Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Is my BMW mechaninc/buddy trying to rip me off??

First, I am going to apologize for this VERY long post, but I am trying to not leave any details out....so here goes....

I have an 05 ZHP coupe, 6mt w/ 50k miles on it. I live in the DC area and my buddy that I have known for more than 15 years happens to be a BMW lead tech as a BMW dealership in the DC area.

When I bought my ZHP 3 months ago, he told me he would take care of my maintenance at a reduced labor price and get me parts at his cost. He has a professional car lift at his house with all the BMW tools needed to do side jobs.

The first thing he did for my car was replace the accesory belts. He quoted me $125 parts & labor. I agreed and he did the job.

Just before SIGFEST 2012, I asked him if he could do my oil change and check out 2 lights that were on my dash. The first light was my "yellow oil light". I asked him, about it and he said to check the oil. I asked him, should I check the oil after its been sitting still for 8 hours or should I check it after driving it for a few minutes. He said its fine to have it parked all day at work and then check it at the end of the day before starting the engine. The level showed right in the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick, however the oil light would keep coming on while driving and also illuminate for 20 seconds after shutting the engine off. My buddy said, its probably the oil level sensor that went bad and that he would check it out. The other light that was constantly (and still is) on, is the "service engine soon" light. He told me that its probably an emissions related thing but not serious. I asked him if he could pull the codes and he said it would cost me $50 to pull the codes. He also quoted me $90 for an oil change (includes oil, filter and labor)

Now, I know the stealer charge about $140 for an oil change and $120 to pull the codes. I asked my buddy why so much to pull the codes and he said it takes about 30 mins for the entire diagnostic to complete and that it runs through a series of tests and thats why he wants to charge me $50 for that.

I told him to hold off until after SIGFEST. Just before I left for SIGFEST, I got online and called a few BMW mechaninc shops - asking them when should I check my oil...when its been resting all day long or should I run the engine for a few mins first? They all said, run the engine for 5-10 mins and then let it sit for 3 mins, then check it.

I did so, and the oil level was in the low range. I bought some BMW oil previous to checking the dipstick and indeed it needed oil, so I added a little bit at a time and kept checking the dipstick. After adding a full quart, the dipstick read right in the middle of the safe zone. I turned my engine back on and since then the oil light has not come back on since! So, I am sure it was not my oil level sensor, like my buddy said it probably was.

Next, while I was at SIGFEST, I was lucky enough to meet a nice guy that had a portable code reader. He was more than willing to pull my codes for free and even told me from his manual what each one meant. I am 95% sure the code reader he was using was a "Peake research R5 FCX3-16 Fault Code reader" He pulled my codes and they were" 28dd (mass air sensor) & 2882/2883 (mixture prep) - which he thinks that I may have a crack in my lower intake boot.

When I got back to the DC area and texted my buddy that my oil light has not come on in 3 days since adding a quart of oil and that I had my codes pulled and what they each meant. He replied back "those codes dont mean much to me. Thats aftermarket scanners. I get BMW codes and tests with my BMW SW".

I want to know from you guys/gals, are the codes pulles using the Peake scanner the same as a BMW scanner, or would they be something totally different. Also, is it really that labor intensive to check codes. (A guy that I never met before, did it for free in 10 minutes, yet a buddy that Ive known for 15+ years wants $50 bucks)???

Do you guys/gals think he is ripping me off or just trying to squeeze as much money out of me as possible?

Please chime in.

-Andrew

I'd say your getting screwed by your "buddy." $50.00 to pull codes when a family member did it for free? I think that says a lot right there. A code is a code and all that happens is plugging a cable or reader into the OBD2 port... Nothing magic about it.

The guy is making money off of you. People bring their cars to me, andvi pull their codes in about 30 seconds.

The tech should have told you to check your oil level in accordance with your owners manual. That is....after being fully warmed up....you should check it 10 to 50 minutes after shutdown...I think.

I dunno about that guy.

Sent from a Thunderbolt
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Hornung418...thank you for the advice!!! very much appreciated and it feels nice to know there are awesome people on this site!

I wonder how much he charges for blinker fluid? LMAO... Dane comps it for mafiosos.

Andrew, Seems like you need a new friend...

You should always check oil after it has run for a bit and sits for 5 minutes. Your sensor was doing it's job and letting you know that it was a quart low.

As for the codes, you should really get your hands dirty and clean the intake tract. Get some MAF cleaner from the Auto Parts Store and spray it in only in the direction of air flow. NEVER SPRAY IT BACKWARDS!!

When you get to the intake boots just undo the Worm Gear clips and pull them out of there. The most likely place for the boots to crack are at the elbow for the Idle Air Control Valve and the vacuum line F-Clip.

Best of luck. And if you need some hands on help there are plenty of us in the DC area to lend a hand
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Thank you SoarinZHP and Dane for chiming in. I think I will be doing more work on my car than expected, but at least I got the family and this website to help me through it. But for bigger jobs, like Service Inspection II, I think I will have to find a mechanic and try to negotiate a fair price.

Also, I should mention, that my "buddy" just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and I am sure is momey hungry because of it. Just sucks that he treats me like any other person that approaches him for side jobs that he really doesnt know. I think I will have a man to man talk (of course using sugar versus vinegar in my tone) with him and see if I can work him to a better overall rate. He quoted me $75/hour labor for anything he does to my car and justifies it because the dealer is $140/hour)...Ill see if he will do it for $50 an hour. :/

OK, so as for pulling codes, he is kinda in the right and kinda in the wrong. Those Peake code reader DO in fact give unique codes that will mean nothing to anyone except those that have the manual for the Peake readers. Now, others have standard OBD readers, like me, and like the family here, I am willing to hook it up and scan anyone's codes for free. BUT, your friend, being a BMW tech, likely does have a full BMW diag tool that likely does take a long time to do it's scans and self tests. Still though, for $50 bucks, it seems pretty steep.

$90 on the oil change is not too bad, but if I had my own lift, I would not be charging my friends a single dime for labor. With our cars having a oil filter housing up top, oil changes are a breeze to begin with. You can get an oil change "kit" from any of the online vendors around 60-80 bucks shipped.

Long story short, unless this friend is doing all the work from the BMW shop and not his house, he should not be charging you for anything as far as labor is concerns, except maybe on those belts, and I think that was an OK price as well.

So, it takes 30 minutes to run his "extensive test" but he's going to charge you $50? That does not sound like "friends" rates. Now, he's cheaper than the dealer so he's giving you a break, but it's not "friends" rates, rather more like acquaintances rates. Same with the $90 oil change. So, in short, it seems like he's making money off of you but not gouging you. He's cheaper than the dealer. I'd treat my "friends" better than that, but everyone's different.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

John,
    I agree...its definitely more of an "aquaintance" price than a "friend" price. I found a coupon online for %15 off BMW oil from the stealer for a case (total price including tax and discount is = $80.58) which is about $6.71/quart = $10 for a filter. 7 quarts of oil + 1 filter would cost me about $60 bucks. The $90 price my "friend" was offering me means $30 in labor he keeps. I know of a shop where I used to take my Acura and bring my own synthetic oil and filter and they would only charge me $20 labor....so my friend is definitely making money off me, but probably because he knows I dont have a place to change the oil myself and so he thinks he is the best I got.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast