Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: ZHP Steptronic Owners Guide to ATF

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    I will be having a local BMW indie shop do a dain / fill + filter change soon. My Car is at 67k miles and is a 2005 so pretty sure it's a GM AT.
    Shop said they will either use some "universal" ATF that meets BMW standards OR a Liquimoly ATF that is compatible with Dexron-VI
    BUT they also said I can bring whatever ATF I like, as long as it meets GM trans standards...

    Has anyone had any new experiences with ATF types since the last post which was a while ago? Is Maxlife still a popular choice? Any other ATFs i should be aware of?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Atlanta/Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I will be having a local BMW indie shop do a dain / fill + filter change soon. My Car is at 67k miles and is a 2005 so pretty sure it's a GM AT.
    Shop said they will either use some "universal" ATF that meets BMW standards OR a Liquimoly ATF that is compatible with Dexron-VI
    BUT they also said I can bring whatever ATF I like, as long as it meets GM trans standards...

    Has anyone had any new experiences with ATF types since the last post which was a while ago? Is Maxlife still a popular choice? Any other ATFs i should be aware of?
    I did a fluid swap about 3 years ago with this febi fluid that I found on FCP Euro (no longer available but it was SKU: FEB-32600). Seems to be working well and have had no issues since doing it. Not sure if you can find that on eBay or someplace else nowadays.

    2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    680
    Maxlife runs perfect in my truck but I had major cold start issues with it in my zhp.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Maxlife runs perfect in my truck but I had major cold start issues with it in my zhp.
    do you mean with Maxlife ENGINE oil?
    I was asking about Maxlife ATF.....
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    do you mean with Maxlife ENGINE oil?
    I was asking about Maxlife ATF.....
    Maxlife ATF. Cold start issue was after first starting on a cold morning and putting into gear, car did not want to move. Issue was resolved by filling transmission with higher viscosity fluid. I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum high mileage ATF. I tried many different ATFs. The Pennzoil seems to hit a sweet spot

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    Ah. Got it.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Maxlife ATF. Cold start issue was after first starting on a cold morning and putting into gear, car did not want to move. Issue was resolved by filling transmission with higher viscosity fluid. I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum high mileage ATF. I tried many different ATFs. The Pennzoil seems to hit a sweet spot
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMo View Post
    I did a fluid swap about 3 years ago with this febi fluid that I found on FCP Euro (no longer available but it was SKU: FEB-32600). Seems to be working well and have had no issues since doing it. Not sure if you can find that on eBay or someplace else nowadays.
    I was able to find a BMW factory trained indie mechanic who has a shop. Got him to do a drain / fill / filter change etc a few days ago using the same Febi fluid you mentioned. he was able to order it but it's also available to buy online. he said it's the best fluid he recommends and he did the procedure per the "book" and even sent me a video of him doing it. it wasn't cheap but his knowledge of factory procedures and flexibility and that he listened to my picky details about ATF type etc was worth it.

    The factory ATF at 73k was a bit dark looking but not too bad. Magnet looked OK. No metal shavings etc.

    Trans shifts very nicely (wasn't having any trouble before - just wanted peace of mind) - still in adaptation re-learning process, but the difference is pretty small right now. Need another 50 miles or so...
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Atlanta/Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    I was able to find a BMW factory trained indie mechanic who has a shop. Got him to do a drain / fill / filter change etc a few days ago using the same Febi fluid you mentioned. he was able to order it but it's also available to buy online. he said it's the best fluid he recommends and he did the procedure per the "book" and even sent me a video of him doing it. it wasn't cheap but his knowledge of factory procedures and flexibility and that he listened to my picky details about ATF type etc was worth it.

    The factory ATF at 73k was a bit dark looking but not too bad. Magnet looked OK. No metal shavings etc.

    Trans shifts very nicely (wasn't having any trouble before - just wanted peace of mind) - still in adaptation re-learning process, but the difference is pretty small right now. Need another 50 miles or so...
    Nice! Glad to know it was helpful

    2004 Titansilber Metallic BMW 330i ZHP

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    561
    Autozone.com
    Nice. Glad you got new fluid in there. Can't go wrong with the factory fill.

    It's unfortunate but I think trans fluid might be the most neglected fluid in cars.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Guide tabs for sunroof shade
    By BimmerWill in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 06:53 AM
  2. Newbie Guide to Detailing
    By M3TA5IN in forum Detailing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
  3. What is M Tech 1? E46 Bumper Guide
    By das boots in forum General -- ZHP Related
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM
  4. A Newbie's Guide to Autocross
    By spencers in forum Track and AutoX
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •