Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Think my starter is dying - need second opinion.

Car has started cranking slow, slow like when the battery has low voltage or it's very very cold out. I just put a brand new battery in last night (Maxx H7 - 12/12 date code) does the exact same thimg. Starter does not make any weird noises..... engine just goes wuh, wuh, and then fires right up..... At the B+ jumper underhood. I get 12.5V en
    gine off and 13.9-14.0v engine running.

Just changed plugs last week. Has 90,292 miles.
    Rick
    Leave now before I shed my human form and kill you...

Rick

Could be the starter. How's the oil? When was your last change? If the starter is good, I'd be worried about the load on it. I think you should be running around 14.5V with the engine on, could be a regulator issue but that wouldn't explain your slow start.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTRex View Post
    At the B+ jumper underhood. I get 12.5V engine off and 13.9-14.0v engine running.
    Rick
    These are exactly what they should be for a new battery and properly working voltage regulator.

I think it's the starter but that's en expensive guess.

If it is the starter it would be bad windings, which would also cause a higher resistance across the terminals. A few people here have service manuals and can look up the correct values.

William.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Oil is full and changed less than 1k miles ago. I cleaned ground strap and B+ terminal underhood.

Wondering...... I let it run for only 15 min after battery swap, maybe new one needs a good charge?

Rick

Yep, could be. Although every battery I have ever bought would always be rather fully charged right from the get go.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I also got a H7 a few days ago with date code 5/12 - absolutely no problems starting...So i doubt that it's the new battery.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I thought there was some relay for the starter known to cause these kinds of slow/weak cranking scenarios, or is that my imagination? Same as the horn relay or something?

Well guys its definately the starter. I took a ride for a fews hours this afternoon. I stopped at gas station to pee and the starter would not work at all. No click no nothing. Got a quick push start. I guess tomorrow i will be swapping starters.

Rick

^Ugh. That just doesn't look like a fun job.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I paid a shop for that one. Had to drop the trans instead of pulling the intake manifold. Hope its warm in your garage if your doing it yourself.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast