Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DISA humming continued over a minute after engine turned off

As the title says, i've notice twice in the last three days where the DISA (could also be the ICV, but I think the DISA) will continue humming/soft buzzing for a minute or over after the engine is shut off. I know normally it will hum for a few seconds then you can hear the valve shut, but this lasts for at least a minute if not two. I tried turning the ignition on and off, locking and unlocking the doors, but nothing would stop it from humming. It eventually stopped on it's own each time. I did some searches, but nothing pinpointed what i'm experiencing. Any ideas? Thanks

Oh! btw, this car did have the DISA replaced at 71,000 miles on Jul '08. IT has 111,000 right now.

They all do that I think. It's neither of those two though but I forget what it is exactly. Secondary air pump maybe? It's something to do with the pollution control system.

hmm...i'm not sure. I think it's the disa because when the humming stops i hear a valve shut. It's not the first louder valve shutting, but the second quieter one. Most of the time it only lasts 5-10sec but i've caught it going for over a minute...

SAP also has a valve. Which is very prone to failure as water can enter and rust it. So if you are hearing a valve shut it could be many things. I wouldn't rule out the SAP.

Some facts about the Adjuster Unit or DISA Valve: When the car is off, the DISA is open or de-energized. At idle speed, the DISA is closed. Above 4100rpm ECU opens the flap to allow for scavenging across the intake and closes when you dip below 3750rpm.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Alright. i better look into that since both of you suggested that. Thanks!

However, just looking, the sap is on the passenger side...the sound is definitely coming from right around the disa area or below

Quote Originally Posted by hillhucker View Post
    Alright. i better look into that since both of you suggested that. Thanks!
    I searched for a while yesterday trying to find some info on what I was referring to and didn't really find anything so now I'm not so sure. I just can't see any reason though for the DISA or ICV to be doing anything (for that long) after the car is shut down though. I did find a couple posts saying it's the ICV though so maybe you're right.

My car does it too but I never really tried to figure out where it's coming from. I'll have to check it out next time I hear it.

Are you positive, its not the accessory circuit discharging?

Unplug your disa, before you shut your car off, and see if the hum is still there...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Are you positive, its not the accessory circuit discharging?

Unplug your disa, before you shut your car off, and see if the hum is still there...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    It sounds like a hum, like maybe some type of small electric pump running possibly. I'm not even sure if it does it every time. Like I said, never really worried about it so I haven't tried to find where it's coming from. Just thought it was one of those "they all do that" things. I assumed it was maybe something to do with the fuel vapor recovery system, purging vapors from the fuel tank maybe? I thought I had read something along those lines but now a search isn't turning up much info.

I'll try unplugging the DISA next time I hear it.

EDIT: See posts 10 & 11.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496928

But if hh is hearing it on the left side of the engine his may be something different.

I'm hearing it on the driver's side in the disa/icv/tb area. I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned with, but i will unplug things next time it continues to hum for minutes to rule things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast