Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headers - sound

Headers - sound

Well after much deliberation I have decided to keep the ZHP. I just can't justify selling her with only 41K on the clock and she's in great shape. Anything I want is upwards of 50K more like 70.. and given I put less than 5K on the car a year.. just not worth it. So more performance here I come.

The next step for me is either doing nothing or putting on headers to compliment the exhaust/intake/software I have already done. If I do it I have decided on the Active Autowerks ones as they will also fine my software as part of the install. Should add about 15 RWHP and about the same amount of torque per the Active guys and the dyno tests.

Here's the question.. how much louder will the be both inside and outside the car given the rest of the exhaust will not change. I don't mind a little more aggressive sound just don't want to be silly loud.

Any and all input appreciated.
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

What exhaust do you have now?

From my experience, it will be stupid loud. You have no cats, (and I assume no resonators) and an aftermarket exhaust...they are extremely loud at all RPMs and drone like none other. That's my warning.

Now, do they sound sickkk? Indeed they do, everything comes at a cost though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmBlrhh8-U

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

The Active Autowerke muffler sounds pretty damn good with headers, but it is loud. Doesn't drone. Did you keep the stock 330 piping besides the muffler? If so weld in some cats with the headers and it won't be too bad.
    - Derek

headers will make any aftermarket exhaust seem like a childs toy in terms of sound.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Besides the TSE3 that is.
    - Derek

Currently have the Active Auto exhaust. They indicated if I put in the free flow cats I loose most of the benefit of headers vs no cats.

That's my big concern, the noise and drone is exactly my concern.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

I drove a supercharged 323 that definitely had the AA muffler and was supposed to have AA headers. It was loud, but I don't remember drone of any sort. It wasn't running cats, I know that because it smelled horrible. As a matter of fact I might have a video of the car, it wasn't running right but lemme look...
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
    Currently have the Active Auto exhaust. They indicated if I put in the free flow cats I loose most of the benefit of headers vs no cats.

That's my big concern, the noise and drone is exactly my concern.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    The thing is, is that most mufflers are designed for the sound that comes out when you have OEM headers. Once you remove that, you change the complete sound characteristic profile of the system, and now that drone eliminator doesn't work anymore...because you're releasing different frequencies.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Do you want the video? It's not amazing but it'll give you a feel for it I suppose. It is with headers I'm 99% sure.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    headers will make any aftermarket exhaust seem like a childs toy in terms of sound.
    I suggest you listen to this man:

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    Besides the TSE3 that is.
    ^ Because this man speaks the truth.

I can actually directly compare the TSE3 to an OEM exhaust with just headers, because I paid Kris a visit today. His exhaust is stock, but he has headers. I have stock headers but a TSE3 full catback. He says my exhaust is louder, and I agree.

BUT,
    The OEM exhaust with headers adds a large amount of sound. When you put your foot down, you can HEAR it; it's almost as loud as my exhaust at WOT. When you're not pushing it, however, you had an added amount of sound but no drone at cruising speed. Kris says that below say 1000rpm, you will get some drone, but nobody cruises at 1k rpm anyway, so that's irrelevant. When we went out onto the highway, if you were to just cruise, it would be perfectly comfortable.

I don't know how it would be with your exhaust though, Jon.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast