Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Starting M3 rear end/diff swap doityourself

Well, today I will finally start doing the M3 rear end swap. I will probably take about a week (hopefully not longer) to complete the job since I will be doing it in the afternoons after work. I will be using my dads "spare" car during this process.

I have searched everywhere trying to find a nice write-up about this swap but have not found anything. Only comments about people who have done it. I want to write this in order for everyone considering it, to have something to read before buying anything. This thread will most probably not be a DIY, but more as a guide to what you can encounter and what could help along the way.

Ok, lets get started,

What I have purchased until today (hopefully I wont have to buy any more parts):

-rear subframe (you have to make sure it comes with both rods, one shaped like a V and the other goes beneath the carrier, the carriers listed on ebay do not come with these rods)

-driveshaft

-axle shafts

-trailing arms, control arms, brakes (I wont use the M3 ones since I want to keep the installation as simple as possible, plus I dont want to bleed the brakes)

-rear sway bar, original M3 (bought it new through ECS for $69, limited time offer)

-rear sway bar links, bushings (might as well change them and since Im already there)

-front sway bar (got it free from a friend, and will be a nice compliment so have the complete M3 setup) I already had the M3 strut brace, also free from the same friend.

-front sway bar links (mine are in need of replacement anyways)

-guibo

-ALL new nuts, bolts, seals, etc. (basically I went to realoem.com and got everything that had a different part number. This was $553.00 in a local shop. I dont want a delay for not having a $0.58 nut, for example)

-new BMW lsd fluid (its supposed to be the best for this diff)

Hopefully I have everything I need. If something delays me, it could be a tool or need for help. I will have a friend, he has done this before on all his e30's, helping me throughout most of the process. The swap will be done using four jack stands, and inside a garage with plenty of light and area to work on.

The only thing worrying me a little right now is getting the 330 axle shafts out. My car has 93k miles and they could be pretty tight. Anyone has had to take them out? Any suggestions on this? I will be using a puller, but sometimes even with a puller they can be a pain.

Scope of work for today:

-get the car lifted (on jack stands)
    -take wheels off
    -remove sway bars
    -remove exhaust
    -remove heat sheild
    -learn my way around the area I will be working. Check to see if I need any tool, or additional part.

So, no more talking for now. I will probably get started by 3pm eastern time and work all the way through 7pm.

Feel free to ask any question. My email is jlastor@acemergencypower.com. And if you ever come down to Puerto Rico let me know!
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

Nice!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Hope this goes smoothly. Take pics!

BTW, you have the coolest name, Juan Luis. I love it.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Juan,

Be sure to take a lot of pics and document your process. I'm interested to see how everything works out for you

Good luck man, should be pretty sweet when you're done.

Audi just swapped in a 3.91 LSD in his e36. I got to drive it the other day
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

I'm all for keeping things simple, but why are you not going to use the M3 calipers? Bleeding the brakes is child's play.

Good luck.

I'm on the moon.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    I'm all for keeping things simple, but why are you not going to use the M3 calipers? Bleeding the brakes is child's play.

Good luck.

I'm on the moon.
    Brake bias perhaps? I think the M3 piston is larger than the 330 piston, and retrofitting the front calipers requires the entire front end suspension off an M3 iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Brake bias perhaps? I think the M3 piston is larger than the 330 piston, and retrofitting the front calipers requires the entire front end suspension off an M3 iirc.
    Shouldn't matter. 3ers are designed with rear bias. If anything, performance should be improved?

I'm on the moon.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Fantastic! Looking forward to the results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast