Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspension clunk/knock, possibly RTAB failure?

So, last week I started hearing a clunk/knock noise from the right rear of the car.

Put the car up in the air to do a visual inspection. I was worried that I had a subframe failure. I poked around and everything seemed OK.

I took a rubber mallet and started tapping on various suspension bits, everything seemed solid and in place.

I then checked all the various nuts and bolts to make sure everything was tight. The worst I found were the upper shock mounts in the trunk. I got maybe a half turn out of the 2 12mm nuts.

At that point I was stumped. I proceeded to recruit my wife to hang her head out the back window to look at the right rear wheel to see if there was any movement.

As we were driving down the road, she felt a knocking through the rear seat, specifically very close to the door itself. Coincidentally, that is exactly where the RTAB mounts.

So, what is the possibility that my RTAB has just complete torn? When I was under the car, I could pry the trailing arm from side to side, but it didnt seem any worse than the driver's side.

What could I use to try and shim the trailing arm in place temporarily to see if the noise goes away?
    2004 Sedan | Imola | Black Leather | Black Cube

BUMP^^Hey guys, this is a fellow Atlanta ZHP member, and a new one. Anyone that has some additional knowledge that may help Justin, please be forthcoming. I hate that he is having such a problem in the early part of his recent ownership of such an amazing car. Once I can get myself to see the car in person I will do what I can, but my time has been strained.
    Brett- Atlanta, GA

03' Imolarot ZHP Sedan/Black Alcantara interior, Depo led taillights & corner lights, TurnerMotorsport E46 M3 Tracksport coilover suspension, Replica GruppeM intake, 3.38 diff.

" Strive for Perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." - Sir Nancy Royce, co-founder of Rolls Royce

I am no help but perhaps knowing more about the driving conditions necessary to replicate the noise would help. Is it happening while accelerating, braking or turning or going over bumps or just decelerating?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I am no help but perhaps knowing more about the driving conditions necessary to replicate the noise would help. Is it happening while accelerating, braking or turning or going over bumps or just decelerating?
    Happens all the time. Most prevalent over bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by wrigleybm3 View Post
    BUMP^^Hey guys, this is a fellow Atlanta ZHP member, and a new one. Anyone that has some additional knowledge that may help Justin, please be forthcoming. I hate that he is having such a problem in the early part of his recent ownership of such an amazing car. Once I can get myself to see the car in person I will do what I can, but my time has been strained.
    Also, this guy, stand-up dude. I havent even met him face to face yet!

Right now I have a knock when I reverse and hit the brakes. One solid thunk. Its not anything moving in the trunk. Also happens if I blip a downshift and lurch forward quickly.
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Than that means it's not the brakes. Probably rear bushing/suspension related

So, it turned out to be a blown shock.

Good hunting! How many miles? original shock?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Good hunting! How many miles? original shock?
    BC Coilovers, 16k miles on the shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast