Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Upgrading" from Xenon to Halogen

Hi folks,
    My ZHP came with ZKW Xenon lamps and projectors are beginning to fade reducing the light performance.
    I never really cared for xenons anyways or how they look, is it possible to easily swap to Halogen lamps? (changing the whole assembly)
    Has anyone done this in the past? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wookim.design View Post
    Hi folks,
    My ZHP came with ZKW Xenon lamps and projectors are beginning to fade reducing the light performance.
    I never really cared for xenons anyways or how they look, is it possible to easily swap to Halogen lamps? (changing the whole assembly)
    You do know that halogens are inferior in their performance, right? I've never seen anyone go from Xenon to halogen, and for very good reason.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Have a retrofit performed

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    You do know that halogens are inferior in their performance, right? I've never seen anyone go from Xenon to halogen, and for very good reason.

Pretty sure that's why "upgrading" is in quotes.

S7 Edge, out
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by wookim.design View Post
    Hi folks,
    its easier to just swap to an AL housing.

I've done this temporarily before. Basically you'd swap in the halogen assembly, plug in the high beam/low beam connectors, remove $522 from your VO, and recode your LCM. The auto leveling and bixenon shutter connections will stay unplugged.

Do you just love Halogen or would you be ok with a Xenon fix? Just curious, as it appears you know Xenons are technically better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    I've done this temporarily before. Basically you'd swap in the halogen assembly, plug in the high beam/low beam connectors, remove $522 from your VO, and recode your LCM. The auto leveling and bixenon shutter connections will stay unplugged.
    What is VO? I dont have a love for halogens but dont really care for xenons either. Just looking for simple ways to fix lights without doing retrofits or putting used AL assemblies. I could put in new AL units but they are pretty darn expensive so I thought new halogen units would be a nice way to satisfy my needs.

VO is Vehicle Order. It is a listing of vehicle options in a format that modules in your car understand. The VO needs to be modified so that your car thinks it has halogen lights instead of Xenon's so it doesn't throw bulb out errors or otherwise behave in a strange way when the lights are activated. It requires coding to do.

On an effort scale, used AL assemblies are the easiest route. Take old out, put new ones in - done. Halogens require coding. Obviously a retrofit is the most work but has the best results in terms of output.

Just curious - what's the problem with used AL units? You did say you looked at new AL units so I figured I'd ask. They don't burn out like the ZKW ones do, so they will perform the same as new.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

So i got a used Al headlamp assembly and put it on the passenger side. Turned on the headlights and its not working (why i didnt want to get one used). Does it need recoding LCM to work? Flash-to-pass works but not xenon stuff (low and high beam).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast