Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    PM headed your way, Bruce.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

So what do we know about the Shark? What exactly does it do to timing/fuel mixture/etc... in order to increase power? Also, does it increase power, or does it increase throttle response (or both)?
    - Marc

Marc, I think this was an informative threads on the Shark. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ctor-Installed

Read the thread and any FAQs I could find. Still a mystery as to how the power is found. Maybe I'm the minority, but I'm interested in the "how" as much as the "what" of these gains.
    - Marc

Simplest terms: the AFR is lowered and the VANOS timing is adjusted. Typically, a production car is let off the line with an AFR of about 14.7:1. The Shark Injector leans that ratio out so more air is in the chamber at the time of combustion. It is adaptable to mods and if you add a CAI or something to that nature, it will run even leaner for a bit till it finds the balance of the new setting. I'm not sure what that ratio is, however. The VANOS is a whole other mystery. VANOS is variable to +/- 6 degrees of advancement or retardation of the Camshafts; JC's Shark Injector somehow alters the stock setting so that with the 500/200 rpm increase, the engine can make the most of what it's got. With the DBW throttle, I'm sure there is a slight increase of response to that as well.

Hope I was of help
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

So let's say I like to drive on the track - is leaning out the mixture a safe thing to do?
    - Marc

From some digging I was doing:

It has been dyno-tested to provide a safe increase in power by altering fuel enrichment, cam timing and ignition timing specifically for use with premium gasoline. Not only is part-throttle fuel and spark re-mapped, other areas of chips other tuners don't touch are re-mapped - such as acceleration enrichment, transition fueling, how the car responds to rapid change in pedal, and VANOS control as needed to optimize the vehicle for operation on premium fuel
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Start with headers and a Euro2 DME flash. Shark will still be present after the Tune, I believe.
    No, it'll overwrite the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    No, it'll overwrite the shark.
    Unfortunate for Keith

Spencer, are you aware if the same is true for the opposite?

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    So let's say I like to drive on the track - is leaning out the mixture a safe thing to do?
    I wouldn't see why not; as long as you're running high enough octane (92+), leaning shouldn't hurt.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast