Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beginner and/or "Track/Autox Guide" Sticky?

I spoke with a couple of folks during the meetup about some guidelines for taking our cars to the track/autocrosses, but I was wondering if we could get a sticky going with an overview similar to the the "words of wisdom - for the new guy" thread in the Maintenance section.

I'd love to take Scarlett to an Autox or a track day, but as she sits now at mechanically 100% stock I'm wondering how it all works as and what changes to consider.

Some initial questions are:

What are some necessary items to bring with you? Check on the car beforehand? Check after the day is over?

Are the M135 wheels and all-season Bridgestone RFT's good enough for a first timer, or am I looking into a whole set of dedicated event wheels/tires (e.g. lighter, squared 17's, etc)?

I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?

Which would be the best/easiest event to aim to start with, a track day or an autox? Why?

How is the insurance handled between the two? (I'm assuming an autox is less risky because...parking lot/traffic cones vs. tire walls/other fast cars all around you.)

What is the best avenue to find out about/register for upcoming events? (e.g. BMWCCA, SCCA, etc)?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

I've always heard driver mod is the best way to improve, should I just stop worrying and nit picking about the car; do the basic check overs and then show up and go for it?
    This is the best thing to do! Just going out there with your stock car will help you learn the basics. Chances are you won't be able to reach the limits of the stock car right away anyways.

Do a tech inspection. NCRC around here has a nice tech sheet that has some basic guidelines. http://www.ncracing.org/docs/carchecklist.pdf

Main ones would be:
    to make sure your brake fluid has been flushed in the last six months.
    no major leaks anywhere
    Tires have good enough tread
    and brake pads have enough life.

That sheet will help make sure your car is ready to go.

Insurance usually will frown upon track days, but if you go with BMW CCA where they call it a Driving school, they might still insurance while it is on the track. There are 3rd party companies where you set a total amount your car is worth and they will insure your car for a price with high deductible. It's better than paying the full replacement of the car.

I just recently completed my first auto-x last month with the next one being this weekend. I followed this guide for my first one.
    http://www.peachtreebmwcca.org/index...d=76&Itemid=67

As far as your specific questions based on what I have read.
    Don't do anything to your car for the first one. If it's something you would do more than just one time, buy a set of wheels with whatever tires. I just picked up a set of M68's with some Pirelli tires just because they were $400 and I have 18" ARC-8 with cheap Nexan tires on them that screamed. Plus, 17" are cheaper to replace.

Just show up. Make sure you don't have any major leaks and meat left on your brakes. That's about it. Also, make sure you have or can rent a Snell approved year 2005 or newer helmet. You probably won't get any higher than the top of 2nd gear, so that eliminates alot of the cause for concern about insurance. If the curbs,poles are too close then they need to adjust the track.

Do a search for your local BMW CCA to find their next events.

Beginner and/or "Track/Autox Guide" Sticky?

Yea just run your stock car. There is nothing wrong with that. Which ever track you choose, find out what their helmet requirements are. Most tracks require a snell rated helmet.

Edit: also some tracks require a Snell SA rating.
    To learn more about Snell ratings and general helmet FAQs visit www.smf.org
    Last edited by Sockethead; 05-07-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

If you modify your car, your just going to move from a stock class into a modified class and get hit with a less favouable pax multiplier as a result. That's the beauty of autoX. You can truly just run what your brung. The pax multiplier will take car of the differences between cars. At least that's the theory.

Before each event I check all my fluids and re-torque my lug nuts. When you get to the track you'll be required to remove all lose items from the car to pass tech inspection. So anything you don't want or need at the track should be removed from the car the night before.

There are threads on here about lifter tick on our cars after autoX runs. I've experienced it. Apart from a costly installation of a baffle in your oil pan, all you can do is make sure your oil is fully topped up (and some actually overfill a bit) and leave your engine running between runs.

This may vary from place to place, but where I am, your insurance is not valid on the autoX track. Make sure the club has insurance and that the club is making everyone on site (everyone, not just drivers) sign liability waivers. AutoX is low risk, but odds are you will be assuming some risk if you want to participate.

2008 128i ZSP Sedonarot

---

2004 330i ZHP Imolarot
    Conforti Shark Injector - Installation Pending!
    AFE Magnum FORCE Stage 1 PRO 5R Intake
    ECS Tuning Strut Bar
    ECS Tuning Magnetic Drain Plug
    German Auto Solutions DISA Gold Valve
    CDV Delete
    BSW and Polk Drivers
    Ziza LED Interior Kit
    Khoalty CREE LED Reverse Lights
    BMW strut tower reinforcement plates

I am doing BMW CCA and they group differently compared to SCCA. I am running B class in my 323ci with H&R race/Bilstein sports and the crappy Nexan (340 rated tires). Next month I'll have time to put on the PSS coilovers and change to the better rated tires (220) and still stay in B class....barely.

I've always wondered about insurance and tracking. I wouldn't want to risk not having a payout.
    In the market for an E90 M3

So many questions just answered! Makes me more confident for when I head to a track event and autox event

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    So many questions just answered! Makes me more confident for when I head to a track event and autox event
    Mods/Bosses, any chance we could add this as a sticky for future additions and reference?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I'll try to get to this within a couple days. Pretty busy but already a lot of good information.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast