Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I picked up a set of the oem gray 6 pistons that needed to be rebuilt, and the stop tech rebuild kits should be here any day now... next is just shaving down the stock 135 bracket and mounting the new ones on the car... I'll be into them for about $1,200 like the ecs kit, but I'll have the upgraded pistons, and I just received my Hard Brakes titanium brake pad heat shields... I do think the yellow calipers would be pretty on the car though!

Here's a pic from my test fit earlier this week!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I've spent lots of time talking to brake experts in search of track day materials for my MINI. different car, same physics. Bbk will not decrease your stopping distance/time. It will give you greater repeatability under stressful conditions as it will dissipate heat enormously better than stock. Also, adding a "bbk" to the rear is pure bling (not that theres anything wrong with that). Finally, adding unsprung, rotational mass to your car has downsides for performance, too. Not sure if these kits are heavier than stock or not.

If you want looks, this is your route. If you want to improve heat dissipation and consistency, swap out pads, and get direct cooling to those rotors.
    - Marc

They are both larger and lighter, but that could be accomplished by replacing the rotors with the included oem performance rotor that is a couple lbs lighter than stock. However, the caliper itself it also a little lighter than the stock cast iron hunk of metal we start with.
    I believe you are overlooking a few things on how the bbk can help. The multiple piston design allows for a more uniform application of pressure to the rotor surface, helping both rotor and pad last longer. While aggressive pads and rotors can help increase stopping power, they also heat up the rotors quicker, leading to earlier overheating. I like the look, but really I'm just preparing to run at Watkin's Glen this summer... I got brake fade at Autocross with the stock brakes, aggressive pads, and ate gold fluid... I could only imagine what a real track would do to me.

Sent from Tapatalk

No doubt- agreed on all points there. It will most likely come down to your goals for the car. The occasional track day will suit these stock brakes fine, plus they look friggin great. While there might be more durable aftermarket options out there, that might be too hardcore.

One thing to add re autox and tracks: autox can be more likely to induce fade since there are no triple digit speed straights to cool everything down. I actually had a Wilwood caliper on fire after a session at Jefferson circuit which is tight and short with limited room to get going. That's also because ducts that don't attach to the rotor don't do much on minis, not sure about the zhp ducts.
    - Marc

Chad, where did you order the stoptech parts? I might as well look into it since it's coming eventually.

I will be doing a whole write up and DIY, but I got them at thmotorsports.com.
    $363.36 shipped for 12 pistons, dust boots and seals. That's the same as what Turner sells for $450.

Sent from Tapatalk

Thanks Chad!

Only thing I couldn't find is the 32mm pressure seal listed.

So far I've seen

28mm, 32mm, 36mm short pistons and dust boots and the 28mm, 36mm pressure seals.

There are kits that include pistons, seals and boots. I'll post the part numbers.

Sent from Tapatalk

Upon checkout I used coupon code 5offFive for 5% off also.

Sent from Tapatalk

thanks Chad. Too bad the code doesn't work anymore.

Also the part numbers for the short and long pistons are identically oddly enough. Make sure to people know to get the short ones

Also each kit ordered is enough for one caliper. So total of 6 rebuild kits are ordered. :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast