Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Codes, codes everywhere!

Mafiosos,
    I am in the middle of code hell. It all started when my coolant temp sensor went bad. I replaced that without a hitch, it was surprisingly easy. In the process I pulled off the air cleaner just so I could get a better look at the expansion tank to make sure that didn't have any cracks.
    I got a code, initially for running the car with the MAF disconnected when I was making sure that there was enough coolant in the car (running it, cold, with the rad cap off). That went away after a couple of restarts in normal driving.
    Now my car is throwing codes for both cam position sensors, the mass air sensor, air temp, and sparkplug sensor.

I've gotten the safemode stall immediately after start twice. The valves are louder than usual and if I play with the gas I get a clicking sound when the revs start to drop.

What demon has possessed my car?

The specific codes I'm getting are as follows:
    P0304 CPS A
    p0365 CPS B
    P1318 Sparkplug detection module reset circut malfunction

The logged codes are:
    P0304
    P0365
    P0102 MAF circuit low input
    P0113 Air temp circuit high input
    P1318

Sounds like something isn't plugged in properly or maybe got bumped loose.

Disconnect your exhaust cps and reconnect it.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Would the exhaust CPS being wonky be enough to domino everything else?

Dunno for sure. That's why I recommend checking it. Plus, I could see it getting bumped/snagged while changing out coolant temp sensor.

I do know a failed CPS will wreck havok on the E46.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The housing for the exhaust sensor is cracked, but it's been since I did my engine swap. I remember, now, that my mechanic said that he tried swapping that exhaust cps with the one from my old motor and it threw a code so he just put the other one back on. Maybe it's just decided to finally take a shit. The extra fun part is that my local dealer is in the process of being bought out so they cant make any parts orders until Friday.

Ugh.

Sounds like there's some history with the sensor I mentioned.

Would be nice if you had a buddy you could swap sensors with. Then clear codes and see how she runs.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

I may just end up driving to where my old engine is and pull the sensors off of that and see if it clears any codes. It'll give me an excuse to get my fuel filter done, at any rate.

It seems that the problem was in the connector. My guy cut the connector off of my old wiring harness and soldered it on to the current one. Problem solved. I guess it just got cooked and wasn't making a good connection anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiah119 View Post
    It seems that the problem was in the connector. My guy cut the connector off of my old wiring harness and soldered it on to the current one. Problem solved. I guess it just got cooked and wasn't making a good connection anymore.
    The connector on the exhaust CPS?

Yeah, the housing on the connector didn't appear to be all there, and the housing on the old exhaust CPS was cracked and left the connector exposed to more heat and rain\dirt\anything elese that would have been kicked up from driving. The code for the intake CPS went away on its own. And we couldn't figure out what the third code was actually for because BMW's readers don't display codes in that format, the only way to find out would have been to take it to a dealer and have them scan, which wasn't worth having my curiosity satisfied. We also pulled the exhaust CPS out of my old block that is still sitting in my mechanic's garage so I get to try to take the one I bought from BMW back.