not looking forward to it. I checked weather around the world after I saw it...lemme just say I'm glad I'm not visiting Baghdad currently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I read you review of the TSE3. That's exactly the way I felt about it.. Not wanting to attract attention/ loud kid car but the more time I spent in the seat, the more I liked it. I just sounds really good.
    There is no way to get around the loud startups though... Part of the noise canceling technology it uses. It has to build up some back pressure. It will be a bit louder on startups in the winter...
    The loud start ups don't really bother me. I just wish it were a few decibels quieter below 3,000 RPM under heavy throttle. Otherwise, I think I'd have few complaints. Maybe it crackles too much on that off-throttle, low RPM situation that often occurs through slower city driving.

  8. #668
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,754
    Mileage: 56,500 miles

    1. Had the brake fluid flushed at Autobahn Motorwerks with ATE SL.6 brake fluid.
    2. Had the mechanic give a second check of my exhaust install and looked for exhaust leaks - OK
    3. Had the mechanic inspect possible oil leak from VCG. Confirmed weeping.

    Question: The mechanic suggested replacing also the valve cover itself as well because it is plastic and warps with age (part no. 11127512839). Has anyone experienced this?

  9. #669
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Posts
    681
    From personal experience, I don't think it wraps with age, but it is made of plastic so it does get brittle over the years.

    Just be careful when you take the valve cover off cause it will be stuck on there good. Once it's off, inspect the cover closely for any cracks or damage and if everything looks good, no need to replace it.

    I've replaced many VCG so far and never had a problem, even on a X5 3.0 with 160k miles the valve cover was still good. Your car is very low mileage too so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Last edited by Sreten; 08-01-2017 at 11:05 AM.

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    From personal experience, I don't think it wraps with age, but it is made of plastic so it does get brittle over the years.

    Just be careful when you take the valve cover off cause it will be stuck on there good. Once it's off, inspect the cover closely for any cracks or damage and if everything looks good, no need to replace it.

    I've replaced many VCG so far and never had a problem, even on a X5 3.0 with 160k miles the valve cover was still good. You car is very low mileage too so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Gracias, hombre.

    I figured I'd chance it and just do the VCG and VANOS stuff, and if it starts leaking again, consider the valve cover.

Page 67 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 994
    Last Post: 02-17-2020, 07:26 AM
  2. Replies: 594
    Last Post: 11-09-2017, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 769
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM
  4. FinanceGuy's Maintenance/Project thread -- 08 E70
    By TheFinanceGuy in forum Projects
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 06:48 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •