PDA

View Full Version : Dario's OB ZHP Revival

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Reckless
12-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Perhaps I should change it. I hate playing the guessing game. Throwing parts at the car without knowing what the exact problem is. :(

EDIT: Researching CPS symptoms... that's not what I am experiencing. I think I'll dig into the fuel filter tomorrow.

EDIT #2: Looks like the fuel filter is a bit more of a job than I thought it was. I'll dig into it later, lol.

If you have not solved the problem yet, I would suggest the fuel filter. I have been going through the same problems you have and trying to narrow the rough idle/lean codes. After the cleaning/replacing/rebuilding of everything on the intake side, I started digging into the fuel delivery system. At near 100k I figured the filter was going to be the cause of a no-start one day at work, so I replaced the filter and the fuel pump with new plugs. Start is better, but not fixed. Next, onto the VCG and VANOS.

Brian

Avetiso
12-27-2013, 11:33 AM
If you have not solved the problem yet, I would suggest the fuel filter. I have been going through the same problems you have and trying to narrow the rough idle/lean codes. After the cleaning/replacing/rebuilding of everything on the intake side, I started digging into the fuel delivery system. At near 100k I figured the filter was going to be the cause of a no-start one day at work, so I replaced the filter and the fuel pump with new plugs. Start is better, but not fixed. Next, onto the VCG and VANOS.

Brian
Ha, you are going backwards the way I went. I just did VCG, VANOS, new plugs, new OFHG, and new VANOS oil line. It helped, but the problem returned, as did my 3k stuttering.

I'm hesitant to think it's the fuel filter. If my filter was clogged, I'd have issues with delivery across the whole RPM range, wouldn't I? I have no issues with fuel flow at any point in the RPM range, but my car still dies sometimes. I'm stumped. Sometimes it will consistently drop to 500 rpm at idle, return to 700, drop, return, drop, etc, then it stalls out.

Reckless
12-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Think about fuel pulse. I data log monthly so I am able to track and log my pulse; providing evidence that at idle, when you injectors are pulsing the least amount of fuel, the more noticeable the restraint of fuel delivery. I.e. 500-700 rpm bouncing.

Once you start accelerating the injectors require more fuel and the pump will pump more fuel, less noticeable across the rpm band. Once the fuel filter is struggling to pass gas (haha) it will start wearing on the fuel pump and that's when I got the no start symptom.

The strange thing is I still have the 500-700 bounce, but only at cold start, once it's warmed up no problems(no 3k stutter either) I was thinking vcg/vanos but still have original ccv and maf that are possibilities. I've just given up and fully expect I will replace everything and just call it pm to make myself feel better. (I also hate throwing parts at problems, but I'm a year in and have learned a ton about this car.) subscribed for update.

Hochspannung
12-29-2013, 11:30 AM
It's actually a rust perforation warranty. I'm shocked they fixed that rust for you on the Mini if it wasn't through the metal.
If I remember correctly, the coverage was up to 6 years/unlimited miles up to 2003 and 12 years/unlimited from then on. The rust must have eaten a hole through the metal though for BMW to cover it, so for surface rust, you're SOL.

sorry for late reply.... anyway.

There was surface rust under both taillights where water collects and sits there in the housing. There was also surface rust above the grab handle where the license plate lights are. I took off the grab handle and you could see that the metal had completely rusted through underneath handle. So I guess what you say is correct, but they did fix all the areas that needed attention.

Avetiso
12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
OFH is leaking again. WTF? Also looks like my new VANOS line is seeping. Going to have to go in and retorque, I think. :(

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

cakM3
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
It's always something isn't it Dario....just when you think you have everything sorted....sounds like your ZHP wants more love from you ;)

Vas
12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
What did you torque it too ?

Avetiso
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
What did you torque it too ?

30lbs. More than enough.

Should have used rtv.

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

Vas
12-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Then you are doing it wrong lol.

That should not be leaking.

Avetiso
12-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Then you are doing it wrong lol.

That should not be leaking.

It's extremely light. I'll keep an eye on it.

I've googled around, and a few people have had this happen. Usually fixed by retorque.

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

Vas
12-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah either that or pull it apart and put rtv on the flat surface.

Johal E32
12-30-2013, 07:13 PM
id do the fuel filter its cheap and easy, good maintenance item too!

Avetiso
12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
I'll do the filter when I can.

Tomorrow, I will probably inspect a little deeper.

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 12:51 AM
OFHG is still seeping after repair. Damn. Looks like I'll have to go back in and reseat the gasket, and I'll use RTV on round two. Anyone have the seeping disappear after a bit? Torque is even all the way around, so it's not that...

Also, I'm keeping an eye out for some mint carpeting for my interior. The carpeting I got is just... nasty. I'd like to replace it (again) if I can get my hands on a mint set.

kayger12
01-07-2014, 02:38 AM
Are you sure it's seeping? If you didn't clean the block well after you did the ofhg and then you add in the wd-40 that you sprayed when you cleaned up the engine bay that could give you oil runoff on the side of the block for a while.

When I did the ofhg on my 325 I didn't have time to clean the block other than some quick work with brake cleaner (like you, iirc). I thought it was still leaking but it ended up just being the mess of oil working itself off the block.

As long as you're confident that you had a clean mating surface before you reinstalled I'd give it some time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 03:03 AM
Are you sure it's seeping? If you didn't clean the block well after you did the ofhg and then you add in the wd-40 that you sprayed when you cleaned up the engine bay that could give you oil runoff on the side of the block for a while.

When I did the ofhg on my 325 I didn't have time to clean the block other than some quick work with brake cleaner (like you, iirc). I thought it was still leaking but it ended up just being the mess of oil working itself off the block.

As long as you're confident that you had a clean mating surface before you reinstalled I'd give it some time.

The surface was spotless. I cleaned the block fairly well, but it's wasn't super clean by any standard. I'll see what happens in the next 1000 miles or so.

kayger12
01-07-2014, 03:14 AM
I think it's just residual then.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 03:15 AM
I think it's just residual then.

Sure hope so. It's not a fun job. My back was killing me by the time I was done.

kayger12
01-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Agreed. That's why I like the call of giving it some time.

It would suck to go through all that again if it's ultimately ok.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
So... VMR has a new wheel... V810. Damn, they are pretty.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Vas
01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
I like them but at the same time I do not.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I like them but at the same time I do not.

I love them. They look slightly similar to CH, which I also love. BBS is outta my range, though.

ELCID86
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I like em.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903922

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

Vas
01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Yeah see that is my gripe. I don't support companies that do knockoffs.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 03:35 PM

But they aren't reps. I just like them because they look similar, slightly.

kayger12
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I like em as well. Wish I could get over the 135s...

PirateZHP
01-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Fffuuuu... those wheels are beautiful!

Vas
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
I thought they were replicas of hre.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I like em as well. Wish I could get over the 135s...
If my 135's were mint, I wouldn't switch, but the PO destroyed these. All 4 wheels have major rash. With what it would cost to refinish, plus their base value, I'd rather switch instead of working with these. I love the look of the 135's, but I also love other wheels.

It's a tough choice.

Fffuuuu... those wheels are beautiful!
I think so, too. It's the style I've been waiting for.

I thought they were replicas of hre.
Oh. I'm not sure about that, I thought you meant they were reps of CH. I don't know if they are HRE reps.

derbo
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

I said so too but BBS doesn't make an RC anymore and it was a bitch-half to search for a correct 17' version so I gave up and went APEX.

Hermes
01-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Did you get the light bulbs I sent you? I have them to my buddy to send to you but forgot to see if they arrived

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Did you get the light bulbs I sent you? I have them to my buddy to send to you but forgot to see if they arrived

My bad. I did get them, thank you.

Hermes
01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
No problem, I know with Christmas and New Years I've been busy and forgot. I was just thinking about it

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 01:17 AM
No problem, I know with Christmas and New Years I've been busy and forgot. I was just thinking about it
Thanks for following through. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my intermittent no-fire problem. Swapped around 3 different ballasts, still having issues firing both headlights; passenger is worse than driver and usually fires 15-30 seconds after driver.

It's not ballasts, because swapping multiple ballasts didn't fix the issue.
Not the igniters, else the problem would have been tracable, and what are the odds that both headlights start acting up, within a few hundred miles of eachother? Igniters aren't the type of wear item to do so.
Not the bulbs.
Not the wiring.

I'm stumped. I get a feeling LCM might be weird, because all the buttons are sticky, making me believe its been exposed to moisture a lot.

Hermes
01-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Didn't this car have a LCM fire?

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Didn't this car have a LCM fire?
Yes. All the wiring has been soldered back correctly (it's all color coded except for a few duplicates... practically stupid proof). I've done some research and I have found a few more LCM fires across E46F and bf.c, but it was usually on pre-facelifts. I'm not sure it's the wiring that I fixed because it worked perfect for the last three months. Only guess I really have is the LCM. I'm 200 miles away from being able to swap in the one BP coded for me (it's set for 73,500).

Hermes
01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
drive to tahoe and back?

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 02:04 PM
drive to tahoe and back?

Haha, nah. When I start getting close I'll just GI for a drive and hit it that way.

Any ideas on my light problem?

Hermes
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
It's gotta be the LCM if you've tried everything else. I honestly can't see anything else that could be causing the issue if youve swapped everything around and the problem persists. Have you tried cleaning up the contacts in the LCM? Maybe a connection that needs to be re-soldered?

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
It's gotta be the LCM if you've tried everything else. I honestly can't see anything else that could be causing the issue if youve swapped everything around and the problem persists. Have you tried cleaning up the contacts in the LCM? Maybe a connection that needs to be re-soldered?

I sure hope it's not a bad solder. That would be a pain, but again, the problem exists for both headlights sometimes. What are the odds both xenon solders broke?

I'm thinking LCM, too.

Hermes
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
no, i'm saying a solder within the LCM. GM5 go bad all the time, maybe this LCM went bad too

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
no, i'm saying a solder within the LCM. GM5 go bad all the time, maybe this LCM went bad too

Ooooh, then that's definitely a possibility. I thought you meant my solders.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Can anyone verify that this is the correct fuel filter for my car? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UZGCNC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

derbo
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Looks correct.

ELCID86
01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Looks to be correct.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks. Going to order new fuel, oil, and cabin filters.

derbo
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Have you tried swapping ignitors?

I have a spare LCM but it will have tamper dot since I don't have PA soft reset it.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 06:07 PM

I have a spare LCM but it will have tamper dot since I don't have PA soft reset it.
I have a replacement LCM already.

I haven't tried replacing the ignitors, but I'm not sure they're at fault, considering their inconsistency of the problem. If it's not the LCM, though, that's where I'l' be looking next. I didn't see an easy way to replace them. How do you take them out without taking the entire housing apart?

derbo
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I have a replacement LCM already.

I haven't tried replacing the ignitors, but I'm not sure they're at fault, considering their inconsistency of the problem. If it's not the LCM, though, that's where I'l' be looking next. I didn't see an easy way to replace them. How do you take them out without taking the entire housing apart?

You can't. I removed the headlights then took it apart. I had to remove the projectors to access the torx screws below it. (AL projectors).

I had an intermittent start-up for my driver side that was solved with the ignitor replacement. I'm not sure how coincidental it is to have two ignitors go bad together so I'm not sure its the solution.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 06:19 PM
You can't. I removed the headlights then took it apart. I had to remove the projectors to access the torx screws below it. (AL projectors).

I had an intermittent start-up for my driver side that was solved with the ignitor replacement. I'm not sure how coincidental it is to have two ignitors go bad together so I'm not sure its the solution.
Crap. That blows. I'll try the LCM first, then.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Ordered new fuel, cabin, and oil filter from Amazon, as well as a magnetic oil drain bolt. I get the feeling my fuel filter is destroyed.

derbo
01-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Good luck man.

I got lucky with mine being the ignitor. Its not hard to take apart the headlights. It's alot easier on the sedan than the coupes mainly because of the glue.

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Good luck man.

I got lucky with mine being the ignitor. Its not hard to take apart the headlights. It's alot easier on the sedan than the coupes mainly because of the glue.
If it is the ignitor, at least I'll have a reason to upgrade my lenses to ZKW, and maybe modify my reflector shielding. Gotta make good of the bad, lol.

Hermes
01-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Good luck man.

Ignitor is easy on coupes, it's accessible when you pull the cover off to change bulbs. Ballast on the other hand is bolted to the bottom of the headlights so you have to remove the housing from the car to access those

derbo
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Oops I I was under the impression that it was similar to the coup and underneath the projectors

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Hermes
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
No biggie, I didn't think you had experience with them. I guess coupe lights do have an advantage in one aspect LOL

Avetiso
01-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Went scavenging on E46F yesterday. Found somebody interested in buying a stock 330i exhaust (which I have), someone selling brand new, black B pillar covers for $80 shipped (which I need), and I am second in line for OEM RCR tail set which is missing the outer right piece for $100 + shipping (which I want). I'll order the last piece from the UK, if anything.

E46F aint so bad... :rofl

derbo
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
No biggie, I didn't think you had experience with them. I guess coupe lights do have an advantage in one aspect LOL

I guess you are right there. :P It makes the sedan headlights look hard (minus taking off the lense)

Avetiso
01-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, pretty sure it's not the ignitors, because my problem inverted today. Now, passenger side fires fine, driver side with difficulty.

Fuel filter DIY tomorrow.

iya_e46
01-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Whoa! You're doing a great job with this car.

Avetiso
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Whoa! You're doing a great job with this car.
Thanks, buddy!

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Replaced my fuel and cabin air filters. Car runs smoother, but idle still jumpy.

Also, got a logo for my wheel from tlandreth. Thanks! Had to trim a bit, but it fits.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/11/vutana9y.jpg

johnrando
01-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Cool. Is your car dirty... they usually run better after a wash too. :biggrin

derbo
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Well, pretty sure it's not the ignitors, because my problem inverted today. Now, passenger side fires fine, driver side with difficulty.

Fuel filter DIY tomorrow.

Well there you go. hopefully you resolve it soon.

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Cool. Is your car dirty... they usually run better after a wash too. :biggrin
How'd you know it was dirty? Have you gone back to working for the NSA? :rofl

Well there you go. hopefully you resolve it soon.
I hope so.

derbo
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
You already tried the LCM already?

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
You already tried the LCM already?
No. It's coded to 73,500 miles, and I'm at 73,280-ish miles. I'll wait for my mileage to match to swap.

az3579
01-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Send the LCM to me and I could take care if it for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Vas
01-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Is your steering wheel trim wrapped with vinyl? Hard to tell in that picture.

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Is your steering wheel trim wrapped with vinyl? Hard to tell in that picture.
It is. My trim was peeling, and this is a much cheaper option. There are some slight imperfections, but only when looking for them.

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
So, I had some highway time just now. Fuel filter helped, for sure. Car idles smoother and starts softer (not sure why, but I noticed it), but it did nothing for my 3k bogging. Next up: DME flash. Cable should be coming in any day now from Romania. Just need to find a dedicated laptop.

az3579
01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Just need to find a dedicated laptop.

I'll be selling one soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Lanister
01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
So, I had some highway time just now. Fuel filter helped, for sure. Car idles smoother and starts softer (not sure why, but I noticed it), but it did nothing for my 3k bogging. Next up: DME flash. Cable should be coming in any day now from Romania. Just need to find a dedicated laptop.

Good call on the dedicated laptop. The software you get with it locks onto the laptop so it's a pain to move it to another device later on. But if you email the seller, he can do it for you by issuing a new registration code.

Avetiso
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I'll be selling one soon. Let me know if you're interested.

Pm the details.

az3579
01-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Good call on the dedicated laptop. The software you get with it locks onto the laptop so it's a pain to move it to another device later on. But if you email the seller, he can do it for you by issuing a new registration code.

Registration code for what??

Avetiso
01-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Seller bundles out all the BMW software into one package with registration.

I don't care for it, considering it's free everywhere else.

Lanister
01-12-2014, 02:16 AM

To make all that software run with the least amount of setup, he seller set it all up to run through a virtual machine. As such, it needs VMware to run, which comes with the software package. I believe you get the registration code for VMware but it masks itself like it is for the whole suite of applications because you're asked to enter the registration code at the beginning of the installation.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
To make all that software run with the least amount of setup, he seller set it all up to run through a virtual machine. As such, it needs VMware to run, which comes with the software package. I believe you get the registration code for VMware but it masks itself like it is for the whole suite of applications because you're asked to enter the registration code at the beginning of the installation.
So, does that mean I can run it on Win7 x64? I'm assuming that the actual process is going on in the VM, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Riiiiiiight?

derbo
01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Registration code? I dont understand. Anyways, I would just make a clone image of the HD and move it to a new laptop if that was the need.

Either way, it should run on win7x64. I am running it with Macbook Pro and Win7x86 virtual machine in OSX.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Registration code? I dont understand. Anyways, I would just make a clone image of the HD and move it to a new laptop if that was the need.

Either way, it should run on win7x64. I am running it with Macbook Pro and Win7x86 virtual machine in OSX.

The listing says it works in x64. I guess I'll try.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 06:49 PM
I dedicated to buying OEM RCR from a guy on E46. I guess I'm going clear.

derbo
01-12-2014, 06:51 PM
What pieces are you missing?

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
What pieces are you missing?
It's missing the right, outer piece. It has both trunk lights and the left outer light. I'll order the right outer light from the UK. Paying $100 for those three. I've seen them on eBayUK for around $50 shipped.

Still need to find fronts and sides.

alexandre
01-12-2014, 06:58 PM

The guy wrote a piece of software that sets up everything for you in one click, and he wants you to only be able to use it if you actually bought from him. This is new as of March 2013 ish I think.

As for the VM Dario, you have several - one with SSS only, one with DIS only. You need to set up drivers and stuff on your main computer to be able to use those. If you were to run everything in a VM as I and Derek do, you'd have a VM starting in a VM for DIS and SSS.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
The guy wrote a piece of software that sets up everything for you in one click, and he wants you to only be able to use it if you actually bought from him. This is new as of March 2013 ish I think.

As for the VM Dario, you have several - one with SSS only, one with DIS only. You need to set up drivers and stuff on your main computer to be able to use those. If you were to run everything in a VM as I and Derek do, you'd have a VM starting in a VM for DIS and SSS.
Does WinKFP run in VM? That's what I'm worried about, essentially. Will WinKFP run through his software have any issues on a Win7 x64 machine?

alexandre
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Does WinKFP run in VM? That's what I'm worried about, essentially. Will WinKFP run through his software have any issues on a Win7 x64 machine?

INPA, WinKFP and NCS Expert all run natively, no need for a VM (I actually haven't even touched SSS and DIS because of my setup). Whether they run on x64 or not I'm not sure, but the guy seems to say they will so I'm sure they will. If you have issues, just get virtualbox and set up a windows XP x86 VM and you'll be on your way.

derbo
01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
x64 should work. I think you just need different USB drivers and thats about it.

VM is only required for DIS or SSS like alex said.

az3579
01-13-2014, 04:59 AM

So he essentially wrapped it up in a pretty package and charges money for it. To me, this is a massive ripoff, but whatever. Good for him if he can get away with it.

So, does that mean I can run it on Win7 x64? I'm assuming that the actual process is going on in the VM, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Riiiiiiight?

Everything I'm about to say is from prior experience.
The EDIABAS service doesn't run with a x64 host OS, at the very least on the two machines I have it doesn't. The drivers install just fine, it's the service that refuses to launch. To get the core software working (INPA+EDIABAS, NCS Expert, etc.) you must have the EDIABAS service running. So, if it won't run, those programs won't work. You could run these items inside a 32-bit guest OS in VMware, but then you run into the issue of not being able to easily use SSS and DIS. VMs don't work too well within VMs in general. I've experienced numerous bugs and constant VM reboots to get stuff to work temporarily, not to mention the requirement for an excessive amount of RAM to even attempt doing this. Just to run some basic VMs you're looking at a minimum of 4GB of RAM if you're using Windows 7, and even with 4GB your machine will crawl while the VMs are running, because Windows itself uses up a significant amount. Also, I think for these two VMs, the Ifhsrv32 service must be running as well, and I believe (I could be wrong) that this feeds off the EDIABAS service.

On my Macbook Pro, i have been unable to get DIS and SSS running because of the VM within a VM limitation(s). I finally got a dedicated laptop to running a Windows 7 32-bit setup that hosts all of the necessary VMs, so I don't need to worry about not being able to run something.

az3579
01-13-2014, 05:02 AM
INPA, WinKFP and NCS Expert all run natively, no need for a VM (I actually haven't even touched SSS and DIS because of my setup). Whether they run on x64 or not I'm not sure, but the guy seems to say they will so I'm sure they will. If you have issues, just get virtualbox and set up a windows XP x86 VM and you'll be on your way.

Also, I'm not sure if VirtualBox will work; I remember trying and was unsuccessful. I think it has something to do with being able to set the private network IPs. I'll check once I get to work since I have VirtualBox on my work PC.

Avetiso
01-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I'll just find Win7 x86 and install it onto my laptop. Not worth risking a failure/brick during the flash.

derbo
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
You will know it wont work when you can't see the car. By the time you are at the programming stage, computer should be communicating just fine.

Honestly I think x64 will work. If your laptop has more than 4GB there is no reason to get x86.

Lanister
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
+1

derbo
01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
So he essentially wrapped it up in a pretty package and charges money for it. To me, this is a massive ripoff, but whatever. Good for him if he can get away with it.

Everything I'm about to say is from prior experience.
The EDIABAS service doesn't run with a x64 host OS, at the very least on the two machines I have it doesn't. The drivers install just fine, it's the service that refuses to launch. To get the core software working (INPA+EDIABAS, NCS Expert, etc.) you must have the EDIABAS service running. So, if it won't run, those programs won't work. You could run these items inside a 32-bit guest OS in VMware, but then you run into the issue of not being able to easily use SSS and DIS. VMs don't work too well within VMs in general. I've experienced numerous bugs and constant VM reboots to get stuff to work temporarily, not to mention the requirement for an excessive amount of RAM to even attempt doing this. Just to run some basic VMs you're looking at a minimum of 4GB of RAM if you're using Windows 7, and even with 4GB your machine will crawl while the VMs are running, because Windows itself uses up a significant amount. Also, I think for these two VMs, the Ifhsrv32 service must be running as well, and I believe (I could be wrong) that this feeds off the EDIABAS service.

On my Macbook Pro, i have been unable to get DIS and SSS running because of the VM within a VM limitation(s). I finally got a dedicated laptop to running a Windows 7 32-bit setup that hosts all of the necessary VMs, so I don't need to worry about not being able to run something.

BP i manage to get the DIS to run in a VMware workstation 9 in Win7 x86 in a Parallels 9 VM in OSX 10.9. LOL I feel the need for SSS is minimal after you learn how to use INPA and NCSexpert because they are able to do all the things SSS can do.

az3579
01-14-2014, 07:26 PM
^ I was using VMware Fusion. I despise Parallels.
SSS is very useful for certain functions.

Anyway, we need to get back on topic here; we're cluttering up Dario's thread.

Avetiso
01-15-2014, 04:45 PM

It's no problem at all. This was a topic I brought up, so it's on-topic in my eyes.

I'll give it a try in x64 and will see if it communicates with the DME. If not, I have x86 laying around somewhere that I'll partition and install.

Thanks for all the info, fellas. :thumbsup

derbo
01-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Did you manage to get VMware to work with DIS?

Lanister
01-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm running my software on an x64. No prob.

Avetiso
01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Got my cable. Will try flashing this evening, hopefully.

ELCID86
01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Hope it goes well. Phone a friend is an option!

Avetiso
01-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Hope it goes well. Phone a friend is an option!

That's what I've been doing, lol. Set up is complicated, so BP is lending me his laptop

derbo
01-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Setup isn't too bad! Did you get it to work?

Avetiso
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Setup isn't too bad! Did you get it to work?

No. The software package he sent just didn't work. Tried multiple times.

Avetiso
01-20-2014, 12:33 AM
Dropped payment for the 3 piece of clears off E46F. $115 shipped for the first three pieces, $65 shipped for the last piece from the UK. The last piece is described as "VERY good condition."

So, $180 for the rear tails. Not bad, IMO. I know Vas found a set that he recleared for $100, but I'm still content with this.

Now I just need to find some OEM sides and corners. Anyone got a lead?

If I can pick up some decent units, I should be able a must a full OEM clears upgrade for about $260. Pretty good, I think.

Vas
01-20-2014, 04:45 AM
Good luck finding a set of fronts.

I'm probably just going to buy a new set.

alexandre
01-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Fronts are $45 a side on ECS, sides $20. It's the rears that are expensive, but you got that covered.

iP4S + TT2

Avetiso
01-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I have some threads up. If I don't find anything in a week, I'll order new ones.

derbo
01-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Brand new is the way to go :)

Avetiso
01-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Brand new is the way to go :)

Hah, yeah, that's true. But, I try to save money wherever I can. Still a student. :(

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Found out my rear right shock is blown. In fact, the entire suspension on my car is beat. I need to refresh ASAP, but Broadway Statics are outta my range unless I can find used set.

Vas
01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Even a used set of Broadway coilovers is expensive.

Is the shock leaking?

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Even a used set of Broadway coilovers is expensive.

Is the shock leaking?
I didn't look for a leak, but my rear right is like 3x easier to push down then rear left.\

I saw a used set of statics going for $1300. 16kg/18kg. If I could get him down to $1200 shipped, might be worth it. I really want adjustability. I don't want to risk a cup kit with how many stories there are about weird drops and inconsistencies.

Vas
01-21-2014, 04:43 PM
A new of broadway is $1400 last time I got a quote from them.

I would look at the shock body and see if it is wet.

Johal E32
01-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Dude, ST COILS! KW v1's but with a diff body.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0l/Suspension/Coilovers/ES2225898/

I have driven a car with ST's and its amazing, loose the front helper springs and you can slam the car.

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Dude, ST COILS! KW v1's but with a diff body.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0l/Suspension/Coilovers/ES2225898/

I have driven a car with ST's and its amazing, loose the front helper springs and you can slam the car.
Not really interested in slamming the car, but I have had my eyes on those coils. ST looks like a great value. I'd still see if I could reach a bit higher with a used set for a few hundred bucks more, though.

I'm keeping my options open, for now.

Pip
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
I have STs in the M and they are definitely more comfortable than the Eibach coils I had in the Z.

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I have STs in the M and they are definitely more comfortable than the Eibach coils I had in the Z.
I've heard a lot of great things about ST. Very tempting.

Johal E32
01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Of course with coils, any ride height is achievable.

With broadway static, I hear swift springs are the way to go with them. Otherwise for around 1 grand, ST is the best quality you can get. BC racing seems okay, good reviews and all. But the brand is not as reputable as ST which is backed by KW who has been doing BMW suspensions for a long time.

A used set of Bilstein pss coils may pop up, those are nice too.

Avetiso
01-21-2014, 06:56 PM

With broadway static, I hear swift springs are the way to go with them. Otherwise for around 1 grand, ST is the best quality you can get. BC racing seems okay, good reviews and all. But the brand is not as reputable as ST which is backed by KW who has been doing BMW suspensions for a long time.

Bilstein's price isn't bad, either. About $100 more. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for good deals at the moment.

derbo
01-21-2014, 08:06 PM
My 448lb/560lb swift springs feel softer than my eibach (ground control coil overs) 375/415 springs when driving around on the streets. But it is stiffer during the track days :D

cakM3
01-22-2014, 08:46 AM

Both ST and BC coils go for around the same price. iirc ST coils have a better warranty on their shocks. The BC coils come with camber plates for more adjustment. I went with BC coils and have not had any issues running them on the ///M or my ZHP. I like the fact that I have camber plates all for under $1k for my setup...

derbo
01-22-2014, 09:20 AM
In reference, the Ground Control setup I have was $18xx...

Pip
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Both ST and BC coils go for around the same price. iirc ST coils have a better warranty on their shocks. The BC coils come with camber plates for more adjustment. I went with BC coils and have not had any issues running them on the ///M or my ZHP. I like the fact that I have camber plates all for under $1k for my setup...

I like that too. Any use for a daily/non track car?

derbo
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
You can dial in more camber in the front and it would be easier to adjust perfect camber on both sides. :D

Avetiso
01-23-2014, 03:36 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/ute5a9ev.jpg

QC_ZHP
01-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Those look so good. Tempted to make the change

Vas
01-23-2014, 05:36 PM
I love mine.

QC_ZHP
01-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I like clear taillights better, I just prefer amber up front. I've seen a few people run the mixed setup but I'm still indifferent on the idea.

Vas
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I am running a mix set-up right now. Not the biggest fan of it.

Avetiso
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Those look so good. Tempted to make the change
I'll have plenty of pictures to help you decide. :thumbsup

I love mine.
I love yours.

I like clear taillights better, I just prefer amber up front. I've seen a few people run the mixed setup but I'm still indifferent on the idea.
I agree about the front. Difficult to decide, and I won't be splitting the front and rear with different colors.

Running amber bulbs might leave enough orange to satisfy the amber army.

az3579
01-23-2014, 05:49 PM

All or nothing, my friend.

Running amber bulbs might leave enough orange to satisfy the amber army.

Amber army members wouldn't switch so this is a non-issue. Lol

ELCID86
01-23-2014, 05:51 PM

+1

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Avetiso
01-23-2014, 05:53 PM

+1

I hope that one day, you can forgive me. :rofl

az3579
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Forgive you for what? I run clears. Lol

Avetiso
01-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Forgive you for what? I run clears. Lol

:facepalm I'm glad to join the ranks, then!

az3579
01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
:facepalm I'm glad to join the ranks, then!

You bought OEM. You're in an entirely different class. Welcome to THAT class!

We put in a lot of work to get OEMs. OEM army unite! :biggrin

(Maybe we're the crazy ones lol)

Avetiso
01-23-2014, 06:08 PM
You bought OEM. You're in an entirely different class. Welcome to THAT class!

We put in a lot of work to get OEMs. OEM army unite! :biggrin

(Maybe we're the crazy ones lol)

Possibly. :shifty I wouldn't deny it if you called me crazy. People make fun of the money I spend on my car enough as it is...

I hope my last piece from the UK gets here in a timely fashion.

Avetiso
01-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Last piece of the clears came in. Need a slight sand and polish, but besides that, awesome. Will install tonight.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 12:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/aqu7y9a5.jpg

ELCID86
01-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Very nice Dario.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 12:16 PM
The piece I got from the UK. You can see the chrome finish coming off.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/su5y6avy.jpg

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Very nice Dario.

Thanks!

Vas
01-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Much better

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Much better

Thanks! Gonna go through a touch free wash before the meet tonight.

PirateZHP
01-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Clears look good, Dario.

derbo
01-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Looks great Dario

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Clears look good, Dario.

Looks great Dario
Thanks, guise.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 02:08 PM

derbo
01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
damn if i only had extra cash to get those Turner clears..

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Sale gonna end soon. Get on it! I'd recommend new! The UK piece I got was a bit of a let down with all the chrome peeling on the inside, but it's not so bad. I'd prefer for it to be new, though.

az3579
01-25-2014, 04:30 PM

Check your PM.

Avetiso
01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Just spent $320 at thebmwpartstore. I blame you, ZHP Mafia. My dad is gonna give me a lecture if he finds out! (even though it's my money :rofl)

Notable items:

ZHP knob
Intake boots and hardware
Euro tray
Third brake light cover
///M dead pedal
New mirror switch (mine has been operating my mirrors upon unlock)

And some random bits, clips, plastics, trims, etc...

BTW, screw ECS Tuning's pricing on clips! They are like $0.99 each no matter what, whereas I picked them up for like $0.30-$0.40 each. WTF.

ZHP knob was $7 cheaper, as well. ECS is great for looking up parts, but I'd use RealOEM if it wasn't for that, so w/e.

derbo
01-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Check your PM.

Thanks BP, I'm not that serious on getting it... Thanks for the offer though!

Sent from my iPad

Avetiso
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Ordered Nokya 2500k lights for high beams and fogs. I don't really need the extra output, so I decided against xenon lighting for the fogs.

QC_ZHP
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Sick, can't wait to see them

derbo
01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
yellow high beams aye? Definitely adds some color that Trifecta!

Avetiso
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Sick, can't wait to see them
Me too. I have so much crap coming in this week, I'm itching.

yellow high beams aye? Definitely adds some color that Trifecta!
That's the plan! I'll get pics, of course.

Avetiso
01-29-2014, 06:53 PM
:( I missed an email from Sean over at thebmwpartstore asking to confirm that I need black trims (because my VIN says gray interior), so the majority of my ordered stuff hasn't shipped. I was hoping to get the stuff tomorrow or Friday... looks like it'll only be shipping out tomorrow.

Kinda nice that they verified the VIN, though. Very thoughtful of them.

Avetiso
01-30-2014, 09:00 PM
25,000 views on this thread. :shifty

Anyway, today, I replaced my PS reservoir and turkey basted the fluid two times. I'm so happy I did. The fluid was extremely dirty and it had a thick stench to it. I'll be flushing it a 5 or 6 more times in the coming days. I also installed my Nokya 2500k bulbs into the high beams and fogs. I love the look, however, it's not all that much yellower than stock bulbs. You'll see the pictures.

I also reverted to the OEM airbox and reset my adaptations. A good way to spend the evening. :)

Avetiso
01-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Left is Nokya, right it OEM. The difference is bigger in person. I think it's worth it.

EDIT: I didn't get a picture of the high beam yellows because it's too much light for the camera.

PirateZHP
01-31-2014, 06:01 AM
25,000 views on this thread. :shifty

Anyway, today, I replaced my PS reservoir and turkey basted the fluid two times. I'm so happy I did. The fluid was extremely dirty and it had a thick stench to it. I'll be flushing it a 5 or 6 more times in the coming days. I also installed my Nokya 2500k bulbs into the high beams and fogs. I love the look, however, it's not all that much yellower than stock bulbs. You'll see the pictures.

I also reverted to the OEM airbox and reset my adaptations. A good way to spend the evening. :)

Whatchu doin with that AFE intake you took off? :biggrin

cakM3
01-31-2014, 06:03 AM

???? Were you having issues using the aFe CAI Dario? If so, interesting because when I had this CAI installed in my ZHP I had no issues using it....no performance issues or codes....

QC_ZHP
01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Man I'd love to see the high beams w/ yellow bulbs. Are you just sticking w/ bulbs for the fogs or you going for lamix cover, etc.?

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Whatchu doin with that AFE intake you took off? :biggrin
Not sure yet.

???? Were you having issues using the aFe CAI Dario? If so, interesting because when I had this CAI installed in my ZHP I had no issues using it....no performance issues or codes....
No performance issues or codes. It was the fitment that made me take it out for now. My intake boots are cracked, and I think the kink the aFe puts the boots into is exasperating it. It's also kinda hard to install, because the bolt holes don't quite line up and I end up scratching my engine bay a lot. :( I'll see if I modify the housing some way.

Man I'd love to see the high beams w/ yellow bulbs. Are you just sticking w/ bulbs for the fogs or you going for lamix cover, etc.?
Just yellow bulbs. I'll try to get a picture of the highbeams today. I'll have to get out my DSLR.

derbo
01-31-2014, 10:19 AM
You know Dario, I have the same problem and thats I noticed my lower intake boot is cracked right now. I'm getting a too lean bank 1 and 2 code and I suspect its from the intake boot cracked. The solution is probably to buy the Stett silicon intake boots. I might just follow you and remove the AFE too.

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 10:20 AM
You know Dario, I have the same problem and thats I noticed my lower intake boot is cracked right now. I'm getting a too lean bank 1 and 2 code and I suspect its from the intake boot cracked. The solution is probably to buy the Stett silicon intake boots. :)

Haha I suppose. You have any fitment issues?

derbo
01-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Haha I suppose. You have any fitment issues?

The intake angle is sharper than what was previous with the GruppeM or stock intake. It forces the boot to fold a little and may result is reduce inner diameter and airflow. I'm taking apart the boot to replace it when my parts come in on Monday from thebmwpartstore. I totally forgot to order some misc clips :facepalm.

QC_ZHP
01-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Stett has been back ordered forever it seems.

Vas
01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
I been keeping an eye out for those silicone boots.

derbo
01-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Stett has been back ordered forever it seems.

I know. I emailed them in Nov, and they said it was out 5 weeks, well uhm its been that..

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's in my head, but I'll ask...

Anyone ever feel an increase in torque when returning to the OEM box? That's what I'm feeling.

But the sound is gone. :(

QC_ZHP
01-31-2014, 02:43 PM

Anyone ever feel an increase in torque when returning to the OEM box? That's what I'm feeling.

I felt the same when I was cleaning my Gruppe M and installed the stock box. The sound is worth it though

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Here are the pictures of the lights. Still having issues with that xenon not firing.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0051_zpsb64a36d8.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0051_zpsb64a36d8.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0047_zpsfaf2cc33.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0047_zpsfaf2cc33.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0050_zps07f086c1.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0050_zps07f086c1.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0053_zpsce2d52a4.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0053_zpsce2d52a4.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0052_zps99b328e9.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0052_zps99b328e9.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0056_zps608e22a8.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0056_zps608e22a8.jpg.html)

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Bought a xenon igniter for my headlight. Should be here in a little over a week.

derbo
01-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Are you referring to low end? I always noticed intakes lose low end for the benefit of mid-high end to breathe better.

How much was the ignitor Dario?

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Are you referring to low end? I always noticed intakes lose low end for the benefit of mid-high end to breathe better.

How much was the ignitor Dario?

I like torque. :)

The ignitor was $86.

Imola.ZHP
02-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Taillights are looking good! I had an ignitor that took 7 years to finally bite the dust. Before it gave up completely I could flip the lights off and back on and it would fire that side up. Then it wouldn't do it for 4 months, and randomly would again. I'm sharing this incase you have not tried it yet, maybe it will work for you to get you by until you can get the ignitor swapped out. If it doesn't work, well, then I guess yours is done.

Changing the ignitor isn't fun, but its not too bad really. While your in there I would recommend upgrading to the ZKW lenses (if you don't have them already) as your basically already there. If you have ZKW's from stock, it will be a good time to find out if you have burned bowls or not. I used two or three different youtube video's, each one had their own good tip(s), just took my time and got the ignitor swapped and the ZKW lenses put in without any major problems. The cut-off is SO amazing compared to the hazy Bosch lenses. I did this around 6 months ago and still, every time I turn them on I'm like "daymn, look at that cut off line!"

Avetiso
02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Taillights are looking good! I had an ignitor that took 7 years to finally bite the dust. Before it gave up completely I could flip the lights off and back on and it would fire that side up. Then it wouldn't do it for 4 months, and randomly would again. I'm sharing this incase you have not tried it yet, maybe it will work for you to get you by until you can get the ignitor swapped out. If it doesn't work, well, then I guess yours is done.

Changing the ignitor isn't fun, but its not too bad really. While your in there I would recommend upgrading to the ZKW lenses (if you don't have them already) as your basically already there. If you have ZKW's from stock, it will be a good time to find out if you have burned bowls or not. I used two or three different youtube video's, each one had their own good tip(s), just took my time and got the ignitor swapped and the ZKW lenses put in without any major problems. The cut-off is SO amazing compared to the hazy Bosch lenses. I did this around 6 months ago and still, every time I turn them on I'm like "daymn, look at that cut off line!"
Thanks! I love the tails, too.

My headlight almost never fires on the first try. Multiple refiring helps sometimes, but usually it doesn't. It fires up eventually, but sometimes it takes as long as 15 minutes for it to finally fire. I've ruled out bulbs and ballasts, so I'm sure it's the ingitor.

Thanks for the heads up about the lenses! Totally forgot about that. I might just buy a second ignitor and a set of lenses, and refresh both headlights. I have had a few no-fires with my other headlight as well, but it's still pretty good at the moment. That's just more money... ugh. My car is becoming a money pit. I definitely want to swap in the lenses, though.

Vas
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I need new lenses still and euro clears for the front. Money pit it is.

Avetiso
02-01-2014, 07:26 PM
The cut-off is SO amazing compared to the hazy Bosch lenses. I did this around 6 months ago and still, every time I turn them on I'm like "daymn, look at that cut off line!"

Did you space the projectors? That's the only thing that worries me, is having to possibly go back in and remodify the setup to get a good cutoff.

Imola.ZHP
02-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Did you space the projectors? That's the only thing that worries me, is having to possibly go back in and remodify the setup to get a good cutoff.

I spaced them with the set screws that were already there. One of the three video's/threads I used said he adjusted them "out" as far as they could go and had an excellent cut off. I did the same and experienced the same outcome. Definitely take the setup back out to the car and test the cutoff before you put it completely back together, it looks (and probably sounds) messy, but its not that bad, totally doable; plug everything in, see how you like the cut off and go from there. I took mine back inside and buttoned them up because they looked great!

I think they were only $20 (or so) back when I did them from the retrofit source (not sure if prices have changed or if I'm remembering wrong, maybe they were $20 each). But you'll already be in there, so you might as well. Well, you'll already be in there on one side, but doing two doesn't take much longer than the one.

EDIT: Oh, and its a great time to clean the housings also, but be careful, I was cleaning the chrome on one of the bowls and a little bit of the chrome came off. I had experienced this before on another car (in which I made it worse by messing with it more) so I just left it alone. Also, not sure how you feel about blacking out the headlights, but if you wanted to do it, it would be a great time as well. I like the look on my car.

Avetiso
02-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I spaced them with the set screws that were already there. One of the three video's/threads I used said he adjusted them "out" as far as they could go and had an excellent cut off. I did the same and experienced the same outcome. Definitely take the setup back out to the car and test the cutoff before you put it completely back together, it looks (and probably sounds) messy, but its not that bad, totally doable; plug everything in, see how you like the cut off and go from there. I took mine back inside and buttoned them up because they looked great!

I think they were only $20 (or so) back when I did them from the retrofit source (not sure if prices have changed or if I'm remembering wrong, maybe they were $20 each). But you'll already be in there, so you might as well. Well, you'll already be in there on one side, but doing two doesn't take much longer than the one.

EDIT: Oh, and its a great time to clean the housings also, but be careful, I was cleaning the chrome on one of the bowls and a little bit of the chrome came off. I had experienced this before on another car (in which I made it worse by messing with it more) so I just left it alone. Also, not sure how you feel about blacking out the headlights, but if you wanted to do it, it would be a great time as well. I like the look on my car.
Let me see some pictures? I had the idea of painting the xenon shroud gloss or flat black... not sure.

derbo
02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Let me see some pictures? I had the idea of painting the xenon shroud gloss or flat black... not sure.

Only the xenon shroud right? Not the halogen shroud too ?

Avetiso
02-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Only the xenon shroud right? Not the halogen shroud too ?

I don't know. :( I'm not sure how it'll look with the high heat bowl still being chrome.

What do you think?

Imola.ZHP
02-03-2014, 08:46 PM
At first I painted the halogen shroud black (about 2 years before that ignitor finally quit working altogether), then while I had the projector apart to swap the lenses I went ahead and painted the projector shroud too.

My car is mostly used in town, the inner halogen lights were only for "flash to pass" which is pretty much useless for me. They may or may not be handy for you.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/308574_2203729380381_1623302193_n.jpg
Here is my car in November, 2011 with the halogen shrouds painted black, but with the projector still chrome.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/403131_4065823371567_642675554_n.jpg
Another from November 2012.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/481076_10200943242330920_92033697_n.jpg
Apparently I did the ignitor swap, lens swap and housing painting in November of 2013.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1465198_10201117101557292_1432210548_n.jpg
Another recent.

Not sure how it would look if you are planning to keep the ambers on the front of the car. I have film to "smoke" my corners and side markers, same film I did my taillights with (see below), but I've been WAY too busy.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/999156_10201433366623721_1407604649_n.jpg

Also, while I'm whoring up your thread with pics, here are a few shots of my cut-off line, keep in mind these were taken with an iPhone5; note the graininess of the garage door and house above the cut-off

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1898051_10201433366383715_2142781580_n.jpg
I think this was about 25-30 ft away, you can somewhat see the cut off down the side of our CR-V too.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1780703_10201433366223711_299975708_n.jpg
Much closer.

One might be able to get a sharper cut-off line (I promise it is sharper than iPhone5 is showing) with lots of time, but this was/is a day and night difference from the stock Bosch "milky" lenses.

Avetiso
02-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Wow, Marcus, thanks for the info and pictures! It really gives me an idea of how it'll look. I'll think about it. It looks fantastic on Imola, but I'm not sure how it'd look on a darker color like mine.

Lenses look awesome, though. Well done.

derbo
02-04-2014, 12:15 AM
the reflector housing is meant to reflect light outwards. I use my halogens on mountain passes so I prefer to keep them chrome and reflecting light. :)

Vas
02-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Man that Imola though. Fap Fap Fap

Imola.ZHP
02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Wow, Marcus, thanks for the info and pictures! It really gives me an idea of how it'll look. I'll think about it. It looks fantastic on Imola, but I'm not sure how it'd look on a darker color like mine.

Lenses look awesome, though. Well done.

No problem! The cut off should look even better when I replace the outside lenses/covers. They are pretty pitted so I'm sure they are diffracting around a bit. I agree, it may or may not go over as well on your color and/or with orange front turn signals.

the reflector housing is meant to reflect light outwards. I use my halogens on mountain passes so I prefer to keep them chrome and reflecting light. :)

So you hold the flash to pass back lever back as you climb mountains? Or have you re-wired your headlights? Your xenon's are bi-xenon (low and high beam), the middle lights are only for flash to pass.

Oh wait! I guess if you have them enabled for DRL's they would be on, but wouldn't they go off when you turn on your xenon's? Or maybe they can be coded on? I like the look for my car, but agree it's not for everyone. :cheers

Man that Imola though. Fap Fap Fap

I've had her nearly 8 years, by far my most favorite vehicle I've owned since I started driving in 1998!

Avetiso
02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking I'll paint my xenon shroud gloss black, I'll leave the center bowl gloss, and I'll only leave angel eyes on the center bowl.

I am upgrading to clear corners as well (as soon as they come in the mail), and I was thinking of putting in yellow blinkers all around. That way, clears, fogs, and highbeams would all be yellow. :) I think it would look different.

Avetiso
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Installed new Mann intake air filter, wiped down my engine bay, and flushed my PS a few more times.

az3579
02-04-2014, 07:30 PM
So you hold the flash to pass back lever back as you climb mountains? Or have you re-wired your headlights? Your xenon's are bi-xenon (low and high beam), the middle lights are only for flash to pass.

Oh wait! I guess if you have them enabled for DRL's they would be on, but wouldn't they go off when you turn on your xenon's? Or maybe they can be coded on?

He's got trifecta. Done through coding.
Bi-Xenon high beams, halogen high beams, and fog lights on all at the same time.

derbo
02-05-2014, 01:53 AM

Oh wait! I guess if you have them enabled for DRL's they would be on, but wouldn't they go off when you turn on your xenon's? Or maybe they can be coded on? I like the look for my car, but agree it's not for everyone. :cheers

I've had her nearly 8 years, by far my most favorite vehicle I've owned since I started driving in 1998!

The trifecta mod is where the bixenons, halogen, and fogs are allows to be on. I coded my car to have this option. It's definitely brighter! I do like the look with the housing shroud painted black though!

Sent from my iPad

Avetiso
02-06-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to paint my grills flat black. Nobody really buys chrome grills, so it makes more sense to try and paint them.

QC_ZHP
02-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Do it

Avetiso
02-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to paint my grills flat black. Nobody really buys chrome grills, so it makes more sense to try and paint them.

I meant gloss black.

iZHP
02-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Yeah the chrome paint on these housings scratches sooo easily it's not even funny Lol

-Sent via iPhone 5S

ELCID86
02-07-2014, 05:06 AM
I meant gloss black.

Yes!

Try leaving he vertical slats chrome for a different look.

Avetiso
02-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Yes!

That looks awesome, Shawn. Reminds me how bad my paint is, too! :rofl

I want the black look, so I'll be painting all of it. I hope it turns out nice.

Avetiso
02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Also, my huge order from thebmwpartstore will ship next week, now that most of the stuff they got from Germany is arriving.

I will also be picking up two cans of Nissan Precision Gray today to repaint my cube trim, which is now so faded, it looks purple in most light.

Imola.ZHP
02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
He's got trifecta. Done through coding.
Bi-Xenon high beams, halogen high beams, and fog lights on all at the same time.

Awesome, I rarely even use my xenon brights unless I'm flashing some a$$hat with their brights on

The trifecta mod is where the bixenons, halogen, and fogs are allows to be on. I coded my car to have this option. It's definitely brighter! I do like the look with the housing shroud painted black though!

Sent from my iPad

10-4, I can't wait to play with coding someday.

Yes!

I did that originally (before breaking the tabs on one of the rings and swapping them out for aftermarkets. It looked ok.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/14845_4255895643255_420967102_n.jpg

Her first Autocross (with me as the owner). Paper/Dealer/Drive-out tag in the front windshield.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/553117_4255898603329_107868936_n.jpg

Clear corners installed (way back in the day!). I thought the chrome slats looked good with all of the chrome in the headlights and corners.

/whoring out your thread with my pics, seriously this time, haha

Avetiso
02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Love the pics, Marcus. I think I'll go with all black, though.

Also, thebmwpartstore had to reject my order for clear lights. Apparently, they are not allowed to order them.

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Yesterday, I repainted my interior cube trim Nissan Precision Gray, per BP's recommendation. It's a great match to new silver cube, and I love the color. I also repainted my chrome grills black. That didn't turn out as nice as I wanted it to. The paint I used didn't play well with the surface, and then I had a clear coat run leave a small line on the bottom of one of the grills. I don't care enough to sand/repaint, so I'll just leave it. It looks better regardless. Here are some pictures. Sorry I couldn't get more of the cube, but it's raining and overcast out here so I can't get any good lighting for the life of me.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0059_zpsaf44bc7f.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0059_zpsaf44bc7f.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0057_zps99109c58.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0057_zps99109c58.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0063_zpsd0b097dc.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0063_zpsd0b097dc.jpg.html)http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/OB%20ZHP/PICT0064_zps91d75f89.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/OB%20ZHP/PICT0064_zps91d75f89.jpg.html)

ELCID86
02-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Looking good.

PirateZHP
02-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks great. I'm going to do my cube trim soon! Any specific instructions?

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Not really. Set a nice, low dust area to paint in. Clean with alcohol beforehand. Do very light coats. Wouldn't want to cover the cube finish. Let it dry for 4-5 hours, and be careful with the edges. They can start to flake up if you scratch them.

johnrando
02-08-2014, 10:02 AM
It all looks good in the pics Dario.

Johal E32
02-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Love the pics, Marcus. I think I'll go with all black, though.

Also, thebmwpartstore had to reject my order for clear lights. Apparently, they are not allowed to order them.

I sourced my OEM rear clears from a eBay seller in Latvia... lol.

Lanister
02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Dude, the grillies look very good. Don't sweat it ;)

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Dude, the grillies look very good. Don't sweat it ;)
Thanks. I'll see how long they last.

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 06:50 PM
So, now that I'm going clear, I decided to something different than stealth bulbs.

Yellow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1156-Yellow-Light-Bulbs-Park-Signal-2056-3497-1073-Pair-/161160804071?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2585eeb6e7

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Ordered OEM clear corners from Turner.

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Looking good.

It all looks good in the pics Dario.
Thanks, fellas. I thought I had responded to your compliments, but I guess not. Been a little under the weather today.

derbo
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Feel better Dario. :)

Avetiso
02-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Feel better Dario. :)
Thanks, Derek!

Imola.ZHP
02-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Not sure about the super yellow bulbs, been a fan of the stealth's myself since I swapped to clears in late 2006.

As for the grills, I spent so much time on mine back in the day trying to get them perfect. In the end I ended up breaking too many clips on one of the rings "fixing" them and swapped to some aftermarkets. I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you.

Get well soon!

Avetiso
02-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Not sure about the super yellow bulbs, been a fan of the stealth's myself since I swapped to clears in late 2006.

As for the grills, I spent so much time on mine back in the day trying to get them perfect. In the end I ended up breaking too many clips on one of the rings "fixing" them and swapped to some aftermarkets. I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you.

Get well soon!
Thanks. I feel the same way. I gave it an effort, and when these things start chipping I'll just go aftermarket. It's not that big of a deal.

As for the yellow bulbs, I'll see how I like it. I already have yellow high beams and fogs, so yellow turn signals would complete it all around.

Avetiso
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Finally, my order of clears shipped from Turner. The transformation shall be soon complete. :) Also, a few parts that were coming in from Germany are stuck in customs, so even though it's been over two weeks, my order from thebmwpartstore hasn't shipped yet. :( Freaking customs. It's just plastic, let it through!

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Yellow bulbs in. Just waiting on clear corners now. 1226212263

gmurphy
02-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Yellow bulbs in. Just waiting on clear corners now. 1226212263

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Very nice!

Thanks! I'll try to get some pictures in the dark to better grab the color, too.

gmurphy
02-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks! I'll try to get some pictures in the dark to better grab the color, too.

I want clears now... But I do like the amber too. Maybe I could swap them out every few weeks haha

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 07:39 PM
I want clears now... But I do like the amber too. Maybe I could swap them out every few weeks haha

Switch. You won't go back.

Avetiso
02-13-2014, 07:39 PM

gmurphy
02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
That is looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakM3
02-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Dario, those lights are bright! Looks great!

Avetiso
02-14-2014, 10:24 AM
That is looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Dario, those lights are bright! Looks great!
Thank you, Charlie. :biggrin On Monday, UPS should drop off my OEM clear corners, and I should complete the look. I'm impressed with the bulbs, actually. The rear and front bulbs are from eBay because nobody really makes them. The side markers are PIAA, and the yellow look is nearly identical. The PIAA bulbs are a little less yellow.

QC_ZHP
02-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Anxious to see the clear corners. The rears look amazing but I'm hesitant to lose my ambers up front for some reason. I'm running euro lights so maybe I should do the swap. Its pricey though

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 10:27 AM
YES! 12341

Vas
02-17-2014, 10:49 AM
What the crap did you buy

Hornung418
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Tell us everything!!!
Nice haul.

Sent from my GS3.

Lanister
02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
YES! 12341

Happy Valentine's to your girl :) She will LOVE you!

Pip
02-17-2014, 11:06 AM
muhahaha. Let President's day begin with some light modding.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
What the crap did you buy

Tell us everything!!!
Nice haul.

Sent from my GS3.

Happy Valentine's to your girl :) She will LOVE you!

muhahaha. Let President's day begin with some light modding.
Thanks, guys. So happy that UPS delivers today, and they got it to me early!

ZHP Knob
Euro tray
Euro clear corners
New mirror control switch
New intake boots
///M dead pedal
Random clips and plastics
3rd brake cover (mine was peeling)

By the way, the ZHP knob feels HUGE compared to the Performance knob, now that I'm used to it. It'll take some getting used to again.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM

Lanister
02-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Sexytime! :)

derbo
02-17-2014, 11:11 AM
The yellow does change the look a bit. Interesting.

sent from Moto X Dev edition

Hornung418
02-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Sweet!!! I need ONE clears...but money right now is tight after my "moving violation in Mexico"

Sent from my GS3.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:12 AM
The yellow does change the look a bit. Interesting.

Is that saying you don't like it? Haha. It definitely is different. I like it but I'm sure it isn't for everyone.

derbo
02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm indifferent about it. I love clears but I don't want to love it cause I will get it if I love it too much. :P

Lanister
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Dario, you're in dire need of some new headlight lenses. Just sayin' ;)

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Sweet!!! I need ONE clears...but money right now is tight after my "moving violation in Mexico"

Sent from my GS3.
Haha, sorry to hear. It happens. :(

I'm indifferent about it. I love clears but I don't want to love it cause I will get it if I love it too much. :P

Just buy them already. Don't think, just mod. :rofl

Dario, you're in dire need of some new headlight lenses. Just sayin' ;)
I know, I know. Baby steps. :) I want to get new lenses when I do the work to my headlights. I need to replace the ignitor in one of them, as well as swap to ZKW lenses, and repaint my xenon shrouds flat black. It'll have to wait a little more. :p

Hornung418
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Haha, sorry to hear. It happens. :(

No worries. It was self-inflicted. However its been paid off already just need another two weeks to recover.

Work is offering a few bonuses in my path to becoming a Total Wine Professional. Take an exam. Pass with an 80% and get $200...there are seven exams. :)

Sent from my GS3.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
No worries. It was self-inflicted. However its been paid off already just need another two weeks to recover.

Work is offering a few bonuses in my path to becoming a Total Wine Professional. Take an exam. Pass with an 80% and get $200...there are seven exams. :)

Sent from my GS3.
:biggrin More mod money!

Lanister
02-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Woha, that sounds like a total project for your headlights. May I recommend some slight smoke lamin-x protection? Smoke makes it look hawt :)

yura
02-17-2014, 12:37 PM

That looks wicked!

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 02:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/18/ruqe8y8u.jpg

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Woha, that sounds like a total project for your headlights. May I recommend some slight smoke lamin-x protection? Smoke makes it look hawt :)
I plan to do that, for sure!

That looks wicked!
Thanks! It's definitely different, and I've never seen anyone else with it. I love it.

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, good always has a little bad with it. I unbolted my driver seat to maneuver it around a bit to do some cleaning and whatnot... crossthreaded one of the bolts. :facepalm So now, my driver seat is held on by 3 bolts, and it can move one corner of it about 2-3 inches off the base. Totally sucks. My dad will be home on the 20th and we will re-thread the hole, but I'm probably going to decommission the car as my DD for now. I don't want to approach freeway speeds with one bolt missing.

Gonna go drives to Lowe's, though, to do the clutch stop mod.

EDIT: The bolt crossthreaded because the railing on the seat is actually crooked. I'm not sure how it happened, but that's what caused it to crossthread (so it's not entirely my own stupid fault). :biggrin

Hornung418
02-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Well that sucks. M Dead pedal looks good though. I love mine.

Sent from my GS3.

danewilson77
02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, good always has a little bad with it. I unbolted my driver seat to maneuver it around a bit to do some cleaning and whatnot... crossthreaded one of the bolts. :facepalm So now, my driver seat is held on by 3 bolts, and it can move one corner of it about 2-3 inches off the base. Totally sucks. My dad will be home on the 20th and we will re-thread the hole, but I'm probably going to decommission the car as my DD for now. I don't want to approach freeway speeds with one bolt missing.

Gonna go drives to Lowe's, though, to do the clutch stop mod.

EDIT: The bolt crossthreaded because the railing on the seat is actually crooked. I'm not sure how it happened, but that's what caused it to crossthread (so it's not entirely my own stupid fault). :biggrin

I have the tap and handle for this. Wonder why.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk