I spoke with a couple of folks during the meetup about some guidelines for taking our cars to the track/autocrosses, but I was wondering if we could get a sticky going with an overview similar to the the "words of wisdom - for the new guy" thread in the Maintenance section.

I'd love to take Scarlett to an Autox or a track day, but as she sits now at mechanically 100% stock I'm wondering how it all works as and what changes to consider.

Some initial questions are:

What are some necessary items to bring with you? Check on the car beforehand? Check after the day is over?

Are the M135 wheels and all-season Bridgestone RFT's good enough for a first timer, or am I looking into a whole set of dedicated event wheels/tires (e.g. lighter, squared 17's, etc)?

I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?

Which would be the best/easiest event to aim to start with, a track day or an autox? Why?

How is the insurance handled between the two? (I'm assuming an autox is less risky because...parking lot/traffic cones vs. tire walls/other fast cars all around you.)

What is the best avenue to find out about/register for upcoming events? (e.g. BMWCCA, SCCA, etc)?