Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    Welcome to the ZHP club! I just got an '04 Titanium Silver vert a couple of months ago and like you, love it very much.

Since you're a Nissan/Infiniti tech and you offered <evil grin>... Question for you. I'll try to make the background really short, then ask the question.

TL;DR: Skip to last paragraph.

My wife's DD is a 2012 Altima S. A few months ago at about 58,000 miles, the brake light started coming on. It was due for an oil change anyway, so we took it in and found out the master cylinder was leaking into the booster. On a 3-4 year old car with less than 60k miles. $650 to replace. I was a little annoyed so I told them to hold off. Went back and did some research and found out it was a common issue, there was a tech bulletin and even a voluntary service campaign that appears to cover ALL 07-12 Altimas. Sweet!

FontSize

So, I engaged with Nissan Customer Relations, gave them all the relevant info including VIN, age, one-owner car, etc. and they called back a few days later and said my car wasn't included in the campaign. The CSR was a total robot, incapable of answering anything "off-script" about why my car wasn't included, and why none of the service campaign information made any exceptions, i.e. it was all-inclusive. I got nowhere and gave up.

So, I wrote a very polite and professional "I'm not too happy" email to Nissan, and received a call back a few days later that was nearly a carbon copy of the first, almost like we'd never spoken, informing me that my car wasn't included in the campaign. Again, totally on-script. It was even the same CSR, but it was like he had no idea we'd spoken once already. It was bizarre.

So, I wrote another polite and professional email to Nissan, but this time informing them that because I was now questioning the quality of Nissan parts and engineering, but more importantly because of how they'd handled the situation, that even though we were on our second Nissan and are considering replacing the Altima, that now it would almost certainly not be a Nissan or Infiniti product. I then received yet another call, again from the CSR, who again sounded like we'd never spoken. When I pressed this time, again asking how it's possible that the voluntary service campaign made no exceptions, that even though the service campaign explicitly talks about reimbursing for repairs done out of warranty, that somehow my wife's car was mysteriously excepted... The best he could do was suggest that maybe if I went ahead with the repairs and submitted them, that perhaps they may reimburse me for the repairs per the campaign.

I've had it at this point. We're replacing the Altima. We were going to trade it to a car dealer and not care, but it sounds like I found a nice clean X3 to replace it for my wife's driver, which means we'll be selling the Altima privately, which means I need to fix the master cylinder.

Finally... To the question...

Seems like the master cylinder OE part is around $250-300. I'm a fairly technical guy, comfortable with repairs and maintenance... Been around cars my whole life, but never messed with brakes other than replacing pads. Given that I'm selling the car, is it something I can/should do myself, or should I suck it up and let a shop do it so I have documentation and no liability? If you don't think I should do it, should I go indy shop to save some cash, or Nissan dealer?

Sorry for the long email... Feels good to get it off my chest.

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
    SC
    I'm really sorry this happened to you. We don't get a ton of nissans in just because we got that dealer a year ago we mainly do infinitis. I would take it to a shop. It's a tight squeeze to do yourself and easy to break off parts in the area. Plus if you are going to sell it depending on the state u could be liable for the repair if something happens to the new owner. You could take it to an independent shop u trust if you want to save a bit. But make sure you get a receipt saying they changed it so they are liable if something happens. If you have further questions you can PM me. Sorry again and good luck
    Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci Zhp Silver
    1984 Mercedes 300D Gold
    1998 BMW M3 Black
    2008 Subaru Wrx Blue (Sold)

Welcome! Newish member of the club myself! Great club to be a part of here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Bunch of very nice people from what I can tell
    Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci Zhp Silver
    1984 Mercedes 300D Gold
    1998 BMW M3 Black
    2008 Subaru Wrx Blue (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TitanZHP View Post
    Thanks! Bunch of very nice people from what I can tell
    The best Welcome! Gorgeous coupe!!

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Yup, welcome and congrats!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Welcome, you will love this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanZHP View Post
    If you have further questions you can PM me. Sorry again and good luck
    Thanks for the info! Pretty much how I was thinking, so the advice is much appreciated. Sorry to clutter up your welcome thread!

Regards,
    SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Welcome local ZHP owner!

Welcome! Assuming you have/had a Titan too? We bought a new one in 2006 and sold it late 2010. That was a great truck, except for the interior falling apart. We decided to sell it since it was just more than we needed. We've had an 02 X5 ever since, for the wife's daily and for me to pull the trailer around when I need to. The best thing is it takes up much less space in the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast