PDA

View Full Version : What did you do for your ZHP/BMW today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

nike001
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
No. What I'm saying is the lack of amber coloring inside the lens makes a TiAg look washed out. See my sig for egg yolk.

OHHH okay. I'm sorry.. I wasn't grasping it. Before last night, I had egg yolk..and I loved it. But I figured this would look good too. I get what you're saying now.. It makes your car seem more 'plain' and nothing really catches the eye. Like a blob of TiAg, correct?

das boots
02-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Lawrence,
If you haven't done the VANOS seals already, I'd be happy to help. I've done it one time. It's just a matter of working out a time when I can get to San Diego, which is an hour drive for me if there is zero traffic. I have a fairly flexible schedule until about Feb 27th. For example if you were free this Sunday I could probably come down, as long as I don't crash or have a breakdown tomorrow at the track.

BTW this assumes you have a double VANOS and no timing needs to be set. I has no idea how to set timing, but on the M54 motor that's not an issue.

I do not have a VANOS problem....yet. Knock-knock. I'm just thinking of this when the time comes. Sent you a PM.

spencers
02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
OHHH okay. I'm sorry.. I wasn't grasping it. Before last night, I had egg yolk..and I loved it. But I figured this would look good too. I get what you're saying now.. It makes your car seem more 'plain' and nothing really catches the eye. Like a blob of TiAg, correct?

Yep, pretty much :p

Hornung418
02-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Cleared off about 3 inches of snow...Hitting the Computer Lab til 8...shit's weak :(

nike001
02-11-2012, 01:59 PM
How much snow is WVU supposed to get? It's snowing here, but we're not supposed to get more than an inch.

Hornung418
02-11-2012, 03:11 PM
1-2 more inches on top of the three we already got. WVU was on this shit and salted at 5 yesterday. Roads are nice and clear.

Crickett
02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Today's update: got the Stewart water pump in (holy heck there's a lot of BMW Blue in that cavity!), TMS underdrive water pump & power steering pulleys in, then spent forever trying to get the alternator's original pulley off, only to discover that I was sent the wrong TMS alternator pulley! So now I gotta wait until Monday to call Turner to organize a return & getting sent the correct one! Boo . . .

cakM3
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I followed Spencers suggestion and partitioned my MacBook into two separate partitions. My windows partition was set up and I was able to get Progman to work. Its not all done yet so I let a friend take my MacBook home to work on it over the weekend :) Good news is that my OBD II interface cable works...:)

I should have a full working setup for my Mac by next weekend:) I will also be installing my BBK that weekend as well :)

midlandtech
02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Washed, waxed, and engine detail. ...don't they look cute when they're sleeping?

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Crickett, I'm curious do you have the Bosch or Valeo alternator? Did you ever open the engine block drain plug?

Today's update: got the Stewart water pump in (holy heck there's a lot of BMW Blue in that cavity!), TMS underdrive water pump & power steering pulleys in, then spent forever trying to get the alternator's original pulley off, only to discover that I was sent the wrong TMS alternator pulley! So now I gotta wait until Monday to call Turner to organize a return & getting sent the correct one! Boo . . .

LivesNearCostco
02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh, no worries then! I thought you had just bought the VCG and VANOS seals and were itching to replace the seals right away. If you're not having obvious symptoms, you don't have to do the seals.

I do not have a VANOS problem....yet. Knock-knock. I'm just thinking of this when the time comes. Sent you a PM.

Crickett
02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Crickett, I'm curious do you have the Bosch or Valeo alternator? Did you ever open the engine block drain plug?

Bosch P/N 12-31-7-519-618, just like yours. ;)

http://tcholo.net:8080/images/bmw/altBosch7519618.jpg

I saw your post on E46F when I was looking up whether I did something wrong. But looking at TMS's installation guide, they list two part numbers for Bosch alternators, one 1.605" & one 1.477". They sent me the 1.605". The invoice lists the 1.605" as for "not 330i", but my order receipt clearly includes the 330i part number. Shouldn't take much to get it cleared up. :thumbup

And no, I never got the block drain plug out; just made a mess when I pulled out the water pump!

midlandtech
02-12-2012, 01:54 PM
bought some lamin x fog light covers to hopefully get a more rich yellow

nike001
02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
bought some lamin x fog light covers to hopefully get a more rich yellow

I just put mine on the other day. Definitely more yellow!!

Question, What do any of your ZHP front blinker lights take? 1156 or 7507? It seems like I may have one of each.. or. Damn, I don't know. I'm confused because I ordered 7507 from Khoalty. I can swap the right to the left, but I can't swap the left to the right. To make it worse, one of the bulbs doesn't work so I'm trying to tell Khoalty which kind of bulb to send in replacement :(

das boots
02-12-2012, 07:42 PM
That's what I like to hear!!!

I need the inner lights that go on the trunk.. do you think anywhere sells just those?

I found this today. Is this the one you are looking for???? They are OE.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2848362261.html

nike001
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
I found this today. Is this the one you are looking for???? They are OE.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2848362261.html

Wow. Yeah, but for a 0 less. I can get a whole brand new set almost for $200!

iZHP
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Just ordered the Depo LED corners from khoalty :)

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/led-depo-sedan-corner-lights.html

LivesNearCostco
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks! That does look just like the back of my alternator. Sooo... if TMS makes three alt pulleys (2 Bosch, 1 Valeo), I wonder if Evosport only makes one? does, or if they only make one for Bosch, one for Valeo. Now that you gave me the measurements, I can hopefully take my pulley to Evosport this week and have them machine it down to 1.477". It's a difference or 0.128" or 3.2512mm. You saved me having to pull my alternator and measure it! (silly me, when I did have the alternator out last year, I took a picture of the two side-by-side but didn't measure them carefully.)

I was under the car today doing motor mounts and saw the coolant drain plug. It is higher up and harder to reach than I remember. Luckily I wasn't trying to reach it today!

I saw your post on E46F when I was looking up whether I did something wrong. But looking at TMS's installation guide, they list two part numbers for Bosch alternators, one 1.605" & one 1.477". They sent me the 1.605". The invoice lists the 1.605" as for "not 330i", but my order receipt clearly includes the 330i part number. Shouldn't take much to get it cleared up. :thumbup

And no, I never got the block drain plug out; just made a mess when I pulled out the water pump!

LivesNearCostco
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Today vacuumed dust off the dash, shift boot, seats, floor mats, console, steering column cover, etc. (Forgot to vacuum A-pillars.) Why, you may ask, did I have so much dust inside my car? Yesterday the car and I had a little offroad excursion in the high desert, going slightly sideways.

Tank slapper at 8:15 (watch from 8:00)
Can't downshift to 2nd gear at 8:30 and 11:52 (is it because I'm turning right?)
Ran out of talent and ate dust at 19:25

Kudos to the corner worker I'd just passed who immediately waved the yellow caution flag. I stalled the car (forgot "in a spin, both feet in" until too late) and while restarting, I saw two more cars coming. My thoughts were "please don't T-bone me!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVe4Rz7gA1s

M0nk3y
02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
What Tires are you running? They didn't seem to give you much feedback (so it seems) when you started loosing traction.

LivesNearCostco
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Hankook R-S3 with about 27 track heat cycles (sessions) on them, plus some AutoX cycles. One of them had started to cord at the outside edge, and by the end of this track day the new front left tire (promoted yesterday morning from back left) had also started to cord.

They do kind of have a reputation for not being "squealers" near the limit like some tires. I think if you listen to the video carefully, you can hear them do a soft squeal in some turns. Trying to decide if new track tires should also be R-S3 or something more expensive like Dunlop Star Specs. I need to wear out at least one more set of Max Performance summer tires before I'm ready to try R-comps.

Ryans323i
02-13-2012, 07:09 AM
I really enjoyed your video. That is exactly what I would love to do!

I was impressed with your save at 8:15, and it looked like that was the same corner that got you at 19:25. The whole thing looked like an intense experience!

das boots
02-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Wow. Yeah, but for a 0 less. I can get a whole brand new set almost for $200!

I agree. Because I have seen this run for quite a while now...so there are no takers for his asking price. If it was $100, then that is another story. Why not give him a call and maybe he might budge.....

elric
02-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Prepping for 'blacking out' my Kidney grilles and '330i' emblem with PlastiDip this evening. Will post pics later tonight after I complete the process.

danewilson77
02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Prepping for 'blacking out' my Kidney grilles and '330i' emblem with PlastiDip this evening. Will post pics later tonight after I complete the process.

:wave

M0nk3y
02-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Hankook R-S3 with about 27 track heat cycles (sessions) on them, plus some AutoX cycles. One of them had started to cord at the outside edge, and by the end of this track day the new front left tire (promoted yesterday morning from back left) had also started to cord.

They do kind of have a reputation for not being "squealers" near the limit like some tires. I think if you listen to the video carefully, you can hear them do a soft squeal in some turns. Trying to decide if new track tires should also be R-S3 or something more expensive like Dunlop Star Specs. I need to wear out at least one more set of Max Performance summer tires before I'm ready to try R-comps.

Yea, I could hear them barely, just didn't know what tires they were at all...(I just bought RS3s for this year autocrosses).

I'd love to go to R-Comps, but they are too expensive and don't last even a season. At least with the RS3s I can stretch it to 2 years, maybe 3

Sockethead
02-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Trying to decide if new track tires should also be R-S3 or something more expensive like Dunlop Star Specs. I need to wear out at least one more set of Max Performance summer tires before I'm ready to try R-comps.
I have Star Specs on my car now. They are an awesome tire. Incredibly sticky even when cold and amazing wet traction.
That being said, they tramline like a MoFo and thay are a very stiff tire. Guess that's the performance trade off.
Been meaning to do a review on them but I've just been too busy to get around to it.

Edit: they are about an inch wider than the Hankooks I replaced. They just fit the wheel wells with the stock ZHP rims...

Hornung418
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
John, what Transmission mounts do you have? If they're the stock ones, you need to upgrade to a stiffer durometer.

M0nk3y
02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
John, what Transmission mounts do you have? If they're the stock ones, you need to upgrade to a stiffer durometer.

+1

Same thing must to be done to our cars. Looks.like you got a case of the second gear denial

Sent using mental telepathy

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Just got done with the windshield

http://www.safelite.com/images/top_hdr_877.jpg

az3579
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Just ordered the Depo LED corners from khoalty :)

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/led-depo-sedan-corner-lights.html

Please let me know about the quality. I've been on the fence of ordering these for about a month now... The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not they'll look ricey. I haven't seen ANY sedan installed pics in daylight, so I couldn't picture it.

Pics when you get it!

Just got done with the windshield

http://www.safelite.com/images/top_hdr_877.jpg

Same goes to you for quality; could you please let us know if the windshield pits easily? I had Safelite install glass in my E30 and it was pitted noticeably within a month. I'm hoping that the glass they use for the E46 is better.

Thanks all!

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Oh herro, what's this UPS just dropped off?

johnrando
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
No pitting on my safelight glass for hmmm, 6 months now?

Seth, looking forward to the Dynavin review.

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Same goes to you for quality; could you please let us know if the windshield pits easily? I had Safelite install glass in my E30 and it was pitted noticeably within a month. I'm hoping that the glass they use for the E46 is better.

Thanks all!
Will do, they fixed the chips I had, not full glass replacement. From the looks of it, you can still see um just not as much. Kinda sucks cuz it won't look clean till I get a new windshield now and I'll probably stare at the damn chips even more because their faint but I know they're there.

w/e.

Lifetime warranty though, if I'm ever unsatisfied they'll use my payment towards a new windshield too. sounds fair to me :dunno

tomjonesrocks
02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Thought I would post this--unsure if anyone else has done this.

I had my 330Ci badge professionally painted. It's trivial, but for some reason the shiny chrome badge on a car that has no chrome anywhere else (well, once the grill is replaced with black) sort of bugged me. I didn't really want to de-badge so I thought I'd try a "shadow badge" look.

I felt like the ones I have seen that were already red might not match the Imola (and I have never seen a 330Ci version).

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6508/badgei.jpg

danewilson77
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks good

az3579
02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Will do, they fixed the chips I had, not full glass replacement. From the looks of it, you can still see um just not as much. Kinda sucks cuz it won't look clean till I get a new windshield now and I'll probably stare at the damn chips even more because their faint but I know they're there.

w/e.

Lifetime warranty though, if I'm ever unsatisfied they'll use my payment towards a new windshield too. sounds fair to me :dunno

Sounds good brutha. If you do get a replacement, you know what to do. :)

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Seth, looking forward to the Dynavin review.

step 1.

dont order the wrong HVAC relocation kit.

DAMNIT!!!!!!

MrMaico
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM

w/e.

If you're ever looking for an original BMW windshield I've noticed Husker BMW has a great price on them.....$247 vs $360 at Tischer or $311 at ECS. I am tempted to buy one to stash away until mine either gets a little more pitted or broken someday.

That's for the green tint, green shade band and rain sensor. A year ago it was only $211, wish I had grabbed one back then.

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=51317059706&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215771

MiniD
02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Past two days have been eventful.

De-badge
Install Khoalty black grills, clear corners, clean alcantara wheel, install ZHP knob, Lamin-X 'blue' fogs!

Pip
02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
step 1.

dont order the wrong HVAC relocation kit.

DAMNIT!!!!!!

Ugh... I hate when that happens. I'll be waiting for the review once you get it sorted out.

wsmeyer
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Oh herro, what's this UPS just dropped off?

Been looking into this for mine, are you doing the backup camera option?

Looking forward to a review.

William.

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
No back up cam yet. This thing is whack as hell right now. Can't get it to work right, maybe a connection is loose or something. I can't scroll my iPod list, my Bluetooth is pairing but now syncing contacts, steering wheel controls aren't working and the touch screen is really lagging.

Oh and no instructions either.

I'm gonna email the guy I bought it from tonight.

wsmeyer
02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
No back up cam yet. This thing is whack as hell right now. Can't get it to work right, maybe a connection is loose or something. I can't scroll my iPod list, my Bluetooth is pairing but now syncing contacts, steering wheel controls aren't working and the touch screen is really lagging.

Oh and no instructions either.

I'm gonna email the guy I bought it from tonight.

Did you check Dynavin's site for possibly a software upgrade? I don't know that much about them (yet) but I have read there are a few different versions.

William.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.855521,-118.398096

zj96sc
02-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Yikes, hope that gets better.

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Did you check Dynavin's site for possibly a software upgrade? I don't know that much about them (yet) but I have read there are a few different versions.

William.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.855521,-118.398096
I don't even know where to start to be honest.

johnrando
02-13-2012, 08:12 PM

I had my 330Ci badge professionally painted. It's trivial, but for some reason the shiny chrome badge on a car that has no chrome anywhere else (well, once the grill is replaced with black) sort of bugged me. I didn't really want to de-badge so I thought I'd try a "shadow badge" look.

I felt like the ones I have seen that were already red might not match the Imola (and I have never seen a 330Ci version).

Looks really good. Did they remove the #'s then stick them back on? Also, what's the story behind your username? There's a thread about that but I never saw you post and I always wondered.

johnrando
02-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I don't even know where to start to be honest.

There's a guy on e46f (Jeff at Dynavin Solutions) that may be able to help, but that might just be for his customers.

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah I purchased from Dynavin's other vendor Ottonavi.

ryankokesh
02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
If you have any specific questions I might be able to help. And fwiw, my bt contacts have never synced :(

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
oh I didn't know you had one. I should just make you come up this way and figure it out for me (and show me the new IR ZHP).

Well for starters, why does my fricking iPod navigation not let me scroll when I press menu in the iPod screen?
Why don't my steering wheel controls work (was told no adapter is needed anymore)

I'm pretty unhappy at the moment, this thing is made to look like it does a hell of a lot more than it actually does.

ryankokesh
02-13-2012, 09:35 PM
oh I didn't know you had one. I should just make you come up this way and figure it out for me (and show me the new IR ZHP).

Well for starters, why does my fricking iPod navigation not let me scroll when I press menu in the iPod screen?
Why don't my steering wheel controls work (was told no adapter is needed anymore)

I'm pretty unhappy at the moment, this thing is made to look like it does a hell of a lot more than it actually does.

To be honest I haven't used the iPod mode since last summer... I just play music through the Bluetooth and control it from my iPhone. The iPod interface is garbage. You have to use the remote for it to be at all usable.

I'll have to check on the wheel controls. I kind of remember some sort of adapter, but I could be thinking of my brother's vw I did. Or maybe my version needed one and the newer one doesn't?

It's by no means a stellar device, but once you kind of get a knack for it you'll hate it less. I like it most for the backup cam and the navigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I shoulda ordered a pioneer navi

Ryans323i
02-14-2012, 05:08 AM

:like

Cabrio330
02-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Replaced all 12 pieces of my black plastic bumper and door trim with new pieces that I purchased and had painted - for free, that's right, for free! - to match my car. I don't dislike the black trim look but wanted to do something a little different to my car that most ZHP sedans don't have. I think it turned out great:

I was able to get the painting done for free at a great local body shop who has repaired two of my previous cars, two of my wife's previous cars, my daughter's car once and my son's car three times. So yeah, they know me and my entire family by name and were willing to do this for free. And before anyone asks, only one of the eight previous body work jobs was our fault - my son's second time was his first at-fault accident.

balticvid
02-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Nice...
The car looks better than anything in a showroom.

What kind of polish and/or wax do you use?

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 05:51 AM
I shoulda ordered a pioneer navi

Yeah, that's what I put in my brother's VW. I like it more than my dynavin...

Also, really really liking that painted trim!

Cabrio330
02-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Nice...
The car looks better than anything in a showroom.

What kind of polish and/or wax do you use?

Thanks, but I think the car looks that good because of the quality - or lack thereof - of the pictures! The car is currently clean, but could definitely use a thorough detail with paint correction to eliminate the swirl marks, etc. I am waiting until it warms up enough over a weekend to do that.

Also, really really liking that painted trim!

Thanks, I like it too!

Ryans323i
02-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Replaced all 12 pieces of my black plastic bumper and door trim with new pieces that I purchased and had painted - for free, that's right, for free! - to match my car. I don't dislike the black trim look but wanted to do something a little different to my car that most ZHP sedans don't have. I think it turned out great:

I was able to get the painting done for free at a great local body shop who has repaired two of my previous cars, two of my wife's previous cars, my daughter's car once and my son's car three times. So yeah, they know me and my entire family by name and were willing to do this for free. And before anyone asks, only one of the eight previous body work jobs was our fault - my son's second time was his first at-fault accident.

Love color matched trim. Something you don't see often and it looks really clean. (I did it on my 323i.) :thumbsup

johnrando
02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
+1 LOVE the painted trim. I didn't realize you had done that on Lucy, Ryan. Another thing to look forward to seeing!

zj96sc
02-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Hey! another atlantan. car is lookin good.

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Yeah, that's what I put in my brother's VW. I like it more than my dynavin...

those (Pioneer AVIC) don't fit in our car correct?

otisdog
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Uhhh...backed my wifes' new 2004 (still not registered) into a stack of cinder blocks. I have to pull the rear bumper to retrofit the PDC, but I certainly wasn't planning to repaint it. She was with me, first time she had been in the car.

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
those (Pioneer AVIC) don't fit in our car correct?

You have to get a bezel (http://www.mybimmer.net/doubledintrim.htm)... I personally don't think it ends up looking as good as the Dynavin, which is why I went with it in the first place.

midlandtech
02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Uhhh...backed my wifes' new 2004 (still not registered) into a stack of cinder blocks. I have to pull the rear bumper to retrofit the PDC, but I certainly wasn't planning to repaint it. She was with me, first time she had been in the car.

~Steve

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
You have to get a bezel (http://www.mybimmer.net/doubledintrim.htm)... I personally don't think it ends up looking as good as the Dynavin, which is why I went with it in the first place.

hmmm. I'm just REALLY disappointed with the interface, i mean 50% of the time I have to click something twice to get it to work

nike001
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
hmmm. I'm just REALLY disappointed with the interface, i mean 50% of the time I have to click something twice to get it to work

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. This is why I prefer stock.. or OE parts. And seeing all the work that it takes to retrofit OE nav... no thanks.

MrMaico
02-14-2012, 09:55 AM

I think there is supposed to be a "calibrate screen" option somewhere. Have you tried that?

ryankokesh
02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah, it's sounding like your particular unit may be an exception.... I never felt mine was that bad...

Also, there's a pretty long thread on the unit here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1434-Dynavin-V5-BMW-Navigation-System

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
well i just done made this thing my bitch. much much better now. steering wheel controls 100%, screen calibrated, still not 100% but much much better. I'm still really peeved with the low quality iPod control (and that my phonebook doesn't sync - I mean what good is bluetooth interface if I have to look at my phone and the screen to make a call?) but then again coming from 2011 iDrive maybe my expectations are just too high. That generic album art background pisses me off though. Why tease me?

i still need to get the correct hvac relocation kit in there but I'm gonna button her up and just say this is done with for now.

cakM3
02-14-2012, 11:19 AM
well i just done made this thing my bitch. much much better now. steering wheel controls 100%, screen calibrated, still not 100% but much much better. I'm still really peeved with the low quality iPod control (and that my phonebook doesn't sync - I mean what good is bluetooth interface if I have to look at my phone and the screen to make a call?) but then again coming from 2011 iDrive maybe my expectations are just too high. That generic album art background pisses me off though. Why tease me?

i still need to get the correct hvac relocation kit in there but I'm gonna button her up and just say this is done with for now.

Isn't it the other way around still? :scratchinghead I mean you still have that iPod and bluetooth interface to deal with.....looks like Dynavin it teasing you still......

just messin' with you....good to see that you are making progress and sharing this with the Mafia :thumbsup If I didn't have OEM navigation, I would be looking at a different path after hearing of these problems....hope you are able to resolve those outstanding issues....then Dynavin will be your bitch :)

zj96sc
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
So why the change? What was the key?

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I travel to a lot of unknown destinations for my 2 photography jobs so I need navi. Coulda done Garmin but I need handsfree bluetooth also (which Garmin does, just not well). I am a huge fan for consolidating things efficiently. I don't want a bluetooth headset, iPod dock and Garmin all as separate entities ( and truth be told the iSimple that Eli had in my car before i bought it wasn't reliable so it needed to go).

My choices were either go DICE mediabridge + garmin or dynavin. I chose dynavin just because its all right there on 1 screen and it would also provide a platform for me to upgrade the stereo on (preamps and such).

that being said when I finally got it all dialed in today I turned on the "loud" feature, bumped the bass and treble and turned up the volume... this thing hits pretty hard now. everyone said to expect a loss in sound quality but I'm pretty sure it went up. Maybe its just the newer design - D99 non android V5 - but those 6x9s are hitting like well amped 8's (or even 10s) like in my 135i. I might actually not need to add a sub now. I don't need overpowering deep bass, just tight hard hitting low end. I might replace the door speakers later on but I'm fairly satisfied right now. Good thing too cuz it'll save me $500 or so on the sub setup which means I might be able to do headers instead. ;)

as for my issues, I got a response back from the guys where I purchased it from and they're gonna walk me through setting it all up - even they admitted the user manual sucks ass.

M3TA5IN
02-14-2012, 03:09 PM
My driver side angel eyes went out so I'm picking up the MTEC angel eyes from sonic tuning. Will do a write up after install.

Ryans323i
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Oh bummer!

midlandtech
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
ordered the Cell phone mount from Bimmian and made an appointment to have the tail light recall done this Thursday by my buddy at the dealership

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
ordered the Cell phone mount from Bimmian and made an appointment to have the tail light recall done this Thursday by my buddy at the dealership

Nice....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Sonax wheel cleaner. Just $9.99 + $8 shipping.

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Solid deal I would order some but have a 5 gal of chemical guys wheel cleaner I still need to use up

nike001
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Sonax is only something I use a few times a year. All other times it's just normal soap & water. I never let mine get really dirty anyways.

That wheel brightener stuff is good too.. awesome on brake dust.

UdubBadger
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
the brembos on the 1er and stock pads are so dusty i used to have to use sonax once a week.

then i got cool carbon pads and it was like once a month. good stuff though

LivesNearCostco
02-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Glad you liked it! I gained confidence from the save at 8:15, possibly too much confidence and that might have led me to push too hard at 19:25. Different corner, but both are left handers. If you live in North Carolina, I hear the Tarheel CCA chapter has good driving schools. In fact they're going to VIR February 24-26th, maybe again June 29-July 1.

Transmission mounts are UUC poly black with enforcer cups. I thought I might have broken one in the tank slapper, but they looked fine on Sunday when I was under the car. Will remove transmission brace later this week to verify that I didn't break a mount. Another possibility is I was just trying too hard to downshift in the middle of the turn and caught it on the reverse gate.

I really enjoyed your video. That is exactly what I would love to do!
I was impressed with your save at 8:15, and it looked like that was the same corner that got you at 19:25. The whole thing looked like an intense experience!

static667
02-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Going to be dropping $600 into my car on Friday. Stay tuned for more... :biggrin

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

Ryans323i
02-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Going to be dropping $600 into my car on Friday. Stay tuned for more... :biggrin

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

Whoa! You tease!

nike001
02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Since he said "dropping" instead of "spending" I'm led to believe he's doing something maintenance wise. I never use the word "dropping" for when I'm talking about mods :D

But today I was driving to school and I noticed I hear a little more road noise than I'm used to. It sounds like my drivers side window isn't up all the way.. I even played with it by putting the window down a little bit by quickly pressing the down switch and it (of course) gets louder. Could it be seals of some sort?

Hornung418
02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Classic e46 wind noise...

nike001
02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Agh, maybe since the roads were wet that was amplifying it. I just never remembered it being that loud..

T.Bird
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I ordered Vanos seals! I already have the VCG, so I need to stop by the dealer and get the vanos gasket and oil line washers. I should be replacing everything next week. I'm also going to replace the DISA seal (since I found out I can get a matching one from autozone for $6)

danewilson77
02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I ordered Vanos seals! I already have the VCG, so I need to stop by the dealer and get the vanos gasket and oil line washers. I should be replacing everything next week. I'm also going to replace the DISA seal (since I found out I can get a matching one from autozone for $6)

And 15 vc grommets.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

T.Bird
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
And 15 vc grommets.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I assumed they were included with the VCG, they are not. Thanks!

Ryans323i
02-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Glad you liked it! I gained confidence from the save at 8:15, possibly too much confidence and that might have led me to push too hard at 19:25. Different corner, but both are left handers. If you live in North Carolina, I hear the Tarheel CCA chapter has good driving schools. In fact they're going to VIR February 24-26th, maybe again June 29-July 1.

Transmission mounts are UUC poly black with enforcer cups. I thought I might have broken one in the tank slapper, but they looked fine on Sunday when I was under the car. Will remove transmission brace later this week to verify that I didn't break a mount. Another possibility is I was just trying too hard to downshift in the middle of the turn and caught it on the reverse gate.

I'm actually a member of the Sandlapper Chapter in SC. They do a lot more stuff at the Performance center, so that pushed my decision. I have aspirations of actually hitting a track sometime, I just want need to get another BMW first. Whether that car replaces my Lucy as a DD or is the track car itself, we'll see.

S85FTW
02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Bought a leather M3 steering wheel to replace crappy Alcantara. Also found out my csl center console is shipping to me this week!

az3579
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm actually a member of the Sandlapper Chapter in SC. They do a lot more stuff at the Performance center, so that pushed my decision. I have aspirations of actually hitting a track sometime, I just want need to get another BMW first. Whether that car replaces my Lucy as a DD or is the track car itself, we'll see.

Y no Lucy on track?

Ryans323i
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
If I end up getting a newer BMW for a DD, I'll put her on the track. I don't want something to happen to her and be without a bmw again. I hated not having one to drive last Sept, Oct, and Nov.

midlandtech
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
had my buddy at the local dealership do the tail light recall today. when they drove the car in it attracted a crowd of Techs and one of the service writers commented it was one of the cleanest ZHP's they had seen come in.... I was blushing like a school girl

Nomar06
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Set up an appointment with a local indy shop, Eurowise in Charlotte, NC, the other day. Going to have them do a oil, tranny and diff fluid change. Also a full inspection on the car. The tech drove it and mentioned the fcabs might need replacing and maybe the tranny mounts since there is a clunky noise when shifting sometimes.

After that I will be on the hunt for some black grills, "whiter" fog bulbs, tint, angel eyes, new tails, side markers and blinkers.

cakM3
02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Bought a leather M3 steering wheel to replace crappy Alcantara. Also found out my csl center console is shipping to me this week!

Nice :thumbsup Kris, you will love it when you get it :biggrin

otisdog
02-17-2012, 09:47 AM
This is something I'm going to do on my wife's car...whre did you get it, and how much?

S85FTW
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM
E46 fanatics, $180 shipped from a part out... just the bare wheel, no buttons, no airbag, no trim (no biggie since I am swapping it from my steering wheel anyway)

midlandtech
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
bought rotors and pads from Ray... I am super surprised at how affordable they where I am excited to get them now =)

nike001
02-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Sorry to everyone who wanted a FX-R DIY, but this definitely didn't go as planned. I changed my plans so many times with Terra and things have gone wrong that we've had to just improvise. Thank god for JB Weld. Terra and I just finished up for the night while waiting for both sides of JB Weld to dry. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow evening since this stuff needs 24hrs to dry. I don't even have shrouds but I'm too antsy and will probably run them until I get shrouds anyways.

I'll be sure to post pictures of them tomorrow night or Sunday.

cakM3
02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, its a lot of work retrofitting FX-Rs...much more than doing the M3 AL projectors, but the light output from them are amazing. If I do this I will be sending my headlight assemblies and FX-R projectors to Lightwerks and have Ceasar take care of it :)

nike001
02-17-2012, 03:56 PM
If I had lots of monies, I would have sent mine to Lightwerkz as well. They always do such awesome jobs.. but I'm 20 & currently going to school, so I don't have money to just be throwing at lights. My next adventure will be my cooling system..

danewilson77
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Did you get blanks? What setup did you get?

LivesNearCostco
02-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Got my underdrive pulley issue resolved yesterday. Visited EvoSport. They removed my old alternator pulley and machined the new EvoSport one down to be exactly the same height. Meanwhile I got to check out the BMW, Porsche and Mercedes race cars being prepped in their shop. So for customer service I give them the big :thumbsup !

But it would have been easier if they sold two heights of Bosch underdrive pulley. They sell two, but they are the same height, just different diameters (underdrive or audiophile).

Crickett
02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Got my underdrive pulley issue resolved yesterday. Visited EvoSport. They removed my old alternator pulley and machined the new EvoSport one down to be exactly the same height. Meanwhile I got to check out the BMW, Porsche and Mercedes race cars being prepped in their shop. So for customer service I give them the big :thumbsup !

But it would have been easier if they sold two heights of Bosch underdrive pulley. They sell two, but they are the same height, just different diameters (underdrive or audiophile).

Good to hear, LNC! My correct pulley should be here on the 23rd; looking forward to it!

nike001
02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Did you get blanks? What setup did you get?

I used my old ZKW lights since I have a whole other separate set of AL's that are on my car now. I ended up being able to use the one side that I thought I ruined. We'll see how the JB Weld holds up tomorrow.

danewilson77
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I used my old ZKW lights since I have a whole other separate set of AL's that are on my car now. I ended up being able to use the one side that I thought I ruined. We'll see how the JB Weld holds up tomorrow.

OK...thanks.

That was meant for the fella who got the brakes from Ray.

Ryans323i
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Set up an appointment with a local indy shop, Eurowise in Charlotte, NC, the other day. Going to have them do a oil, tranny and diff fluid change. Also a full inspection on the car. The tech drove it and mentioned the fcabs might need replacing and maybe the tranny mounts since there is a clunky noise when shifting sometimes.

After that I will be on the hunt for some black grills, "whiter" fog bulbs, tint, angel eyes, new tails, side markers and blinkers.

Eurowise is an excellent shop. Good choice!

derbo
02-18-2012, 12:12 AM
got my taillight recall fixed by work. I couldve done it but why not let my techs get paid for it ;)

Meric
02-18-2012, 02:23 AM
About to get a head on hit by some drunk driver. I was going home from friends house. I stopped at the intersection waiting for light to turn green. As I was going the guy from other direction tried to turn left -.- God I litteraly sh!t brix. My brakes are almost gone and i hit the pedal really hard. Anyways no injury no damage i just called it a day. -.-

Hermes
02-18-2012, 03:50 AM
About to get a head on hit by some drunk driver. I was going home from friends house. I stopped at the intersection waiting for light to turn green. As I was going the guy from other direction tried to turn left -.- God I litteraly sh!t brix. My brakes are almost gone and i hit the pedal really hard. Anyways no injury no damage i just called it a day. -.-

Wow, glad you're safe.

John and I ordered our Samco hoses, expecting them in around a month because they need to hand make 15 sets

nike001
02-18-2012, 08:06 AM
I slobbed some new jb weld on my fx-r's last night and today I'll be hooking up the bi-xenon. Does anyone know how to do that?

S85FTW
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
washed it :) funny how whenever she gets dirty I want to sell it and when its clean I love it all over again.

UdubBadger
02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
need to wash today also.

Finally got my corrected hvac relocation panel and some rear tints (20%) too, those will be going in shortly.

ryankokesh
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I slobbed some new jb weld on my fx-r's last night and today I'll be hooking up the bi-xenon. Does anyone know how to do that?

Haha, I was hoping you knew how to do it! :D

I got my fx-r's in the mail today though. I'll probably do it tomorrow. Wait, what does hooking up the bi-xenon mean? I'm re-reading this and it sounds like the fx-r's are already installed?

iZHP
02-18-2012, 01:16 PM
I travel to a lot of unknown destinations for my 2 photography jobs so I need navi. Coulda done Garmin but I need handsfree bluetooth also (which Garmin does, just not well). I am a huge fan for consolidating things efficiently. I don't want a bluetooth headset, iPod dock and Garmin all as separate entities ( and truth be told the iSimple that Eli had in my car before i bought it wasn't reliable so it needed to go).

My choices were either go DICE mediabridge + garmin or dynavin. I chose dynavin just because its all right there on 1 screen and it would also provide a platform for me to upgrade the stereo on (preamps and such).

that being said when I finally got it all dialed in today I turned on the "loud" feature, bumped the bass and treble and turned up the volume... this thing hits pretty hard now. everyone said to expect a loss in sound quality but I'm pretty sure it went up. Maybe its just the newer design - D99 non android V5 - but those 6x9s are hitting like well amped 8's (or even 10s) like in my 135i. I might actually not need to add a sub now. I don't need overpowering deep bass, just tight hard hitting low end. I might replace the door speakers later on but I'm fairly satisfied right now. Good thing too cuz it'll save me $500 or so on the sub setup which means I might be able to do headers instead. ;)

as for my issues, I got a response back from the guys where I purchased it from and they're gonna walk me through setting it all up - even they admitted the user manual sucks ass.

iPhone 4S. Aux cable. Waze GPS free app. Works for me Lol

That sucks. Glad you made it out okay!

nike001
02-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Spent another six hours on my fx-rs today. Got them mounted and ready and found out that there is not a single thing right with these. Rotation on both are way off. The projectors are mounted upwards, so the halogen highs are pointed at the ground, and I couldn't even get the whole housings to fit 100% in my car.

Fx-r idea:scrapped. Back to AL.

az3579
02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Not my ZHP, but today, Steve, Charlie, and I retrofitted BMW Performance brakes to Charlie's ZHP.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

cakM3
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes :) !!! I now have BMW Performance BBKs installed on my ZHP :)

A very big thanks to Steve and BP for their help. All I can say is that these brakes are awesome....well worth the money I spent :biggrin

My project thread is now updated :thumbsup

midlandtech
02-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Lamin-x yellow film on fogs and a black license plate frame

~Steve

Meric
02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
:drool Angel eyes...

UdubBadger
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
yeah those are dope, what AE are those?

UdubBadger
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
iPhone 4S. Aux cable. Waze GPS free app. Works for me Lol

and are you able to play music through the iPod, use GPS and answer calls all through that?

Meric
02-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Oh btw I just found out that i have a huge nail in my passenger side front tire. -.- %(^+%/^&' and its leaking air.. What are my options?

Hornung418
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Plug it, Meric.

Meric
02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I dont need a new one?

Crickett
02-19-2012, 06:25 AM
and are you able to play music through the iPod, use GPS and answer calls all through that?

I have the same setup (except I only have the iP4 :shifty) plus BMW OE Bluetooth, & yes, I can do all of those things; just did yesterday, in fact!

I dont need a new one?

Depends on how close to the sidewall the nail is; if it's fully on the tread, a plug will suffice. A plug and patch is the best option, though.

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 06:53 AM
ah yeah I don't have OEM BT so I'd have to add something

nike001
02-19-2012, 07:10 AM
I dont need a new one?

Is it in the sidewall? If not, plug it.

Hochspannung
02-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Cleaned up my car this morning and put the 135's on!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/418152_10150533020516910_530341909_9436397_6795138 68_n.jpg?dl=1

Ryans323i
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Very clean! :thumbsup

midlandtech
02-19-2012, 01:03 PM
yeah those are dope, what AE are those?

gonna have to ask the wife she got them for me for our anniversary

Meric
02-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Is it in the sidewall? If not, plug it.

It's in the middle of the tire not in the sidewall. It was making weird noice when I was driving.

MrMaico
02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Installed the Bimmian dash mount for my GPS today. I ended up using the Garmin mount on it rather than the one that came with the bracket. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't fine tune where it was pointed with the Bimmian holder. Liking it so far, it's nice to be able to reach it with my elbow on the armrest. Makes it easier to touch where you want on the screen compared to where it was on top of the dash. Getting a few more reflections in this position though.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-333Ci/i-CZNZGNS/0/XL/IMG1559-XL.jpg

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-333Ci/i-cVghrTV/0/XL/IMG1561-XL.jpg

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-333Ci/i-bNZNVZb/0/XL/IMG1548-XL.jpg

danewilson77
02-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Looks good.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MrMaico
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Looks good.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Thanks Dane.....and thanks for the heads up on where to find it. That was the first time I've taken off the dash trim and I hope I don't have to do it many more times. Got pretty nervous having to press in on the edge of the dash getting the trim tool underneath the trim piece. It sure would suck to crack the dash doing that. Maybe the next time I have to do it will be to install a Dynavin. :-)

http://www.bimmian.com/MDM

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
yeah not bad, how is it on the passnager side? look like a bigger guy would knock it around with his knees at all?

az3579
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
yeah not bad, how is it on the passnager side? look like a bigger guy would knock it around with his knees at all?

Doesn't look like it would be a problem. When I sit in my car as a passenger, my knees aren't close enough that area, and I like to keep the seat more forward than most.

Chad44
02-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Took final measurements to make my own 135 front caliper brackets... I bought used front and rear 135 calipers, also ordered stop tech upgraded aluminum pistons for the calipers... I should have e82 6 piston brembos on the ZHP by the end of the month.

Sent from Tapatalk

nike001
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Broke tabs on my DEPO front corners.. so I need new clears.

DEPO or OEM? I have a feeling that the fam' is going to say OEM for obvious reasons. Buuut I'm a bit tight on the moula ($$)

Dotpage
02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-333Ci/i-CZNZGNS/0/XL/IMG1559-XL.jpg

DW, that's not the one you have, right? I like the one that mounts above the vent, where did you get that?

danewilson77
02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
DW, that's not the one you have, right? I like the one that mounts above the vent, where did you get that?

I built that one. Want it?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Dotpage
02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
yes!

danewilson77
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
yes!

OK. PM me your address.

Here is my diy for future use.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268220&highlight=Mount

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

gr330zhp
02-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Vanos seals
Anti-rattle kit
Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
Oil change

And put about 150 miles on her :)

jorbon
02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Cleaned my new-to-me 03 for the first time. Have to say, yes, I won... The car is in remarkable condition for a 9 year old car. 40k miles and hardly a mark on it, inside or out.

The 'tell' when I went to see it? The previous owner had the original mats covered by carpet mats. No big deal right, lots of us do that... Well, those mats he was using to protect the factory mats? --They were covered by plastic mats!

Just a quickie, no great detailing job, but the car looks great. I liked the silver gray/gray 05 I bought new back in 05, but I really love the TiAg/black so much better (just me- not knocking those of you who have that combo).

Johnmadd
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
^looks great

gr330zhp
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Cleaned my new-to-me 03 for the first time. Have to say, yes, I won... The car is in remarkable condition for a 9 year old car. 40k miles and hardly a mark on it, inside or out.

The 'tell' when I went to see it? The previous owner had the original mats covered by carpet mats. No big deal right, lots of us do that... Well, those mats he was using to protect the factory mats? --They were covered by plastic mats!

Just a quickie, no great detailing job, but the car looks great. I liked the silver gray/gray 05 I bought new back in 05, but I really love the TiAg/black so much better (just me- not knocking those of you who have that combo).

Personally, I was never huge on silver, but your car may have just changed that for me. :) Damnnn, looks soo good, especially with those tails!

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Cooling system tomorrow. Also doing ud pulleys and grabbing a used base support.

ryankokesh
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Cooling system tomorrow. Also doing ud pulleys and grabbing a used base support.

I used whatchamwhosit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 10:18 PM
huh? :dunno

ryankokesh
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I have no idea what a base support is, and haven't yet worked up the motivation to google it. If you wait long enough I'll figure it out for myself...

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Lol

Roof rack

UdubBadger
02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Saw u pm'ed me but didn't deliver, cleared my box. Resend plz.

Meric
02-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Finally my angel eyes are on its way to me!

01/31/2012 Payment Pending
01/31/2012 Payment Pending
01/31/2012 Pending PayPal Jan 31, 2012 16:41:57 PST
Transaction ID: ....
01/31/2012 Pending As stated on our site, PHO463WXA is currently out of stock and back ordered. Your order will ship as soon as available.
02/17/2012 Shipped
02/17/2012 Backordered

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Finally my angel eyes are on its way to me!

01/31/2012Payment Pending
01/31/2012Payment Pending
01/31/2012PendingPayPal Jan 31, 2012 16:41:57 PST
Transaction ID: ....
01/31/2012PendingAs stated on our site, PHO463WXA is currently out of stock and back ordered. Your order will ship as soon as available.
02/17/2012Shipped
02/17/2012Backordered

Hopefully, even though it says, "02/17/2012Shipped, 02/17/2012Backordered"

At the end.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Woah I didn't really pay attention to that part. Wth is this?? Im really pushing myself from canceling the order.

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Just give them a call. It very well could mean, that they got one in, which they shipped to you, and now the product is in a backordered status.

Just sayin..........

nike001
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Ordered OEM front clears from turner since my DEPO ones broke.

Also noticed up/down scratches on my hood for the whole length of it. That's the last time I'm washing my car at work again...

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Ordered OEM front clears from turner since my DEPO ones broke.

Also noticed up/down scratches on my hood for the whole length of it. That's the last time I'm washing my car at work again...

Mmmm....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
After a month of collecting gunk, I washed all that gunk off. I even cleaned the inside of the windows and the door jambs. My car is sparkling.

midlandtech
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
it decided to rain here today so I took the time while the car was garaged to clean the alcantera on the steering wheel via the DIY instructions... I was really surprised with the amount of yuck that came off the wheel between the warm micro fiber towel and the magic eraser (didn't do the optional suede cleaner steps) it looks much much better and its not even dry yet :roundel

nike001
02-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Mmmm....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

It's bad. I need a good detail.. It's a shame I can't make it to the reunion since I was planning on having someone giving me a detailing crash course. I feel like my last detail using a clay bar marred my paint because it's way cloudy. But I've been quoted 400-1000 for a professional detailer to do it. So uh, I'd rather not go that course since I don't have enough money to burn. Hell, it was a stretch to buy my clears since I just bought other things for my car and thought I'd be good for a while..

MrMaico
02-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Doesn't look like it would be a problem. When I sit in my car as a passenger, my knees aren't close enough that area, and I like to keep the seat more forward than most.

I suppose if the guy or girl were 6' 4" or above and they had there feet up closer to the seat they could hit it but if you just move your feet lower it's easy to avoid. But with your feet up against the front of the floorboard it's no problem.

I probably should have just bought a Dynavin instead of spending so much on a GPS but I wanted it for the gauges (coolant temp mainly) as much as for the GPS. But now that Dynavin has an OBC I might have to think about getting one.

Washed it today too, first time since about Thanksgiving. Been able to drive it quite a bit this winter with the nice weather and it stayed pretty clean if I California Dustered it after every drive. No snow to be found around here and the frozen Missouri River is even breaking up today. It's a balmy 46 degrees right now.

Meric
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Can you tell if brake discs are done from just looking ?

midlandtech
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
run your finger along the disc and if you feel ridges/grooves on them they are shot.. if your doing just pads you should look at getting the rotors turned at a minimum (assuming they are turnable)

danewilson77
02-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Can you tell if brake discs are done from just looking ?

Look at the rotor thickness minimum spec, stamped on the rotor hat, then measure them.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4498/img0940gj.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/504/img0941v.jpg

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9327/img0942i.jpg

No ridges.

Meric
02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Less than 2 mm deep.

nike001
02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd do the rotors anyways... but that's just me.

Meric
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd do the rotors anyways... but that's just me.

Yeah it would be better to do all of them.

nike001
02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah it would be better to do all of them.

Exactly. Better to get everything new and together IMO

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
So today I took my headlight apart trying to figure out the FX-R install/burnt bowl solution. I got it all apart and wussed out when I realized I didn't have a freaking clue what I was doing. So that took me about a good six hours... which should indicate to you I have no business doing this in the first place :D

nike001
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
:rofl better luck next time. Maybe the e90 projectors are more suitable for you.

das boots
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Took in my '03 E39 530i to BMW San Diego for a supposedly VANOS repair under warranty, got a E90 '11 328i AW III Sedan as a loaner. Woo Hoo! BTW, ended up not a VANOS repair is required. But opened up a can of worms on the 5er....and I see big $$$$ flying away.....the can of worms not covered on warranty.

S85FTW
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Dremelled the sides of the cf hood more. Sitting much more flush on the sides now. In the spring I will be sending it to a body shop for custom fiber glass fab work around the headlights. From there it will get resprayed all silver and will be complete!

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
:rofl better luck next time. Maybe the e90 projectors are more suitable for you.

lmao.... I think paying someone else to do it is more suitable for me. Either that or I need to be drinking the next time I try it :shift

Or I could just hold out until bmw recalls them... and pigs fly. Mine are actually burnt right through the bowl. Like as in there's a hole in my bowl. And it's not the hole the bulb goes through, lol. How is this not a fire hazard?!?!?! Especially being right next to a gas engine...

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Are any members local to you? I cringe deeply thinking of you paying someone to do that retrofit. Totally custom work and anyone that would touch it would gouge the hell out of you.

Hell box them up and ship them to someone before you do that, or at least pay lightwerkz to do it.

nike001
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Are any members local to you? I cringe deeply thinking of you paying someone to do that retrofit. Totally custom work and anyone that would touch it would gouge the hell out of you.

Hell box them up and ship them to someone before you do that, or at least pay lightwerkz to do it.

lmao.... I think paying someone else to do it is more suitable for me. Either that or I need to be drinking the next time I try it :shift

Or I could just hold out until bmw recalls them... and pigs fly. Mine are actually burnt right through the bowl. Like as in there's a hole in my bowl. And it's not the hole the bulb goes through, lol. How is this not a fire hazard?!?!?! Especially being right next to a gas engine...

I PM'ed 2 retrofitters on hidplanet.com: Lightwerkz & LightModz. I was quoted $250-300 & $360 (respectively) and LightModz PM'ed me back a long paragraph telling me on how he has had experience with these lights, what he will do, their waiting room, how long it'll take, and also things that he'll do for me. LightWerkz PM'ed me back 2 sentences. I PM'ed back LightModz and they responded very fast saying how they appreciate me asking them and how they hope to hear back from me soon. Very professional people. It almost makes me want to do it now for their awesome customer service. I already know who I'll be going with.

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
$360!!! For what....4 hours work? Wow. I apparently need to get out of my years of school for a desk job gig and into the dremel-and-jb-weld-shit-together business. :facepalm:facepalm

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
That's good to hear - I had a good experience ordering from Lightwerkz, but I didn't even know that LightModz existed! I think I'm going to read the diy's a few more times and work up the courage to try again. Maybe someone will come out with an uber-diy :)

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
$360!!! For what....4 hours work? Wow. I apparently need to get out of my years of school for a desk job gig and into the dremel-and-jb-weld-shit-together business. :facepalm:facepalm

LOL, I could actually probably drive down to Georgia and have you help me for that price :)

nike001
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
$360!!! For what....4 hours work? Wow. I apparently need to get into the dremel-and-jb-weld-shit-together business. :facepalm:facepalm

You can do mine then. I failed with mine:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/6c39b062.jpg

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 06:50 PM
i just got edit/quote busted! shameface.

If it was a spare set of headlights I'd say mail them to me and I'd do it for cost of supplies. Maybe you guys need to add a FXR retrofit session to the beast coast meet.

nike001
02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
It is a spare set of headlights. :)

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Did you jbweld the stuff in there?

nike001
02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Yep. I was going to start dremeling and taking that all out tomorrow maybe.

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
get yourself a spare battery and hot wire the projectors on a known level table. level up the beam pattern live, clamp, then JB weld.

not sure what projectors you have but my approach would be to JB weld in a feature to the housing structure that allows 3 axis adjustment and mount the projectors to that, just so this doesn't happen again. check out mcmcaster carr, get creative. confident this can be done and be robust, adjustable, and professional.

nike001
02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Good idea. I don't plan on messing with these myself for a long time though. I spent way too much time on these the past 2 weekends.

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
This is from the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm) outlining examples of problems that warrant a recall:

Examples of defects considered safety-related

Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.
Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.
Accelerator controls that may break or stick.
Wheels that crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.
Engine cooling fan blades that break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.
Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly.
Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.
Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.
Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting.
Car ramps or jacks that may collapse and cause injury to someone working on a vehicle.
Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to deploy.
Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles, or components that create a risk of injury, not only in a vehicle crash but also in non-operational safety of a motor vehicle.

I'd argue that this should actually be a recall...

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
$1240, 10 hours of labor/waiting, 1 ECS stage III cooling system with a faulty expansion tank, Rouge UD pulley set, and some other general labor and my day was tiring as all hell and I'm walking funny. Gotta start saving for rims now. :(

zj96sc
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Man oh man. I don't know how you non-DIYers do it! At least you're done with it.

ryankokesh
02-20-2012, 07:47 PM
that suuuuuuucks

UdubBadger
02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
the cooling kit is what did it ($700). when you break down my labor costs it was under $23/hr and I woulda been FUCKED had this happened with me doing it instead of the shop. some of the labor was also from last time I was there too.

nike001
02-20-2012, 08:09 PM
This is from the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm) outlining examples of problems that warrant a recall:

I'd argue that this should actually be a recall...

I sent a few kind words to LightModz about how I appreciate his help and he sent me an offer for a group buy. He said if I can get five (5) people together for retrofits, he'll offer a great discount for us all who are interested. I'll start a thread after I talk to Jay from LightModz a little bit more. For now, if you're interested in his services, PM me so we can maybe get a 'sort of' list going.

Hornung418
02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
If it's under $525 shipped, I'd potentially down.

p.s. Hit up Mark for the go ahead to get this started.

nike001
02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I just sent him a PM. I'll message you when I know the details.

az3579
02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
If it's under $525 shipped, I'd potentially down.

p.s. Hit up Mark for the go ahead to get this started.

I hope that includes all hardware as well...
I might do this if that's the case. My lighting is awesome, but the FX-R is just that much better...

Not ready yet though. :(

cakM3
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Yep.....FX-Rs the way to go if you know how to retrofit them right :thumbsup

ryankokesh
02-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Yep.....FX-Rs the way to go if you know how to retrofit them right :thumbsup

Very key part of this post: "if you know how to retrofit them right" :)

Meric
02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Ordered new tires. 1 grand...

danewilson77
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Which? PSS's?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Which? PSS's?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

He said there is only 1 left in Calgary. -.-

danewilson77
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
He said there is only 1 left in Calgary. -.-

One?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Yes only 1 PSS. -.-

UdubBadger
02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
escort hard wire installed.

any of you guys have it with the small display/mute button? I'm wondering if the location I chose for it could be better as it covers up the far right side of my hvac controls now. I mounted it below the overhang on the center dash - far right side.

danewilson77
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes only 1 PSS. -.-

Meric, what tires did you end up getting?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryankokesh
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
escort hard wire installed.

any of you guys have it with the small display/mute button? I'm wondering if the location I chose for it could be better as it covers up the far right side of my hvac controls now. I mounted it below the overhang on the center dash - far right side.

Pics?

UdubBadger
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Pics?

easy bro what you think I am a professional photographer or something? :p

UdubBadger
02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
A non pro photo just for u

ryankokesh
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Nice silver cube!

FWIW, I stuck mine in my cigarette/coin compartment.

And I'm really judging you for that photo... should have got a professional to take it. Or at least someone who knows what they're doing. :shifty

UdubBadger
02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
it's not silver - i swear.

Nomar06
02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Took it to the shop today....from now on I hope to DIY what I can. Now I can shop for some goodies for the car.

Eurowise
2/21/2012
76400 miles

Services done:

Synthetic oil change, filter & lubrication.

Change Differential and gearbox oil.

PostPI :shifty
Technician mentioned car is "really clean and in great condition for a dealer car"

Technician notes:

Valve cover gasket has a bit of oil around it but it looks fairly new. Maybe replaced but not cleaned. (was told it was changed a month ago when I purchased the car)
Airboot starting to crack, not bad yet.
Misfire faults stored.

Recommended repairs:

Replace control arm bushings, tire alignment.
Replace PCV valve...(borderline passing)
1. Crankcase vent valve
1. Breather hose (11 61 1 432 559)
1. Oil separator hose
1. Breather hose (11 15 7 532 649)
1. Breather hose (11 61 7 504 536)

How much is it for the parts to do the PCV? One of the guys there just upgraded to a S/C so he wont need those parts. He said he would sell me what I need it for $75. Sounds reasonable to you all?

nike001
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Whats PCV? Also, what did you get charged for a diff & gearbox fluid change?

Meric
02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Meric, what tires did you end up getting?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

No idea.. I feel so empty atm.

Nomar06
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Whats PCV? Also, what did you get charged for a diff & gearbox fluid change?

BMW PCV Valve – Crankcase Ventilation / Oil Separator – M54

Looks like it was $120 for the diff and gear box.

jayjay_dee
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Got my ZHP eurocharged... :roundel (actually, last Friday, 02/17/12)

see my review here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6254-Eurocharged-MD-DC-VA-Dyno-day-and-track-event-2-17-2-18&p=154312#post154312)...

Meric
02-21-2012, 09:36 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2151/img0949ti.jpg

Spare tire. :(

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Took it to the shop today....from now on I hope to DIY what I can. Now I can shop for some goodies for the car.

Eurowise
2/21/2012
76400 miles

Services done:

Synthetic oil change, filter & lubrication.

Change Differential and gearbox oil.

PostPI :shifty
Technician mentioned car is "really clean and in great condition for a dealer car"

Technician notes:

Valve cover gasket has a bit of oil around it but it looks fairly new. Maybe replaced but not cleaned. (was told it was changed a month ago when I purchased the car)
Airboot starting to crack, not bad yet.
Misfire faults stored.

Recommended repairs:

Replace control arm bushings, tire alignment.
Replace PCV valve...(borderline passing)
1. Crankcase vent valve
1. Breather hose (11 61 1 432 559)
1. Oil separator hose
1. Breather hose (11 15 7 532 649)
1. Breather hose (11 61 7 504 536)

How much is it for the parts to do the PCV? One of the guys there just upgraded to a S/C so he wont need those parts. He said he would sell me what I need it for $75. Sounds reasonable to you all?

Would be curious to know what they did for "Lubrication".

No idea.. I feel so empty atm.

I thought you said you spent $1000 on tires? My bust.

nike001
02-22-2012, 06:28 AM
BMW PCV Valve – Crankcase Ventilation / Oil Separator – M54

Looks like it was $120 for the diff and gear box.

Oh CCV. Yeah, get that done. Not by them though.. you'll end up being $500-700 poorer when you leave the door. Find an indy to do it.
I can't really give you much here from my side because I knew I wouldn't be able to DIY it because of cramped space and seemingly 'blind' work you have to do. I paid my dealer $250 to do mine w/ my employee discount. They saved my ass bigtime on that one.

zj96sc
02-22-2012, 07:11 AM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2151/img0949ti.jpg

Spare tire. :(

What happened?

You and your gorgeous green. Looked forever for that color.

Meric
02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Tires gave up on me..

I didnt know you liked oxfordgreen. Its really hard to like this color for the first time but then it sinks in. :D

Ryans323i
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Oh CCV. Yeah, get that done. Not by them though.. you'll end up being $500-700 poorer when you leave the door. Find an indy to do it.
I can't really give you much here from my side because I knew I wouldn't be able to DIY it because of cramped space and seemingly 'blind' work you have to do. I paid my dealer $250 to do mine w/ my employee discount. They saved my ass bigtime on that one.

Eurowise is an Indy. And they're a great shop, honestly. I'd let them work on my Lucy. They should be able to quote the job before they do it, so you'll know how much to expect.

I'm curious about this "lubrication" too. Maybe it means they dipped their finger in the oil and rubbed it on the oil filter housing lid's o-ring?

zj96sc
02-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Tires gave up on me..

I didnt know you liked oxfordgreen. Its really hard to like this color for the first time but then it sinks in. :D

My dad has had almost identical color '83 911SC since I've been alive. As a result, always had a thing for green as homage to that car, and also because of how unique it is....rarely see sports cars in that color. My first car (grand cherokee) was hunter green, loved it. Hunted forever for an oxford on modena E36M while I was into those, never found one. Did the same for the ZHP and struck out again. You've got one lucky find there.

One day.

Meric
02-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Yes its a rare colour maybe I'm the only one in Alberta.

derbo
02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Put a new power steering cap gasket :) under 2 dollars for no top leaks! http://img.tapatalk.com/619ae655-47d2-8588.jpg

midlandtech
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Got my phone mount today and was geeked to install it but my virology instructor had other plans and scheduled a test for tomorrow.... Looks like I get to stare at it over a book while studying single stranded RNA viruses =(

~Steve

az3579
02-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Pre-soaked and rinsed off the dirt that's been sitting on the car for two weeks.

For some reason I was hoping that all the brake dust would magically come off my wheels. I was sorely wrong. :(

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Pre-soaked and rinsed off the dirt that's been sitting on the car for two weeks.

For some reason I was hoping that all the brake dust would magically come off my wheels. I was sorely wrong. :(

Stall wash?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Planned on hand washing my car but it got cold by the time my front clears came in at around 4. Since I was running with NO front corners, I just had my amber bulbs sitting by the inner fender. Gave me a good idea of what my car would look like with smoked corners :rofl

So I took her to the self-serve place and washed her there. Then got home and took out my weather-tech floormats for my carpeted ones since we're not getting any snow anways and I miss my carpet. I'm really tempted to put my summers back on since my front winters are iffy and I'd like to re-do my plasti-dip on my rims because it's flaking; or just paint them normally. This is our local forecast for the next week:
http://local.wnep.com/transfers/7day.jpg

Meric
02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Ahaha those numbers doesn't make any sense to me. :D

spencers
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Gave the car a much needed bath

UdubBadger
02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
finally got my hvac relocation in. now the hardwire i had done yesterday doesn't work cuz the guy ran the cord out the hvac side instead of thru the glove box like I asked him to. ARGHHHHHHH

back to get it redone tomorrow.

GMATT
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Lifted the cover....!@#$%^&*() Damn that car looks good, can't wait to drive it!:party

ryankokesh
02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
finally got my hvac relocation in. now the hardwire i had done yesterday doesn't work cuz the guy ran the cord out the hvac side instead of thru the glove box like I asked him to. ARGHHHHHHH

back to get it redone tomorrow.

Ugh. Fun fun fun....

az3579
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Stall wash?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Stall rinse. I didn't ONR the car like I had planned; got too lazy.
Wheels also haven't been wiped down. Also too lazy for that.

Probably tomorrow.

acontzhp
02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Replaced my DISA unit today with a new one. The one in the car was in horrible shape with incredible play, i'm lucky nothing broke off and flew into the engine. replacing the unit got rid of codes P0151 and P0154. also got my vcg in the mail today now just waiting for the beisan vanos and rattle kit to get here as well and will be doing that soon.

UdubBadger
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Ugh. Fun fun fun....

No. I'm feeling like my life is spent in shop waiting rooms

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Replaced my DISA unit today with a new one. The one in the car was in horrible shape with incredible play, i'm lucky nothing broke off and flew into the engine. replacing the unit got rid of codes P0151 and P0154. also got my vcg in the mail today now just waiting for the beisan vanos and rattle kit to get here as well and will be doing that soon.

You may want to consider throwing this data into its own, appropriately named thread. That way someone searching those codes will be able to easily find it.

Well done.

I love it when we win, and fixing "x" cleared "y" codes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

acontzhp
02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
You may want to consider throwing this data into its own, appropriately named thread. That way someone searching those codes will be able to easily find it.

Well done.

I love it when we win, and fixing "x" cleared "y" codes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Will Do

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Meric, what tires did you get!?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Meric, what tires did you get!?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Didnt buy it yet but its good year i think :S

Marcus-SanDiego
02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Bought new shoes for the X5. Four non-runflat tires. The OEM runflats are $2100. Ouch.

ryankokesh
02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Wow, that ain't cheap. Did it come with a spare since it came with run flats?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
No spare tire.

UdubBadger
02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
which ones you go with marcus?

derbo
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/61b58245-8681-3ac3.jpg

Tehee

Meric
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
@Dane I think it's called Yokohoma S Drive.

@Derbo Heated?? :P nicee

S85FTW
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
No more Alcantara in my car!!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/krisgt30/leatherwheel.jpg