Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Angel Eye Wiring Idea

Alright after a bit of research on angel eyes, I think I'm going to go with the 6000k Orion V2's. I'm worried about them being a bit too bright/blueish for my taste so after some googling, I found someone who wired a dimmer to the angel eyes to tone them down. (here). I also wouldn't mind having the angel eyes triggered by an on/off switch, because I'd like to have more of a stock look during the day time.

So this brings me to my idea. Electrical work isn't my strong point, so I apologize for any naive questions I throw out there. According to this thread, the LCM & LKM faceplates are interchangeable. Is it possible to wire a set of angel eyes into the rear fog switch? I believe face-lift cars aren't pre-configured for rear fogs, so would I have wire them directly to this switch?

And getting further into this, since there are different types of LKM faceplates ( 1 and 2 ), is it possible to wire the dimmer into the second dial switch (leveling?) on the LKM?

Hopefully I was clear enough with this and didn't sound too much like a rookie, but I haven't seen the back of these switches yet so I'm not sure what I'd be up against. I'm curious if I'd be able to do this through the actual LCM module using the LKM switch or if I can still achieve this through hard wiring the switches. I know this may seem like overkill but who doesn't enjoy extra control with an OEM look?

I don't have answers to your questions but I can offer some advice.

If you are absolutely set on Umnitza's angel eyes, make sure to ask that they check to see that the pair they will send you is 100% new. It's been a little over a year with mine and now one of the rings is half-mooning. As in half of the ring is on with the other 3, while one half section won't light up anymore. After talking with an (unaffiliated) insider, he told me that I must have received that from their "bad" batch. Having a facelift coupe, it'll be a PITA to re-bake the headlights to get it off and put another one in. Assuming they even honor the "lifetime warranty."

Secondly, if you've seen any of the new F30's with angel eyes, they are way brighter than the V2's. So if you don't mind those, then the regular setting on the V2's should be fine.

If not, I do believe Umnitza sells a night controller as an add-on option to the V2's.

I am not sure you can use the LCM switch to do it but a variable resistor is good for adjusting the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I like the V2's because they are:
    1) Not super bright
    2) Have a slight blue tinge (which I like, I think the V4's are more pure white)
    3) Distinct on E46s versus other brands

I've yet to see any E46s around here with V2's - I can tell since the other brands I've seen installed are either too thin for my liking or are obscured a little by either the shrouds or maybe the housing.

A buddy up north had V4's in his E60 housing when I went up a while back and I like it, don't get me wrong, but again, it's a matter of preference.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still hoping they will run another Black Friday special.

The V4's are too bright my taste as well. I might just pick up some V2's and wire in a dimmer. Still on the fence about tapping into the ECU or Fogs.

To add to this discussion: Dennis (imola red zhp) and I met up yesterday in SF. He has the V2's, I have Khoalty Helios. They look exactly the same. EXACTLY the same. Same color, same fitment.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm still hoping they will run another Black Friday special.
    This what I am waiting for as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    To add to this discussion: Dennis (imola red zhp) and I met up yesterday in SF. He has the V2's, I have Khoalty Helios. They look exactly the same. EXACTLY the same. Same color, same fitment.
    Interesting, I'm about to check them out now.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast