Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BMW revises OCI recommendation

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

So, somehow, by the power of greyskull, cars made before July 2013 are magically able to withstand longer OCI's.

Sometimes the over-enthusiastic enthusiasts are right. When they get this back down to 5-7.5k, we can all e-mail them at the same second: WE TOLD YOU SO!
    - Marc

I think condition based interval makes a whole lot of sense. 10k seems reasonable for a car that doesnt do hard miles. I usually do mine at after a track day if it is less than 7000 miles or 7000 miles.

I did mine at 2800 miles this year. It seems to keep the engine happy and bearing wear at a minimum.

Probably will keep it between 3-5k

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

BMW revises OCI recommendation

I don't see that big of a deal. I've yet to hear of someone's engine lasting longer because they changed their oil every 7500 instead of every 10-12k, even 15k.

Just my opinion. Like a quarter of all the Russians I know locally drive BMWs and change their oil every 15k and have never had issues oil related.

Besides, how are enthusiasts going to say "I told you so?" All you did was take BMWs figure and cut it in half. It's not as if fanatics conducted their own research to arrive at 7500 mile intervals.

Different story if you track your car, though.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    I did mine at 2800 miles this year. It seems to keep the engine happy and bearing wear at a minimum.

Probably will keep it between 3-5k

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree that preventative is best.

I curious do you have results that conclude that bearing wear increases with increased mileage oil say from 2500-7500 mile oil?

Granted its definitely conidtion based and how hard you are on the oil etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I agree that preventative is best.

I curious do you have results that conclude that bearing wear increases with increased mileage oil say from 2500-7500 mile oil?

Granted its definitely conidtion based and how hard you are on the oil etc etc.
    I didn't like first oil report with ~6400 miles on it. The flashpoint was below as well as a decent amount of fuel showed up in the oil.

This one done earlier this year showed much better levels.

Considering I have 30 liters of 10W-60 sitting in my garage (I seriously do). I don't mind doing shorter intervals.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

What did they attribute the doubling of Fe from?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    What did they attribute the doubling of Fe from?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA
    Here is what they wrote on my first report:

KYLE: This engine has a bad reputation for bearing wear, and we did find high iron and lead in this sample. Is this the dreaded S-54 bearing problem? It's hard to say, but if you're having any problems with oil pressure or temperatures, you might consider doing a little investigating. Universal averages show how metals should read after about 5,000 miles on the oil. All other metals look fine by comparison. Fuel at 1.8% is something to watch, but it may not be an
    issue at all if something operational explains it. No moisture or coolant found. Check back on iron/lead
    Oil temp fluctuated a bit during autocross and on the track (mainly because of lack of airflow during autocross and hard, constant driving during track), but considering it only maxed out around 220*F (our oil runs fairly 'cold') it always sit at 200*F during normal driving.

Yea this is revised on the Minis as well my car had the 10k interval. I think there is a TSB to lower the intervals on a few years earlier to that too.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari

Autozone.com
    Is there a way to program our car's OCI program to trigger sooner? I thought I read that somewhere.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast