Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adjusting coilover ride height

Hey guys, so on the new m3 I picked there is a set of bimmerworld ISC N1 coilovers installed. They are probably the cheapest you can buy so we will see how well they hold up. As it sits they handle amazing, much better than the oe zhp setup IMO. My problem is that they are way too low for my liking. My front tires rub, the back is too low relative to front, and the camber is set more negative than I would like it to be(worried about tread wear).

I have no clue on the first thing to do with them. I emailed the company and got a set of "instructions" that I will attach below. I will also attach some pictures. Please help me know what to do.

Rear:

-Holden
    Last edited by hcbeck2689; 04-16-2016 at 01:41 PM.

These?

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I also would like a "adjusting coilovers for dummies" write up. The instructions I have for my bc coilovers are similar, just seems like it should be easier to explain than that.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    These?

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Yes Dane, I think those are them. I will add pictures to original post.

You should just be able to unlock the collars, front and back, with the provided spanner wrenches to adjust the ride height. Remember that the springs are the only thing that significantly affects ride height.

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

As far as dampening adjustment goes, you should just be able to play with the top adjustment knobs to tweak it in to your ride comfort/performance requirements.

Sent from an S6 Edge

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    You should just be able to unlock the collars, front and back, with the provided spanner wrenches to adjust the ride height. Remember that the springs are the only thing that significantly affects ride height.

Sent from an S6 Edge
    I will claim ignorance and admit that I have no idea how to unlock collars. Also I don't think the car came with any wrenches I'm sure I can find some though. Maybe someone in the Mafia will be in Wilmington one day enjoying our beautiful Beaches and can give me a hand. Otherwise I'm sure I can find someone who knows how to do it here. I just have no fellow car wrencher friends here.

You see the two golden gear looking things in the middle next to the spring. They are close to each other like two nuts on a bolt holding the spring in place. Well...the bottom one is tight up against the top one holding the spring in place. Loosen the bottom one and the top will freely move to lower the spring or tighten the top and follow with the bottom to compress the spring. Make sense?

In order to get a higher ride height you want more of the threads showing so compressing the spring should do that. In reality it won't be compressing the spring but allowing more tube travel because you'll extend the tube side.

On my old motorcycle and my car I use screw drivers or a hex wrench. Anything will work really. You just need to break the "seal" by tapping the nut that is tight up against the other...lefty Lucy, righty tighty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    You see the two golden gear looking things in the middle next to the spring. They are close to each other like two nuts on a bolt holding the spring in place. Well...the bottom one is tight up against the top one holding the spring in place. Loosen the bottom one and the top will freely move to lower the spring or tighten the top and follow with the bottom to compress the spring. Make sense?

In order to get a higher ride height you want more of the threads showing so compressing the spring should do that. In reality it won't be compressing the spring but allowing more tube travel because you'll extend the tube side.

On my old motorcycle and my car I use screw drivers or a hex wrench. Anything will work really. You just need to break the "seal" by tapping the nut that is tight up against the other...lefty Lucy, righty tighty

That makes a bit more sense. I'm confused why there is no spring over my rear shock in the picture. Is this not the part or is it actually not a coilover?

The rear springs are not on the shock like the front strut. They are between the body and the control arm (I think). So no...not a coilover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast