Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Clutch fo sho!
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Clutch slippage is when the pressure plate can not provide enough force to lock the disc to the flywheel and transfer the rotational force of the flywheel, which is attached to the engine, to the clutch disc that is attached to the transmission. When this happens the engine revs spike. Which is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what he is experiencing.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

So what's your expert opinion, Webster?

Either way his car is bogging down, which would make it clutch related if it revs fine when completely engaged and when disengaged.

Azkotik, go a head and clean your MAF just for shits and see if your problem is any better.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post

Either way his car is bogging down, which would make it clutch related if it revs fine when completely engaged and when disengaged.

Azkotik, go a head and clean your MAF just for shits and see if your problem is any better.
    Or unplug It.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post

I was trying to explain it as simple as possible so that you could understand it and realize on your own that his clutch is not slipping. Apparently I didn't do a very good job so we'll try this again.

Under acceleration, the clutch transfers torque from the engine to the transmission. Under de-acceleration, it transfers torque from the transmission to the engine. Under NO SITUATION* does it magically generate any force of it's own and therefore CANNOT cause an engine to bog down.

William.

* if your throwout bearing freezes it will generate a slight amount of friction but you would know if this happened as it would self destruct in a matter of seconds.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Keep it civil. I'm out. Guess I don't understand.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I would start by getting that check engine light code read.
    It for sure sounds like there is some serious clutch slippage here, and I seriously doubt it's from driver error as it happens on every single shift, and I've never seen someone consistently do that. I actually don't see any power dipping going on, it just looks like the clutch is slipping to a point where it's not transferring that power correctly. A slipping clutch will not be transferring all the power the engine has to offer, which may very well result in decreased performance. Either way, if that's not driver error, I wouldn't drive it like that and would have the clutch inspected ASAP.

I did notice something that may seem like something the OP is doing wrong though; at 20 seconds, you see the revs rise right before falling back down again for a shift change. OP, did you have someone else drive your car and see if the problem is still evident for them? Are you sure it's not something you're doing wrong with the shifts? Every time I come back to think about it, the first thing I'm thinking is "slipping clutch". I'd be reeeeally curious as to what this is if that's not it, and am itching to learn something.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

CDV deleted or not (could be that simple)?. But like wsmeyer, if clutch was slipping, RMP would go up fast.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    CDV deleted or not (could be that simple)?. But like wsmeyer, if clutch was slipping, RMP would go up fast.

So I'm confused; if it's not the clutch, why does it look like one is slipping the clutch while giving it throttle?
    The only people I've seen do that are people just starting to drive a manual... I seriously doubt the OP is just learning how to drive a stick.

What other potential causes could there be to that particular behaviour? Because I'm not sitting in the car, I don't see any power bogging, only the behaviour of what looks like clutch slippage. Would you have any insight on this Oli?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

The slip is the hi rev and the dip in rpms is when it engages fully, or as much as a worn clutch can. Think of doing a burnout and tires, the tires slip until they grab and as that happens the rpms go high until they grab then the rpms go lower. Make sense?
    Last edited by Johnmadd; 09-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast