Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Yura's Tacoma

I'm excited to see it as well!

Took off a bunch of the stuff I've got temporarily stored on top just to take photos for you guys

This is the front section:

The large rectangular hole is meant for storage. I may eventually use it to secure a second car battery and other electronics. The top/bed platform will swing up (towards the front of the bed) to allow access to this section. The two smaller (square~ish) sections on the sides have u-bolts mounted for use as a tie-down spot (the truck has tie-down spots in the same area).

The two "side" walls of the main section are joined via a half-lap joint with the panel running across the bed. I made one of the two joints a tad wider (1-2mm) than I should have, so I decided to add some pocket holes/screws to secure things better. Each joint has a total of 6 pocket screws (only three are visible in the photo - the other three in that joint are on the bottom part of the perpendicular piece).

The board at the very front was an afterthought addition to allow the top platform piece to swing open from that side, allowing for easier access.

I've started mounting some corner brackets that will give extra support for the top platform pieces.

Another angle:

One of the four u-bolts:

Once I find the appropriate-sized hardware to go between the bolt and the truck's tie-down (Home Depot is out of the large eye-eye turnbuckles that I want), I will push the u-bolt as far in as it'll go, locktite the nuts, and cut off the excess thread with a hacksaw (to prevent it from hitting the tailgate). I'm considering recessing the nuts & backing plate, but think keeping more plywood thickness may be a better idea. Another idea is to double-up the plywood to which the u-bolt is attached, and recess the hardware from the outside.

This is the full view, complete with excess/unused materials and tools:

The first two panels that will go on top are on my balcony. I have used Thompson Watersealant on one side of each panel and am waiting for that to cure (24hrs) before doing the other sides. I'll then cover these two in outdoor carpet (same stuff that I used for my dog platform) and mount them. Carpet's thickness throws off all dimensions, so I plan to make, wrap & mount one section at a time.

Have I mentioned that I don't have a workshop or garage, and did all this work quite literally on the side of the road, next to a railroad, in the industrial part of my city? A dozen pieces of stacked plywood, half a Home Depot's-worth of tools, dust flying everywhere, me in a facemask with powertools in hand.... I had some very interesting looks from people driving by. Even a bylaw dude drove by, but didn't stop :D.

Last edited by yura; 04-18-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Started looking around for actual drawer slides and am very disappointed at the prices I'm seeing. Seems impossible to get 60" slides for anything under ~$220USD... and that would be just one set - I need two!

Coincidentally I have some unused plastic storage boxes that would be a great fit in the room I left for the drawers. Not quite as tall, but otherwise they'd work nicely. I think I may give that setup a shot in the short term and see how it works.

I love Vancouver. Just can't get enough of this shit (NSFW audio):

Wow! Why in the world did they think it was okay for them to go? People are dumb! I've been wanting to buy a dash cam!

Quote Originally Posted by theothersawyer View Post
    Wow! Why in the world did they think it was okay for them to go? People are dumb! I've been wanting to buy a dash cam!
    Because Vancouver is full of narcissistic, holier-than-thou assholes without a shred of decency or common sense. Many people would be perfectly okay with you losing a couple limbs if that meant they could get their latte five seconds faster. And there is zero practical driver education, zero police enforcement of anything actually dangerous, and the only requirement to getting a license is being able to breathe.

Don't put off getting a dash cam. Some of the best money (cam + card = $75) you'll ever spend. I used to think "I'll get one next month, next month, next month," then a semi truck pitt-maneuvered me at 60mph... on a bridge. You'd think that after nearly killing me, he'd take responsibility for his actions, but this is Vancouver we're talking about, so he blamed me for his lane change. I've ran front + rear dash cams ever since. Don't wait until it happens to you.

---

On a happier note, I've carpeted the two plywood panels in that last photo, and will install (or at least test-fit) them on the frame this weekend. I need to rout a couple openings on the narrower panel for some cupboard-style hinges, reinforce the frame (essentially double it) where the u-bolts are, cut + mount the middle divider, mount a strip at the very front, drill pocket-screw holes along the middle divider and the two sides, and then seal (waterproof) the whole thing. Then it'll be mostly ready for assembly, with only a few top-panels outstanding.

Pulled out of the parking lot yesterday to go do some more work on the platform, but accidentally left my tailgate and canopy open. Realized this less than block away, pulled over and saw that I had lost ~$450 of brand new power tools. Circled around, but someone had already picked them up. Literally less than two minutes later. Circled around three times, walked the route, no dice. No one knows anything, no signs anywhere. Great. Will be filing a claim with VISA (they cover lost items purchased less than 90 days ago), but they're already trying to pre-deny this under some "due diligence" loophole.

Being without a circular saw puts this project on hold, so I'll have to order another one tomorrow.

Today I mounted the "european" cabinet hinges and realized my front cubby's "roof" couldn't open all the way as it hit the side rails, so I made the necessary cut-outs, re-covered in carpet, and added handles on both sides (so it can be lifted/opened through the windoors).

As far as the drawers/boxes go, I've settled on making one wide drawer using skateboard bearings (ordered) and a 1" square steel tube. Cheapest route, and a single drawer will maximize available space. With this approach I won't be able to have a middle support for the top platform, but I sat on that large (unmounted) piece of the platform today and it barely flexed under my entire 190lb weight. Laying down, with weight spread across multiple platforms will likely see zero flex.

Sorry to hear about the lost tools, hope Visa agrees to pay. Please post info about your $75 camera when you have chance. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Sorry to hear about the lost tools, hope Visa agrees to pay. Please post info about your $75 camera when you have chance. TIA.
    Camera is a G1WH. They're all over eBay for about $50 (last time I checked). I use a class 10, 32GB memory card - $25. To hardwire it into the vehicle you'll also need a 12V -> 5V step-down converter, which are also all over ebay for about $4-5.

Not the best quality (don't expect to read license plates unless you're stopped behind the vehicle you're interested in), but it'll more than do the job to show what happened, who did what - that's all I really want. Also note that this one does not have a GPS sensor and thus does not show speed on the video - this was an intentional choice. I would not get a dash cam that added speed to the video. An insurance company can be quick to lay half the blame for an accident on you if you admit to doing fitty-five in a fitty-fo.

Did some camping over the weekend:

Now to unpack, wash the truck and give it its first wax.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast