Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Project: Stealth Bomber - The Build

As many of you know from my teaser thread, I'm going to be swapping out my current engine, an M54B25 with 165,xxx and burnt piston rings, with an M54B30 that has 50,xxx miles.

Those who have been following my other thread will also know that the engine I received was not in the best of conditions. I was reminded by the guy who salvaged and shipped it to me that it is out of a wrecked car. I kinda got the short end of the deal but, you live and learn. I will be working with what I have and making the best of it.

So, the build begins....

2012-08-22 19.44.30 by static667, on Flickr

That's her. That's what I will be working with.

So far, I've installed my spark plugs to close up the holes that go directly into the cylinders. This weekend, I'll probably be pulling off the oil pan and timing cover for some fun work. I plan on putting some loc-tite on my oil pump nut and possibly even "peening" the threads on it to keep the nut from ever coming off. While I'm behind the timing cover, I'll be replacing my stock timing chain tensioner with that of an M3. Time permitting, of course.

Stay tuned, kids! There is a lot more fun to be had here.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

So I started tooling around with the new engine the other day. Getting some of the maintenance stuff taken care of before the install. It didn't take long to hit a snag. I was in the process of removing the timing chain cover when I found a bolt that I couldn't get to. The E8 torx socket I have was too short to reach the center bolt.

So, I had to order one.

Otherwise, everything under the valve cover looks ok.

I also replaced the front crank oil seal. As you can see, the old one was leaking a bit.

While I wait for the socket to show up, I'll be working on the oil pump nut. Stay tuned, kids. There are more chills and thrills to come...
    Last edited by static667; 08-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Further reservations....

Another space for the build...

You guessed it, more space.

Looking forward to seeing your progress Kyle

Sorry to hear that you have some setbacks on your build though.....after it's all said and done...you will have an awesome car again...

looking forward to seeing you get this done

Me too. I hope to be getting some help from Mr. Hornung when it comes time for the swap.

In!

Horney...via TT.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Kyle...they have an improved OPN available, specifically designed to prevent it coming off. Excited for the build bro.

ZHP oil pump nut PN: 11417897238

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast