Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY replacing Drive Belt/Serp Belt--are these good instructions?

I searched the forums for info but I guess my search-fu isn't very good. I am sure somewhere around here there's really good information related to this job.

Anyway at 83k on my '05 ZHP my drive belt is looking worn. Based on the estimate I got at my indy decided to go ahead and DIY this one.

For those that have done this job, does this look like a solid info sheet?
    http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/belts.php

Any suggestions/tips alternate instructions if needed would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks!
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I searched the forums for info but I guess my search-fu isn't very good. I am sure somewhere around here there's really good information related to this job.

Anyway at 83k on my '05 ZHP my drive belt is looking worn. Based on the estimate I got at my indy decided to go ahead and DIY this one.

For those that have done this job, does this look like a solid info sheet?
    http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/belts.php

Any suggestions/tips alternate instructions if needed would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks!
    Yep looks perfect. How much did they want for that job?

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Yep looks perfect. How much did they want for that job?
    $180 for just the drive belt--over $200 to do both. Unsure if that's reasonable or not, but my reaction was "to change a belt?"

Doesn't look that hard...
    '05 ZHP Coupe 6MT | Imola Red w/ Natural Brown
    M3 Mirrors | BMW Performance Airbox & Strut Brace | AC Schnitzer Pedals | Weathertech Mats | Homelink Transmitter | OEM First Aid Box | Dynavin N7 Pro

I'm not even sure you need to remove the fan if you have a manual.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

It's not much work to remove the fan. Allows for a lot more room. You could probably do it with the fan on. My preference is to take it off.

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Take fan off and get a camera to take pics of the tensioner bolts. That way you will not mess up the head. Some cars have a torx socket others have a hex socket. So make sure.

I just changed the belt on my Altima and that was a PITA. The e46 is very straight forward and can be done in 20 minutes if you learn your way around them.

From a GS3, this was sent.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Take fan off and get a camera to take pics of the tensioner bolts. That way you will not mess up the head. Some cars have a torx socket others have a hex socket. So make sure.
    This, this, this!!! Last time I was taking my belts off (replacing pulleys) I spent 30 – 45 min just banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why my Torx bit wasn't working anymore on the tensioner to get the belt back on! Thought I had stripped out the bolt, but turns out I was using the wrong bit the whole time!

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you take out the fan & verify what type of bolt is on your tensioners. Like Hornung said, it'll either be a Torx or hex.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Good lord, I remember this headache when I did my belts for the first time and replaced pulleys too.

The DIY noted above shows a hydraulic tensioner unit and as noted in earlier posts, it'll have either a T50 or an 8mm hex for releasing tension (clockwise).

But if you have the mechanical belt tensioner, look for a nut built into the casting and use that to release tension. See arrow in photo below. Also, behind the arrow you can see where a hex wrench is used to hold the tensioner while replacing the belt. IIRC, the screwdriver from the trunk tool kit also fits there.

If you have yet to replace the idler and tensioner pulley wheels, do yourself a HUGE favor and replace those while the belt is off.

I'd print this and have available when replacing the drive belt:

Last edited by aurelius; 04-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast