Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What did I break and what is it going to cost me?

My plan today was to attack my rough idle by cleaning the MAF sensor, throttle body, and ICV, and replacing the DISA and intake boots. To do all of this I was going to need to remove the strut brace.

When I was removing one of the nuts holding down the strut brace it stopped backing off the bolt and started spinning freely. I cannot remove it or tighten it. In the picture below it is the nut without the cover on it.

1. What did I break?
    2. How much is it going to cost to get fixed at an indy?
    3. Can I drive the car there or does it need to go on a flat bed?

I live in apartment complex so jacking up the car is not an option.

Dmn. Cant remember stock strut tower. Yu should be able to reach up.......wait. Crap. Can you jack it up a little on that side and just take off the tire?
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

I don't even own a jack or jack-stands.

The car is definitely drivable, just don't go chucking it around turns too hard until you know how the car handles having a loose nut. Make sure the other two are tight.

Those studs that the nut tightens on to is part of I think the front struts, which I don't *think* are replaceable unless you swap the strut.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Thats what i cant remember either, bp. And OP, you have the jack that came with the car, right? Tis would be a simple jacking job
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Nut attaches to FSM bolt. If you were to do it:

Jack car up and remove tire. reach up, underneath and hold stud with vice grips. remove nut.

If they charge you more than 1 hours labor, it's bullshit.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Should be able to weld the pin back to the FSM. It's pressed in initially and likely you just broke it free from its hold.

And you may want to invest in a set of jack and stands!

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Should be able to weld the pin back to the FSM. It's pressed in initially and likely you just broke it free from its hold.

And you may want to invest in a set of jack and stands!

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Welding shouldn't be necessary.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I don't think you broke anything. I found this ebay listing so you can see what the part looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/e46-Front-St...p2047675.l2557

Those are just splined studs that are pressed in to the shock mount. I found this on a Google image search so you can see what one looks like:

http://www.evocorse.com/en/colonnett...aggio-435.html

In the picture of your car it looks like the stud is pretty far down in the bolt so I think as you were loosening it it pushed itself down until the splines were out of the mount and then it just spins. With the tire off you should be able to get a long screwdriver up in there and tap it up so the splined part is back in the mount. To do this safely though you're going to have to get it up on a jack stand.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

There are too many kids running around for me to feel comfortable jacking up the car. Looks like I'm paying for an hour of shop time. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast