Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nail in tire

nail in tire

getting into my car today i noticed what i thought to be a pebble lodged in the tread of my rear driver's side tire. upon closer inspection i learned it is actually the head of a nail. i'm amazed the tire still holds pressure. obviously i want to fix this. but part of me is curious how dangerous it actually is to drive with the tire as-is. here's a pic:

the tires have less than 1,000 miles on them. kinda pissed and not sure exactly what to do. advice is appreciated!
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

That is an easy plug in my opinion. Any tire shop can do it. There are even decent kits you can buy and DIY. If you have an air compressor.
    Not a big deal deal, but do it asap just in case.
    -ADAM

Good info in this link.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

I would have it properly plugged/patched.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    That is an easy plug in my opinion. Any tire shop can do it. There are even decent kits you can buy and DIY. If you have an air compressor.
    Not a big deal deal, but do it asap just in case.
    Just a word of caution on this.

Plugging from the outside (like you do with the DIY kits) is not recognized by NHTSA as an acceptable tire repair.

Did a lot of research on this when they were trying to get away with plugging our cars at work.

Plugging also negates the manufacturer's speed rating fire the tire.

ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Just a word of caution on this.

Plugging from the outside (like you do with the DIY kits) is not recognized by NHTSA as an acceptable tire repair.

Did a lot of research on this when they were trying to get away with plugging our cars at work.

Plugging also negates the manufacturer's speed rating fire the tire.

Agreed. Part of why I called it decent. I have easily plugged 30 tires (commercial vehicles) in my day, and only had 1 issue. Figured Id throw it in there in case his car was flat in the driveway.
    -ADAM

Agreed. Part of why I called it decent. I have easily plugged 30 tires (commercial vehicles) in my day, and only had 1 issue. Figured Id throw it in there in case his car was flat in the driveway.
    Yup. Got that. KG was just throwing up a "word of caution"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Gotcha, buddy. All good. Just wanted to put the info out there.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

went through this twice in the last 3 months, on 2 different cars - tire place just plugged/patched it and both tires were good to go, and drove as usual.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Easy fix. Take in to a shop and get it fixed.

I bought my tires from a local shop here in SD, which does not charge to fix or plug.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Having it plugged right now. Fortunately there is a mexican restaurant across the parking lot from the discount tire so I can have a margarita while I wait =)
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast