Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Stereo Time

Nice job!!! I went the BSW way because this type of job i totally out my abilities (I guess I could do it but not into it, lol). I do like my BSW setup anyways.

Totally out of topic, I see your trunk is grey inside. My car (imola red sedan) has red (matte) spare tire well, and red inside panels. Is that a normal difference between coupes and sedans since they are assembled in different factories?
    Juan Luis

2003 Imola Red Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Damn... I wish I had the knowledge to do all of this.

I'm growing more and more tired of my stock system and there isn't much I can do about it..

Great work OP!
    Thanks. I had no knowledge of how to do this either before this project so don't let that hold you back. There is a ton of info in the e46fanatics ICE section that will get you the level of understanding needed to do this. It really isn't that technically difficult, it is just time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlastor View Post
    Nice job!!! I went the BSW way because this type of job i totally out my abilities (I guess I could do it but not into it, lol). I do like my BSW setup anyways.

Totally out of topic, I see your trunk is grey inside. My car (imola red sedan) has red (matte) spare tire well, and red inside panels. Is that a normal difference between coupes and sedans since they are assembled in different factories?
    No idea. Mine was one of last ones built so maybe they were running short on paint

Nice job with the amplifier mounting! I'm impressed that you fit the custom amplifier rack withing the stock frame. My first install in my last ZHP used plywood to mount the amplifiers and it was sloppy- the carpet bulged out. Looks like you have plenty of space to adjust everything and keep the wires far apart (that need to be).

Let us know how you decide to trim the subwoofer baffle! 12Velectronics sells BMW trunk carpet if you're looking.

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Damn... I wish I had the knowledge to do all of this.

I'm growing more and more tired of my stock system and there isn't much I can do about it..

Great work OP!
    I can help you out. Through trial and error, I've been through E46 installations of (almost) every sort that there is.
    - Derek

Nice. well done. I am getting ready to do mine so this has been a big help. I have a Herz free standing sub so I will not need an enclosure but the problem is that it is a 12". 8s are soooo tight. Did you change your head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by 323TOZHP View Post
    Nice. well done. I am getting ready to do mine so this has been a big help. I have a Herz free standing sub so I will not need an enclosure but the problem is that it is a 12". 8s are soooo tight. Did you change your head unit?
    No I kept the stock head unit. I never found an aftermarket one that I thought looked good. However I wish I had more integrated functionality with bluetooth, ipod, etc so I might rethink that. I guess I could go the Dynavin route.

What is your plan for mounting your sub?

Quote Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
    No I kept the stock head unit. I never found an aftermarket one that I thought looked good. However I wish I had more integrated functionality with bluetooth, ipod, etc so I might rethink that. I guess I could go the Dynavin route.

What is your plan for mounting your sub?
    Well it is a very odd driver. From what I read it does not need an enclosure so I was thinking about cutting a hole out of the ski pass and mounting it there. It should take up minimal trunk space. But I am confused as to whether to mount it from the front or back. It quite possibly could be one of the best solutions for an E46. I did not know much about the company before I bought it. I am going back and forth about which head unit to put in. I had a Pioneer in my last car and it was VERY convenient to get in the car and have the iphone sync with the stereo over bluetooth and start playing music where it left off. Their new double din units have the app mode however $150 for a mount kit and $150 for the facia is kind of scary. But it would certainly bring the car up to date.

The coupes only have about an 8" pass thru width where I think the sedans are more like 10" so I was limited in my selection.

My only issue with doing a double din unit is that you have to cut some stuff in the dash to get it to fit. I guess I should look into those again though as an option. I think I'm over my fear of hacking up my car now :-)

Very impressive.

I really like how you fit everything in the stock amp location. Definitely what I would want to do if I re-do my system.
    ~Will
    2004 Imola Red 330i
    6MT, Black Leather, Silver Cube, Cold Weather pkg, mostly Stock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123