Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tips/Advice for the photogs Noob. Questions as well.

New photographers, feel free to post any ridiculously easy questions you have here. This thread will not be judged.

Also, if the pros want to step up, and throw us a bone every now and then, about something they learned it would be most appreciative.

I have 6 questions to start. Many more after tomorrow I'm sure.

1. Do you stow your camera in the bag, with the strap on it? If so...what is the proper storage routine (i.e. do you wrap the strap up, or gently lay it on the camera)? Any opinions here are appreciated.

2. Do you keep the base for the tripod mounted on the bottom of your camera?

3. Do you stow your camera in the bag with the lense attached? Disassembled?

4. How does heat, from say a car, affect a dslr? I ask...because I want to have my camera with me as much as possible....to practice, and also to minimize missing opportunities.

5. After you upload your pics...do you delete your photos from the SD CARD?

6. When is the best time to charge the battery? Should I let it almost fully drain before charging?

I will only try to ask what I don't think is covered in the manual.

This is my first real camera and want to care for it properly.

Thanks....pros.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    6. When is the best time to charge the battery? Should I let it almost fully drain before charging?
    i'll leave the rest for the pros but batteries (of all kind) should generally be charged when drained. every battery has only a certain number of charges in it so you dont wanna put it on the charger too much. you could charge it whenever you want, it will just need to eventually be replaced. think of a laptop battery, ever had one of those go out on you? its cause you unplug/plug the cord all the time and everytime you do that it kills it a little faster

1. Strap on. Lay on top
    2. No
    3.Attached. But always cover both ends if stored otherwise
    4. Would like to know more on this too
    5.YES. I format IN camera after each upload
    6.I try to drain as much as possible before each charge

Just what I do. And Im a noob too fyi...
    -ADAM

What DSLR did you get Dane?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    What DSLR did you get Dane?
    D5100....sir.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

New photographers, feel free to post any ridiculously easy questions you have here. This thread will not be judged.

Also, if the pros want to step up, and throw us a bone every now and then, about something they learned it would be most appreciative.

I have 6 questions to start. Many more after tomorrow I'm sure.

1. Do you stow your camera in the bag, with the strap on it? If so...what is the proper storage routine (i.e. do you wrap the strap up, or gently lay it on the camera)? Any opinions here are appreciated.

2. Do you keep the base for the tripod mounted on the bottom of your camera?

3. Do you stow your camera in the bag with the lense attached? Disassembled?

4. How does heat, from say a car, affect a dslr? I ask...because I want to have my camera with me as much as possible....to practice, and also to minimize missing opportunities.

5. After you upload your pics...do you delete your photos from the SD CARD?

I will only try to ask what I don't think is covered in the manual.

This is my first real camera and want to care for it properly.

Thanks....pros.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    1. In bag, i dont use a strap
    2. yes as it's universal to all of my manfrotto tripod heads.
    3. depends on which bag it's in, but most of the time no.
    4. would probably be ok in the trunk during a hot day. I would bring it in at night, cold will do the same as extreme heat would.
    5. when you start shooting really big jobs and such you'll have to but I wouldn't delete until i put onto my computer and also instantly back that folder up too. it's always nice to shoot on a clean card as you never know if you'll need all the room you can get. (like if you were to run into marisa miller on the street and she asked you to shoot some nudez 4 her).
    6. I charge before big shoot days but i'll let it drain totally if I can every now and then.

hows the camera feel DW? why'd you go Nikon over Canon?
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Couple of reasons.

1. The place o was at seemed to have a great price.

2. Older NIKON lenses can be used while rebel cameras have to use rebel lenses.

3. It felt right.

4. Casey and Boss bought NIKON.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I'm on the road, but wanted to chime in with a suggestion. Dane, pick up a second battery. I can let one battery charge while I'm using another one. Or, if I know I'm going to shoot for quite a long time, I can have two batteries with me. I picked up a nikon battery for about $20 on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of reasons.

1. The place o was at seemed to have a great price.

2. Older NIKON lenses can be used while rebel cameras have to use rebel lenses.

3. It felt right.

4. Casey and Boss bought NIKON.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    #3 is most important...

#2 I'm not sure about, never heard that before, where is the info on that? I was told you can fit any lens onto the Rebels.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    5.YES. I format IN camera after each upload
    +1. FORMAT card, not delete files. On my Nikon there are two buttons, one on each side with a red symbol. Hold both until the LCD reads 'for' then depress again and card is formatted.

You should do this before any shoot because files and folder structures are sometimes messed up when the card is read in-camera/ with a reader/ used in any other camera. Deleting also leaves empty spots in the card. Say you take a shot/file that is 1.2Mb. You delete it and later take some other shot but this one is a larger file size. Well in order for the card to save it 1.2Mb is placed in the empty spot and the balance is placed in the next empty spot. This is where errors start to occur. Reformatting completely refreshes the card. Erasing does not, and leaves potential errors lurking. (damn lurkers) Don't you love the benefits of technology?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast