Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All new suspension, alignment is out of spec

Hey,
    Im trying to figure out why this is being caused...I just finished doing a suspension refresh on my zhp (lemforder parts)..I replaced struts, strut hats, control arms, control arm bushings, tierods and sway bar endlinks and on the back of the car i did the shocks and rear shock mount...everything came out and went back in without any real issue...

I went to an alignment this morning and the report says my caster on the front right is about a degree off...and driver side camber is about a degree off as well. (I dont have the report with me at the moment but I will post my alignment specs later today) my wheel is also not perfectly centered when tracking straight (though my steering angle is 0 degrees on the report)...since e46's dont have camber or caster adjustment, any idea of what is going on?

is it possible that because of the new parts that they just have to wear-in?
    any place to start looking specifically?

nothing is bent and it all went in smoothly, and to my knowledge things such as the strut hats are identical left and right, so it shouldnt throw off any measurements.

Got my measurements...only ones of concern are in bold
    Front left:
    Camber .1 deg should be -.4 to -1.1...would like to figure this one out
    Caster 5.3deg
    toe .12 deg

Front right:
    Camber -1.3 deg should be -.4 to -1.1...slightly more negative but not the cause of issue i dont think
    caster 4.6 deg should be 5.1 to 6.1...would like to figure this one out
    toe .11 deg

left rear:
    camber -1.7 deg should be -1.8 to -2.3 (only .1 off, not really worried)
    toe .15 deg

right rear:
    camber -2.1 deg
    toe .14 deg

steer head is .01deg
    thrust angle is .01 deg

Thanks for the input
    Last edited by yod88; 03-31-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Caster cannot be corrected. It is, what it is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Any accidents?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Caster cannot be corrected. It is, what it is.

correction -

it can be corrected with camber + caster adjustable top mounts. also, perhaps if the FCAB housing bolt holes were slotted...

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Any accidents?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    car aligned perfectly last time i had it done...this is specific to the install (off topic but your OB zhp looks great, haha)

updated initial post with alignment specs

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    correction -

it can be corrected with camber + caster adjustable top mounts. also, perhaps if the FCAB housing bolt holes were slotted...

peter
    Sure. Did not know you had this mod.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sounds like the alignment shop who just did it screwed up. One degree is quite a bit. You should be able to visually see that amount. Plus, the off center steering means they screwed up the thrust angle/toes. May want to take it somewhere else.

Sure. Did not know you had this mod.

Just to clarify, I am on stock suspension, no mods on the car

seems to me the caster on the front right is the primary reason why im pulling to the right...car wants to go where the least positive caster setting is in most situations correct?

Lol. Whatever man.

Lol. Whatever man.

? little confused...Slater was talking about camber plates, i was just clarifying to anyone reading that i dont have anything other than stock parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast