Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone have the M3 LSD swap?

I am going to drop my subframe soon to weld in the floor reinforcements. I want this done before I do any track days. I was thinking since I will be dropping the rear, it may be a good time to go LSD. It seems that the M3 swap may be the most cost efficient way for me. I searched here, E46 Fanatics, and found lots of info, but parts list vary from thread to thread. I saw somewhere that all i need with a ZHP is the diff, subframe, and halfshafts. I have a buddy at a local salvage yard, and could get a hook up. I just need to know what to get. I would like to keep as much of my car as I can. Thanks!!!

You need everything.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    You need everything.
    Some said you dont need the brakes, control arms, hubs, center driveshaft (if your already 6 spd), ect. If thats the case I would only need the diff, subframe, and half shafts. I was hoping to be under a grand... But if I need it all, guess I'll get it all. This is why I was asking some threads said yes and some no.

This is a copy paste swap thread from e46fan---------

So, I finally went ahead and finished the swap this time, after 2 attempts. I had to stop due to lack of time. But now the job is done. I'll add pictures and more details at a later date, but I just wanted to post here that you CAN use the non-m brakes, trailing arms, control arms, and hubs. The axles are a bit of a tight fit in the hub, but there is ample clearance. The non-m rear sway bar will not fit as it hits the differential. The only major fitment issue is the rear wheel speed sensors. The abs rings on the non-m axles are smaller than those on the M3. Thise means the non-m sensors are longer and will not fit with the m3 axles in place. As a temporary solution, I spaced them out. As money and time allow, I will order a set of M3 sensors and test fit them to make sure the difference is only in the sensor and not the trailing arm mount.

Parts list (minimum required for the swap)
    M3 Subframe
    M3 Differential
    M3 Sway Bar
    M3 Driveshaft (6sp cars only)
    M3 Halfshafts
    M3 or other acceptable rear abs sensors

As for performance... well, it's quite an improvement coming from my 3.38 open diff.
    Last edited by Audi 0000; 08-12-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Give Eli (mimalmo) a PM he's working on this swap. And Len, (can't remember username) has completed the swap on his ZHP. They will be able to help the most. But Blocked Out, on e46F.com always has M3 parts for sale in Canada (Toronto if I remember correctly), if you're willing to make the drive as shipping will be super expensive.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Thanks. I will see if they respond. I am not trying to drive that far LOL. My buddy can help me out at large salvage yard in MD. Even on Ebay the parts shipped arent that bad. I am trying to save money to put towards other mods. I appreciate your response. Your in WV, do you ever hit up Summit Point or VIR? I have been going there for years, I just havent ever owned a BMW, so the questions are many. Ttyl.

I thought bcleaver or one of the other track rats did this recently?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Audi 0000 View Post
    Thanks. I will see if they respond. I am not trying to drive that far LOL. My buddy can help me out at large salvage yard in MD. Even on Ebay the parts shipped arent that bad. I am trying to save money to put towards other mods. I appreciate your response. Your in WV, do you ever hit up Summit Point or VIR? I have been going there for years, I just havent ever owned a BMW, so the questions are many. Ttyl.
    My home is in Bel Air, MD. I'm in Morgantown, WV for school...So I don't get out much. I'm still trying to get my car in tip-top shape before I flog her responsibly

I have been very interested in this mod since the possession of my car. I want a 20lb single mass flywheel, ZHP transmission and 3.62 LSD final drive. The M3 offsets will allow for a much wider wheel/ super lip to be run instead of the ET45 with the current rear subframe. So if your hook up has some leads for one more I'd like to know

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I thought bcleaver or one of the other track rats did this recently?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Dane, The Beaver kept his 3.07 final drive, and had it rebuilt with an LSD.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Dane, The Beaver kept his 3.07 final drive, and had it rebuilt with an LSD.
    Ahhh....thanks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

My home is in Bel Air, MD. I'm in Morgantown, WV for school...So I don't get out much. I'm still trying to get my car in tip-top shape before I flog her responsibly
    Oh yeah, I remember talking with you before. Most of my family is in Bel Air, I am from there also. Cool deal. If I can get the parts worked out I am sure I could help you aquire what you need. I have gotten alot of parts from there before and I have always been pleased. If you ever need anything done when your in MD, let me know. I work at a dealer and can help you out with whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi 0000 View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember talking with you before. Most of my family is in Bel Air, I am from there also. Cool deal. If I can get the parts worked out I am sure I could help you aquire what you need. I have gotten alot of parts from there before and I have always been pleased. If you ever need anything done when your in MD, let me know. I work at a dealer and can help you out with whatever.
    Thanks for the nod, my friend. I'll keep you in mind when my 'clunk' becomes unbearable...not that it isn't already
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast