Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    Ah ok, that all makes sense. Hopefully they have some aggressive value when purchasing at the end of a lease.

35% on the front? Cray talk! lol. I'm old and my eyes aren't as sharp as they were, but it would be great for oncoming lights for sure. I had Air 80 on the front, and TBH, the only difference I noticed in heat was in the first 10 minutes. After that, the car felt as hot as no windshield tint, so I don't think I'll spend that money again myself.

Good plans for mods for a lease vehicle, and good plan on waiting 2 years to go further. Just don't be like me, and kick yourself for selling your ZHP 2 years from now.
    I also chose to lease as opposed to purchase because I'm hoping BMWFS is way off on their residuals for these early cars. With the Bolt and the Model III coming to market with claims of up to 200 miles battery range I sure hope the i3's resale/residual is much less than they expect. My residual is estimated at $35k , if cars like it are only selling for $20k then I can attempt to buy the car at a lesser price than what they estimated it would be worth. $20k is my goal, it's aggressive, it might be a bit unreasonable but between the below invoice price on the car, the tax incentive and hopefully another $15k off at the end of the lease, I hope to have paid about $32k for a $55,850 MSRP vehicle. We'll see what happens, Tesla is slow at delivering cars and rumors are that Chevy is having trouble getting that 200 mile range they said the Bolt would have. It's a gamble!

I LOVED the 35% on the ZHP windshield. It did make for some dark traveling at night, but that car wasn't driven too much or too far at night. Did you have ceramic on the car your taking about? It's supposed to be better at reflecting heat, but I haven't had a vehicle with it yet. In all actuality, like the ZHP, this car will only be outside about 4 days per repeating 4-week schedule. 52 days per year, maybe half of those will be warm. But I want the high reflectivity for traveling between covered parking spots too, hopefully work the AC as little as possible.

I will always miss my ZHP. I miss all of my cars I've had and let go, I can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    3D Design makes some nice lips but they are pretty expensive.

I would definitely wait for better options for the suspension. The car is still a niche product and it has limited aftermarket options until people start deciding to modify them. Perhaps call suspension companies and see if they are willing to prototype stuff with your car and you could get a massive discount on the car?

Either way, enjoy it! I wish my commute was short enough to use one of these badboys.
    Yup, waiting for aftermarket goodies is one of the caviats to buying something low production volume. I wish I lived near an aftermarket company so I could offer the car as a tester, but I don't. Rumors are that Eibach is working on a set of springs for the car. I'm going to have to get back into the grove of making car payments so not having a lot of modding options yet is probably best for my credit card anyway, haha.

On regards of the tint,

3m Crystalline is the best in reflecting heat. It is scary good and come in 70% tint options. It is expensive though but it does it's job very well if you don't want the darkness and great heat reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
    I LOVED the 35% on the ZHP windshield.
    That sounds pretty awesome, but wayyyy too dark at night. I have 70% and kinda regret not going 55%. 35 does look really good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hcbeck2689 View Post
    That sounds pretty awesome, but wayyyy too dark at night. I have 70% and kinda regret not going 55%. 35 does look really good though

we aren't even allowed anything in the front or side front windows

I don't think it is technically legal to tint the windshield anywhere, by but could be wrong. I went with legal on the doors and back glass. I did 70 on windshield because it is not that noticeable.

Sucks you can't tint your windows. A lot of times you can get a prescription for it though. I know that in NC an eye doctor can write me a prescription and I can get a sticker from dmv to put on my window that permits darker tint. I have a few friends that got this after they had lasik.

I don't think it is technically legal to tint the windshield anywhere, by but could be wrong. I went with legal on the doors and back glass. I did 70 on windshield because it is not that noticeable.

Sucks you can't tint your windows. A lot of times you can get a prescription for it though. I know that in NC an eye doctor can write me a prescription and I can get a sticker from dmv to put on my window that permits darker tint. I have a few friends that got this after they had lasik.

Yea the front windshield is usually pretty illegal. lol

California Law:
    Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
    Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
    Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
    Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
    http://tintlaws.com/california-window-tint-law.php

:shh I have either 35% or 20% all around.

Llumar air 80 is definitely legal in NC, but I think it is the limit of what is allowed because it is effectively clear. And it is ceramic.

I did it solely for heat reduction and after 10 minutes in the sun I couldn't tell the difference.

If it were $55 on top of a $200 job I'd probably consider it, but it's $125 on top of a $250 job. And since it's the front, I've never seen it discounted on a groupon.

D: @msrp. Owned your ZHP for 9 years??????? Wow man I have a feeling you might regret getting rid of something that you loved enough to own for 9 years. The car is so cool though! and 75 miles? I can see why you have range anxiety. Damn!

1. put "GET SOME" on the license plate.
    2. Stoplight Drag Race everyone to 30.
    3. Double tap brake lights and hit hazards, slow down.
    4. Give them the "sup son?" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the next light.
    5. ???
    6. Profit!

I'd have two concerns. 1. Getting home, I'm sure AX would smoke the range. (I guess you could just carry a gas can, right?) 2. Sidewall roll causing tarmac damage to the wheels.

Any cheap track wheel fitments out there for it?
    Somehow I missed this post JB3.

Yeah, I almost made it 9 years with the ZHP, bought her CPO'd with 32,500 on the clock, sold her 8 years 10 months and 28 days later, she rolled 130,000 the morning I sold her. I'll always miss the car, I miss all of my old vehicles, thats the longest time I've owned something though for sure, I haven't even ever owned a house that long, haha.

The 75 miles in range mentioned in what you quoted is the additional range provided by the REx, the battery pack has between 80 and 100 miles in it to begin with, the REx will recharge the battery for an additional 75'ish miles. I've seen anywhere between 60 and 100 estimated additional REx miles. The car really does have to guess how far it can go; it bases most of its guessing on the past 18 miles driven, so if you drive like a granny you'll see the high end of the spectrum, if you drive it like its stolen, you'll see the lower end.

Some stop light drag racing sounds like fun, if only people did that anywhere near where I live maybe I could make part of the payment with it, lol.

Yes, some people do carry a fuel can in the un-sealed "frunk" (front trunk). I considered buying one for the trip back from ATL, but I had already determined that there were plenty of fuel stations between the two cities and I didn't mind getting out once per hour to stretch and walk around as I had had very little sleep the previous few days (was too excited!!). That would be an option for Auto-X too, bring it with, leave it somewhere while playing, then fill up before leaving. As for the tires, yes, they do have a tendency to have more damage to them because they run a little more "flatter" than a typical tire to gain that missing contact patch back. That said, I would probably bump up the pressures just a bit, this would lessen the contact patch a little but would most likely keep the tires from being damaged. I would certainly want to look at the course first, back in the day I would always walk it beforehand, I guess a lot of people do that, but I would especially be paying attention to any rough pavement area's for this car. Might have to take it a little easy in any areas that might look sketchy, this would certainly affect run-times but I really want to try out Auto-X to get better familiar with handling emergency situations in the car. The ZHP was the closest thing to a sports car I had owned and I was much younger then, I wasn't very comfortable with having the traction control off in the car until after I put her through some precarious situations at Auto-X. I hope to learn similar things about the i3 by doing this. There are only a handful of aftermarket wheels out for it, actually, probably less than a handful. But again, I'd like to learn how the car will react to certain situations in a semi-controlled environment on the wheels and tires I daily drive on. Hopefully they won't get too torn up. I haven't located a distributor for replacements yet, but I've read they they only run about $175/tire. Thats a stark contrast to what the 19" Pilot Super Sports I had on the ZHP cost. So, that said, if I do tear one, or two up, I'll just chock it up to part of the learning experience.

On regards of the tint,

3m Crystalline is the best in reflecting heat. It is scary good and come in 70% tint options. It is expensive though but it does it's job very well if you don't want the darkness and great heat reflection.
    Thanks! My preferred tint shop uses 3M tints, I had 3M on the ZHP (not ceramic though), held up very well.

It was a bit dark at night but over the course of two years or so that I had it done, I rarely encountered a situation where it seemed un-safe. I would prefer 55'ish% myself, hopefully they can accommodate that in ceramic.

Time to move, plus front plates? NExT!

Illegal here too, you can get a pass though for medical reasons (probably in other states too). It is very vague and I went through the trouble of getting a letter from my optometrist for the ZHP but I never completed the process of sending the letter to the state and getting a sticker (that I would have never put on the car) that is supposed to indicate to police that the windshield is permitted to be tinted. Typically I just shy'd away from areas of town that are known to have more active police enforcement. Or if going through them I would open the sunroof shade or open the roof to allow more light into the car. I can't do this on the i3 though because the US didn't get the awesome sunroof that is available nearly everywhere else.

Yea the front windshield is usually pretty illegal. lol

California Law:

http://tintlaws.com/california-window-tint-law.php

:shh I have either 35% or 20% all around.
    Your secrets are safe with us here on the WWW, haha.

Llumar air 80 is definitely legal in NC, but I think it is the limit of what is allowed because it is effectively clear. And it is ceramic.

I did it solely for heat reduction and after 10 minutes in the sun I couldn't tell the difference.

If it were $55 on top of a $200 job I'd probably consider it, but it's $125 on top of a $250 job. And since it's the front, I've never seen it discounted on a groupon.
    Excellent points, yes, price will be of concern and thanks for reminding me about groupon. A few years back I helped my sis get her windows tinted on her now totaled Jetta (RIP Baby J) at my preferred tint shop through Groupon. I will be looking into that after submitting this reply

- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR-AWD '21-
    - 2014 CPO i01 BEV Capparis White Tera World, '17-'20
    - 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-'18 R.I.P
    - 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
    - 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

No Groupons on tint currently in my area except for one place that comes to you to do the job? Sounds shady, Memphis is a little, well, you just have to be careful. Anyhow, a local e46 M3 owner I somewhat know posted on a local FB group a couple of head-rests for his M3 that he had dressed up with some color stitching. Apparently its DIY and looks amazing, he used a method found on an Acura NSX forum http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...olor-Stitching. Looks very nice. I saw all of this yesterday and then today I spent some time in the i3 and realized there is quite a bit of stitching it the car that just kind of blends in. How cool would it be to find some blue thread that matches the exterior accents and bring that color inside? Looks to be a tedious task but do'able with the right tools and some patience. It would probably be something I would wait until after the lease is up to do. I searched for an example of blue but couldn't find any that were good so here is an example of white.

Dust/pollen and bird poo rinse, needs a bath but the forecast calls for a chance of rain every day this week.

Love the lighting schemes on the car, someone at BMW had a lot of fun creating them. Yes, that interior light is blue, its not an IG effect.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast