Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

bmw says my co-workers car needs a steering rack, just looking for advice

Have any of you had your steering get a little sluggish, as in takes a little more effort to turn or its less responsive? (almost sounds like a pump to me) BMW suggested that my co-worker's car have a new p/s rack installed to the tune of $2800. It's not leaking, they said its internal. If it was a leak I would tell her to wait a moment before dropping that kind of $ on a repair.

She kind of wants to get rid of the car over this. Its a 2005 325i. They feel as though BMW is throwing a dart at this problem.

Has anyone had to replace a rack due to a no-leak problem? What were your symptoms before doing so? I'm just trying to help them out.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Posting to FB as well.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Start with a flush and refill. If not that, Rack doctor will fix the problem. There are internal seals that leak by or could be clogged increasing effort needed to turn the wheel.

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

"No flamesuit required"

My steering is rather "heavy" (not anything outrageous, but enough for me to notice) , but I assumed it was just the way the car was naturally. Now I am thinking this might be the case for my car. Who knows!

From Geoff Camp: Mine is suffering from this right now, it's gradually getting worse. Was thinking of replacing the rack.

Thanks for all of the reply's! Serioursly you guys are the bestest!!!

I appreciate it. I will tell her what's up

I figured the pumps go bad on these cars more often than the racks. That's mainly what I hear about with E46's. I only questioned it because the tech working on her car is an over confident guesser
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

"No flamesuit required"

I had the rack go bad on my xi, it started making a popping noise when turning. It would bind up then "pop". I got my rack from this place http://www.buy-steering.com/addtocar.../80-00908.html it was a fully rebuilt OEM one. Had the BMW part number on it and everything.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to sheet his pant's." Enzo Ferrari