Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Echo's first detailing session

This past weekend I spent seven quality hours with Echo, giving her as thorough a workover as can be done by hand.

I don't have any 'before' pictures, but a bunch of you saw how cruddy she was on the March 5th meetup. The car had only gotten dirtier since then.

I'm relieved to say that the paint itself is in relatively good condition. It's due for a polishing to remove the swirls that I do see on most surfaces, but there are no rock chips on the hood or any other significant damage spots elsewhere. I don't yet have a polisher, so that treatment will have to come later.

What I did manage to accomplish was the following:

1. Full wheel & tire cleaning
    2. Full mitt wash
    3. Full exterior clay bar
    4. Quick rewash
    5. Door jamb/trunk/engine bay cleaning
    6. Wax

I have a secret weapon that I absolutely swear by - the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system:

It's a pretty average soap-dispensing hose attachment that only does an okay job of washing the car... though it actually works pretty well in place of quick-detailer spray when I'm claying the car. But the real benefit to this thing is that it has a special filter cartridge that removes all minerals from your water supply, allowing you to spray a post-rinse mist that air dries to a spot-free finish, no chamois required. That alone is worth more than the cost of the unit. They're discontinued, but still available from Amazon and other online sources.

Anyway, here are the results; I'm really happy with how well she came out. The paint is positively slippery now.

Just a wee bit of headlight condensation. Gone now, but something I'll have to look into later.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

Looking awesome!!

What shade of black is that exactly??

Thanks, man! I was told she's Jet Black; my VIN options list states the color as "SCHWARZ 2 (668)".

Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

Quote Originally Posted by RITmusic2k View Post
    Thanks, man! I was told she's Jet Black; my VIN options list states the color as "SCHWARZ 2 (668)".
    Hmmm...what does the label say on the strut mount??

Looks great.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sure wish the bottom of my front bumper shined like that, maybe I can get DW to hook me up.

Quote Originally Posted by RITmusic2k View Post
    668 is Jet Black.

My favorite.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Looks Good, Clean those exhaust tips though

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Any suggestions on how to clean the pipes?

I tried scrubbing with soap, using the clay bar, etc., all to no avail.

Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

I think we have an entire thread (or several posts) dedictaed to that very thing.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast