Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I think I'm going to do the FX-R retrofit...Lightwerkz is right around the corner anyway

Nice you'll have to do a comparison shot of the shitty ZKW lights and the new FX-Rs.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Nice you'll have to do a comparison shot of the shitty ZKW lights and the new FX-Rs.
    I intend to do so.

$700 including parts?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    $700 including parts?

Ian
    Somewhere around $700's, and I believe that includes the cost of shipping it to them with your housing, including parts.

I just checked; their website based on a quick search doesn't say just how much it is. This is what's stated:

HID Projector retrofitting requires you to provide a set of headlights for us to complete the final product. Pricing includes set of headlights to be converted, not including any additional product, shipping, or surcharge fees. All conversions come featured with a full craftsmanship and condensation warranty. Please read our Policy section for more details.

HID Projector retrofitting allows us to convert your current headlights with the best available technology. This highly specialized service we offer involves installing HID projectors into reflector-based headlights, or if the car already comes with projectors, we can replace them with ones of better quality and performance. This allows the customer to obtain the absolute best performance available on the market without any compromises. These conversions are hand built by our team on a per order basis so you can count on the attention to detail and high levels of quality.
    Base labor costs on a single projector retrofit conversion range between $320-$840. Costs will vary depending on application type, sealant type, and parts used in the conversion. Please contact us directly for a quote on labor.

All conversions include the following to ensure a worry-free lifetime product:
    Extra butyl sealer to prevent condensation.
    Permanently mounted projector shrouds with epoxy, projectors affixed with screws, nuts, and epoxy once aligned.
    Projector tweaking to enhance performance: sharpness, color, straightness, and intensity.
    Fully plug and play operation on the customer's end; we set it up to make sure no runs to the local store are needed for parts, and no modifications such as splicing and/or cutting is needed on OEM equipment.
    Fully weather sealed headlights, to prevent debris and/or water from getting inside.
    Loomed wiring when possible to maintain a factory look.

Important information
    *Quotes are valid for 10 days.
    *Pricing is subject to change without notice.
    *Unless stated, pricing is estimated and may be adjusted once the conversion is completed.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Guys, I would read through this thread before any of you commit to FX-R's

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-s-from-FX-R-s

A lot of good info in there. FX-R's aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be evidently

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
    Guys, I would read through this thread before any of you commit to FX-R's

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-s-from-FX-R-s

A lot of good info in there. FX-R's aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be evidently
    I only skimmed the first page of posts, but FX-R's would be night and day difference between burned ZKW bowls.
    Not to discredit the OE ZKW headlamps, as they are really nice, in a perfect unburned bowl situation. Bosch/AL are great as well, and don't suffer the same problem as the ZKW's.
    Bottom line is, either way you go--whether you retrofit FX-R's, swap to bosch headlamps, or simply buy some unburned ZKW bowls--you'll end up with better light output than with burned ZKW bowls. Two of those options being a permanent (yet costly) fix to the issue at hand.

EDIT: I read the thread.
    The OP of that thread is running Bosch headlamps with ZKW lenses. There is no burning bowl issue! So, of course his setup going to be superior to FX-R projectors.

No doubt pretty much anything is better than burned ZKW's. Some people people like the FX-R's, but it seemed like the general consensus was pretty much OEM or bust. The FX-R's showed awesome light output, cutoff, and width but they lacked in ability to throw the light down the road and have a "cascading mountain" of darkness in the foreground area. The other thing in that thread was quality and longevity. They have only been around for a few years so its not really known how long they'll last for. I think they're overhyped IMO.

That being said, OEM (any brand) will be better than any aftermarket chinese product. The best solution for those with crappped out ZKW's would be to:
    1. source used, unburnt ZKW bowls (not really a solution since theyre destined to burn again, but yet an option nonetheless)
    2. source used BOSCH/AL projectors (swap in OEM ZKW clear lenses or replica ZKW-R lenses for a sharper cut off)
    3. attempt a retrofit with OEM TSX, FX, etc.... projectors
    4. retrofit with replica projectors i.e. FX-R's
    5. Lightwerkz

It's really up to you. If you are happy with the performance of the FX-R's, then go for it. I'm not saying they're bad (which they're obviously not, I think theyre awesome for the cost/ease of retrofit) but they're not the end-all-be-all of projectors. OEM is king.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

EDIT: I just reread my post....Im not trying to put down the FX-R's, but just summarize what I've read and seen so far while researching this issue.
    Last edited by adb1028; 03-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

I'm looking for something better than H7s I've been on the look out for OEM E46 projectors but I need a wide band of light to avoid the wildlife asive already had several close encounters with some elk. I do like the ZKW lens idea. I wonder wha the width of the Bosch bi-xenons with ZKW lenses is.

DROIDstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    I'm looking for something better than H7s I've been on the look out for OEM E46 projectors but I need a wide band of light to avoid the wildlife asive already had several close encounters with some elk. I do like the ZKW lens idea. I wonder wha the width of the Bosch bi-xenons with ZKW lenses is.
    The OP of the thread that adb posted was running exactly that.. There's a few pictures in there

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast