Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm just saying that the technical aspect of a motor swap as to doing internals is much easier.

You could apply your same logic there too. Swapping a piston on a Chevy is the same as swapping a piston on a BMW, no?

The point I'm trying to make is that with a project this large and critical, having someone who's knowledgeable on BMW's is a must have.

Man that sucks...Sorry to hear the bad news.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    You could apply your same logic there too. Swapping a piston on a Chevy is the same as swapping a piston on a BMW, no?

The point I'm trying to make is that with a project this large and critical, having someone who's knowledgeable on BMW's is a must have.
    Point taken , but I am known not to debate much and I disagree on this one respectively.. an engine swap for the same engine is more wrench turning but less technically challenging and is therefore not as specific to a certain engine or brand.

Does anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of searching out a short block and replacing that. Over pulling the pistons and replacing the rings.

I'm getting slightly hung up on the uncertainty of potentially putting another problem into my car. And my first inclination is to want to pull it apart anyway and make sure that it's sound; which kind of nullifies the point of getting the new short block.

My head is full of fuck trying to figure this all out still. The labor is going to be extensive either way. The price tag is going to be big either way. It seems to be that the labor savings from replacing the block is eaten in the cost of buying the block. The only gain seems to be the time.

I'm having a stupid idea also of putting headers on. I mean, everything is pulled apart anyway right. Any recommendations that fit in the good inexpensive quality triangle? There isn't an emissions test where I live so catless isn't an issue.

All the E46's I've heard with headers are louder than I'd like for a DD and get really raspy when used with the stock exhaust. That said, I'm old.

With just replacing the piston rings, you know what condition your engine will be in. The leakdown test with a new block could prove that it's sealed, but you have no prior history of the block and how it was treated. I'd save this engine if you have the time and money. Better for resale and will only increase it's lifespan.

Whip out the spreadsheets and create different scenarios how your engine rings can get repaired. Be sure to examine all of the "while I'm in there" items and determine if they are wants or needs. Do what you can to get the car back on the road for the priority you feel is best.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

sorry to hear about this..Hope you find a good solution - keep us updated, please...

So what can CAUSE something like this? what can one do to prevent this from happening ?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Eli: I used to drive a 68 mustang with a 289 that had headers and fairly wide open set of mufflers. I'm actually a little bothered by how quiet the stock exhaust is.

Hornung: I'm leaning towards the straight rebuild and replace what part that need it. With the cost of the block evening out the total cost the time doesn't seem to be that big of an advantage especially with the piece of mind that I'll gain.

Washburn: the most likely cause is that a previous owner drove it hard without allowing the engine to warm up first.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast