Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

DIY: Starter Replacement - Not as horrible as it seems doityourself

Undertook this project because of symptoms described here.

So I got the starter swapped out with way less of a headache than I expected. Spent two nights after work ~3hrs each including the 30 mins it takes to get the thing up on jack stands and properly secured. Sorry there are a lot less pictures than planned since my better half took the camera out of town forcing me to use my phone for the important things like recording where wires went etc.

So to start this is on a 2004 330Ci 6MT:
    -Jack car up and safely secure it before crawling underneath and wrenching on stuff
    -Disconnect battery in trunk
    -Remove front plastic splash guard (7 phillips screws)
    -Remove the aluminum belly brace (8 bolts 16mm I think)

*This is all I had to remove* - Didn't have to do anything from the top like the DIY's said since I could get both bolts from below using the contraption I'll describe below. Discovered this after already removing the cabin filter and housing of course.

-It will look like this up where you're going to be poking around so clean it off. (view looking up at drivers side of tranny with rear of car to right)

-Should undo that hose guide (top middle of pic) to move the hose a little more out of the way.
    -Same with the thin semi-rigid fuel line on the same support
    -Remove the nut (lower middle of pic) to get the vacuum canister out of the way since the starter is directly behind it
    -Now you have eyes on the starter and the real fun can begin

-Just feel around up there so you can get a sense of where things are and supposed to go since the bolt removal is almost entirely by feel.
    -Build your extension & u-joint contraption:
    _____-For the lower bolt it's much easier and you can get away with about a foot and a half of wobbly extensions (I used E12 socket-3 inch-Ujoint-6inch wobble-10in wobble)
    _____-For the upper I used a bit more to get up the transmission tunnel, over towards the center, and up to the interface where the bolt is. E12 socket-3inch-U-joint-6inch straight-U-joint-6inch wobble-10inch wobble-ratchet-big box end wrench for torque) You'll have to guide it as it'll be long and floppy going into the tight space (yes I know how that sounds...)

-Once broken loose the bolts should come out relative easily
    -Now go back up to the starter side and grab the starter and wiggle it loose (there's still a guide pin holding it on)
    -You'll have to move the vacuum canister around if you didn't remove it but there's room to maneuver with it loose.

-Easier to get the wires off if you twist the starter vertical so the posts are facing down and can use a socket to loosen the connections.

Took a few more pics so I knew where the wires went but really isn't tricky at all. There are three different sized posts on the starter solenoid:
    -The largest has two heavy gauge wires both with red coverings on the connectors
    -The medium is the one on the bottom and is a small ~18ga black wire with a yellow maybe white stripe
    -The smallest post is a plain black wire coming from the same loom as the one going to the medium post and is on the top side of the solenoid

-Once you've got the wires disconnected you can finangle the starter out of that cavity.

Check the starter/tranny for the guide pin as you'll need to reuse it with the new starter. Will probably also help to lightly sand/at least clean the pin so it goes onto the new starter easily as it'll be a pain later.

Pics via phone jammed up in the hole and rotated to fit.
    Guide pin goes in the top right hole. Be sure not to drop it in the open hole into the transmission! I didn't do this but could see how it would be easy to do.

Check out your flywheel teeth

-Reassemble, reconnect battery and give it a try before you finish buttoning everything up and lowering car.
    -Finish buttoning everything up and lower car
    -Have a beer

That is awesome. Makes this headache seem...."not as bad"

Well done and thanks for the contribution.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great contribution! The intake manifold is definitely a bitch to get off if you haven't done it before! Way to think around convention! Mad props.

Courtesy of Gingerbread...
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Major kudos.

Great job.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

good stuff. Did you have to move the tranny down at all?
    Jon Estrella - 997 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Au2bahn View Post
    good stuff. Did you have to move the tranny down at all?
    Nope, the rear support gets a little in the way of the extra long extension but solved that with the second U-joint to bring it down and out of the tunnel before it hits that back transmission brace. It's a little tight up top but there's definitely enough room between the transmission and the tunnel to get the sockets, joints and extensions in there up to the bolt. You'll have to guide the socket onto the torx bolt head by reaching over the starter

Wow, great write up, I'm not as intimated as I was before. Goods pics even with phone camera. By the way, how does one determine which starter to purchase i.e. Threaded or non threaded.
    Last edited by echo46; 11-05-2011 at 08:12 AM.

From my research it seems that this is the same starter that's used on the e36's and a few others as well and most e46's will have the threaded one. Found an e46 poll thread somewhere and of the ~10-15 people that had replaced their starters all of them were threaded. Further researching led me to believe that the unthreaded was simply the older model and could easily be swapped with the threaded one (just have to the change bolts too) - but don't quote me on that. I was going to go that route and hope for the best when I decided to just actually take a look in the engine bay and see if I could see anything useful. Sure enough, you can actually see the rear of the starter flange if you have a flashlight and look between back right corner of the engine and the master cylinder just above the intake boot. I'll try to take a picture of the area I'm talking about tonight. You should be able to make out one of the bolts (believe it's the upper one) and about 2-3 threads protruding from the flange. Just hope for no nuts because then I don't know what you'll do.

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

starter is failing on my zhp. i think the ignition switch was also going out as i would sometimes have a no crank situation. since replacing the switch the car has started every time, but is making a noise right upon startup. tested the secondary air pump and that's not it, so leaves the starter as the likely suspect.

will be doing this next weekend - thank you for the writeup.
    - now with 5 speeds

Bump for Joop.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast